So, the muscle in back of my thigh is bothering me. What now?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

MissAbby09

Everytime I do my saddle strech or right splits, the muscle directly under my butt and behind my thigh hurts. It's holding me back because I know I can strech farther and go further down but it hurts too much. Should I just bite my lip and strech it out anyway? Or do you think I overstreched it and should give it a break?

BTW, does anyone know what the muscle I'm talking about is called?

It sounds like you have stimulated what is known as a stretch reflex. This can turn into a chronic dilemma and become something much worse. Continuing to stress the area with even more trauma means you may be inflicting micro tears on the muscles and the pain and damage will transmit into the tendons.

I would give that leg a rest for three weeks and eliminate anything that induces stress or pain. After three weeks I would then start up resistance stretching, isometric stretching, and PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation) stretching. If you again begin to induce a stretch reflex then you should wait another 3 to 6 weeks before you try again to overcome the propensity to induce a stretch reflex. I do not recommend that you resort back to passive static stretching for at least a year.

I did the same thing this past January. I went to a Doc. and it turned out I strained the tippy-top of my hamstring. One month of physo. made it all better though!!

I am probably not the best one to go for to get advice like this, but I recently have felt pain there too. It is all gone now. Have you been working more than usual, or starting a new intense workout? Pain and aches can occur when your body still may be adjusting and is not use to doing that much work. I didn't workout for about 3 days, and I am now all better. Remember to gradually build up to intensity. The best overall advice though is to see a doctor. They know a lot more about this stuff than an online fourm. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back