Coaches sole circle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
Hi all,

A couple of our gymnasts have a competition in 2 weeks and are still really struggling with the piked sole circle (the one where they cast and pike on, circle around the bar until almost back to the top and then catch the high bar)

Any tips?

The gymnasts aren't allowed to bend their legs during the skill and it isn't supposed to go all the way round to stop on top of the bar. The girls are both struggling with getting their chests up and leaving their feet behind them to push away from the low bar.

One is much closer than the other. Also the one who isn't so close won't do them on the strap bar as she had a bad experience and refuses to do them on strap bar now!!

All help appreciated!

Almost everyone bends their legs on the second half of that especially to begin with. If they have to compete it in 2 weeks I would take the bent leg deduction just to keep them on the bar.

If they can't bend they'll probably need a later pike on to build rotation. Later pike on of course takes more conditioning and control. If they aren't ready I might agree with the above, the bent leg deduction is probably less than a fall and at least they're learning the mechanics of the hand shift over the top, etc.

I said this on another thread, make sure they are not regrasping their hands all the way over the bar when the feet come on. This is common in less advanced gymnasts. You will see them put the feet on, pick the hands up and put them OVER the bar, then fall back. It should drop back like another circling skill.

Also make sure they are circling with the ball of their feet when they are under the bar.

multiple pike circles without stopping on strap bar (compress at the bottom of the swing). for the one that won't do tham, start her in the compression at the bottom, swing her pushing up on her back, then go over (be careful). Or set up two blocks with space in between and spot standing in front (they'll be facing you) pushing/pulling from the hip while she is under the bar. hard to explain. From this set up they can also stand in straddle with one foot on each block (rather than starting in front support) and jump to the pike position under the bar and try the circle (practice later pike on). But that is a bit hard.

Last edited:
@ Dunno, No, sorry no video, I'd have to get permission from parents.

Yeah we tried the later pike on tonight. I think the girls are both bending their knees anyway but still aren't making it! Will see what they make of the strap bar on Thurs!

These actually aren't my gymnasts but I told them I'd do some research! I really don't know why they aren't getting it as they are quite advanced gymnasts really, its just that this competition has sole circle as a requirement!

Thanks for all your advice so far!

@ Dunno, No, sorry no video, I'd have to get permission from parents.

Yeah we tried the later pike on tonight. I think the girls are both bending their knees anyway but still aren't making it! Will see what they make of the strap bar on Thurs!

These actually aren't my gymnasts but I told them I'd do some research! I really don't know why they aren't getting it as they are quite advanced gymnasts really, its just that this competition has sole circle as a requirement!

Thanks for all your advice so far!

How close are they? If they're close enough to get on top but just can't get all the way up and balance on the bar, they might have to jump faster. Also make sure they are shifting the wrists on top, not death gripping and leaving the hands under the bar, or trying to move them too early (not usually an issue with this skill in my experience, but possible I suppose).

You might also try it from a straddle on? Maybe that would help? you kind of have to be "pulling" on the bar (shoulder extension) and sort of pressing with the feet....not sure how to explain it. this is where swings under the bar, even with a push, trying to work on the mechanics could help

On strap bar, also try 3 sole circles ticking to get round, then the last one piked all the way. Shifting wrists properly is something to check for that I always miss. Make sure the bar is positioned on the foot in the correct position. I knew one gymnast that flexed her feet right up as she got underneath the bar and it completely killed her rotation.

Is this a grade? Which grade has this requirement?

Hi all,
Sorry I didn't see a couple of your posts!

Missbear - it was for Regional Grade 9 - If they tucked at the top of the bar it would have been a void move, losing 0.5 from their start value.

However...

One of the girls did it for the first time in the competition yesterday! Amazing what a bit of adrenaline does for you! The other didn't make it, but guess what? She did it over and over again at gym tonight! Typical!

They didn't actually do any on the strap bar - mainly because of the 'fear factor' from when the one hurt herself but they did hundreds with support and lots and lots of encouragement! I'm not actually sure what worked for them in the end - I'll ask them on Thursday when I next see them!

I'm so pleased they finally got it, even if one was a day late for the competition!
Thanks for all your help, I did pass it on, and I'll certainly be using some of your ideas with my own gymnasts.

One big thing I did pick up on was gymdog's point about not putting hands right under the bar straight away - I noticed that they both did that! Like I said before, I'll ask them on Thursday what it was that made it click and see what they say, then I'll report back!

Congratulations on the girls finally getting this skill. I know gymnasts who struggled for a month or two with this skill and when competitions loomed the 'I want to do well' replaced the 'I am scared (death grip on bar)'

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back