Sole Circle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

teena82

I have trouble leaning over the bar on my squat-ons so I want to start working sole circles. Any tips?

bad idea....and where do you end up on the bar after you complete the sole circle? think...if you can't squat on the bar and have not learned to fall backwards and forwards out of that skill, what do you think might happen if you learn the sole circle and end up on top of the bar or short on either side? think...

learn your squat on!

This is precisely why we don't don't teach compulsories the sole circle sometimes if they are still struggling with a squat on.

Why is learning a sole circle a bad idea? My previous training group had several girls struggling with their squat ons out of clear hip-kips, winding up too far backwards. One of them decided to work on sole circles, did extra hours to learn them at the end of our competition season, and now has a nice sole circle that is much more consistent than her squat on. We'd done tons of kip-squat ons but the sole circle was just more effective for her.

simply because it is skipping a step in their sequential/progressive basics. what you have described above ^^^ comes from uncontrollable swing on the glide after the clear hip and they either hit their feet on the floor and barely kip up or have kips that "jerk back" and can't get to support far enough to do a squat on. this comes from lack of strength , rhythym & coordination. if they don't learn how to connect these 2 skills, the kip cast squat on, they will have a daunting task of learning how to kip cast to handstand.

are there exceptions to the rules? yes. and it then depends what level athlete you have and what the goals and objectives are for uneven bars.

Ah, I see. I think this girl is definitely more of an exception to the rule...her problem was definitely not strength, since her kip out of a clear hip is not a struggle. She can do a kip cast handstand no problem...but I can see why in some cases the cause could be a poor kip cast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back