split leaps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jasmynn

Coach
Proud Parent
What are some tips for working on split leaps? She has a good split but not whe
n leaping

our coach makes us put ankle weighs on and once you do some with the weights on, when you take them off suddenly your split is so much better
also she makes us spilt leap onto a box, i dont find this drill as good but it still works.
hope this helps :)

Split leaps are not something she should work on at home, for so many reasons. Plit leaps with weight should only be done with a coach.

Generally the problem is that she has good static flexibility (like sitting in splits) but lacks dynamic flexibility (like throwing her legs into the split position).

Dynamic flexibility is different to static flexibility and both must be trained. Doing kicks helps - to the front, side and back. Also hanging from a bar and throwing legs up into the split position as well as practicing split jumps on a trampoline.

Ankle weights are a bad idea. They are good for kicks but not for jumping and landing. There is too much of a chance to damage the ankle.
Therabands and a trampoline seem to work the active flex really well. Hanging from a bar while doing them with the bands is also good.

Generally the problem is that she has good static flexibility (like sitting in splits) but lacks dynamic flexibility (like throwing her legs into the split position).

Dynamic flexibility is different to static flexibility and both must be trained. Doing kicks helps - to the front, side and back. Also hanging from a bar and throwing legs up into the split position as well as practicing split jumps on a trampoline.

What makes someone have static and dynamic flexibility? What makes someone only have one? Maybe this is a dumb question, but is it something that just needs to be trained, and then everyone can have 100% flexibility in both areas, or is it a physical thing that some people won't be able to achieve? I have heard that when you have a lot of muscle, your flexibility is reduced (I assume static). Does anyone know what physically makes a person have dynamic flexibility? How is it different from static flexibility?

Try telling her to push her toes pointed when jumping up. When I do, I get a much better spilt and it's easier to do. Before doing some spilt leaps, get her to sit in spilts for awhile. That may help too.

Put a block out and step on to the block with the leg you dont leap with and leap off with the other (step on the side), this also works off a wedge or a beatboard just make sure to land on something squishy. another great drill would be to go on the p-bars with one hand on each bar and hold your self up in front support then split your legs fast then bring them back together, as these get easier add ankle weights. Good luck :D

What makes someone have static and dynamic flexibility? What makes someone only have one? Maybe this is a dumb question, but is it something that just needs to be trained, and then everyone can have 100% flexibility in both areas, or is it a physical thing that some people won't be able to achieve? I have heard that when you have a lot of muscle, your flexibility is reduced (I assume static). Does anyone know what physically makes a person have dynamic flexibility? How is it different from static flexibility?

I don't know if this is the dif betwen static/dynamic? - but I do know the answer why great flex on floor may not translate at all to a split in the air: STRENGTH!! It requires not a shred of muscle to use your body weight to slide down into a split. I've even wondered if low muscle tone makes splits easier. But to split in the air you need huge strength.
Eg: how far can you split? Yes I really do mean you. Go try it. Now it should be easy to raise one leg in the air to the same extent you can split - right? Wrong! And that's just raising one leg in the air. To split jump you have to raise both at once.It takes plenty of strength/power.

I don't know if this is the dif betwen static/dynamic? - but I do know the answer why great flex on floor may not translate at all to a split in the air: STRENGTH!! It requires not a shred of muscle to use your body weight to slide down into a split. I've even wondered if low muscle tone makes splits easier. But to split in the air you need huge strength.
Eg: how far can you split? Yes I really do mean you. Go try it. Now it should be easy to raise one leg in the air to the same extent you can split - right? Wrong! And that's just raising one leg in the air. To split jump you have to raise both at once.It takes plenty of strength/power.

Thanks! This is an interesting observation and test. I actually can go down into 180 degree splits on both sides, and I can hold each leg above horizontal just standing there like you said. I can also do 180 degree split leaps. So there has to be something to this!! But I know people who I feel are stronger than I am, and they have trouble holding their leg to horizontal. Maybe it is different muscles or something.

Any one else have any ideas?

We do tramploline split jumps. For some reason, alot of times , they need to learn motion flexibility. It takes some time, but she will get it.

When you talk about static or dynamic stretching then you need to also specify what type of static or dynamic stretching you mean.

Static stretching can be passive and it can be active. Dynamic can also be passive or active. The difference is whether you are contracting, tightening, or using the muscles that you are stretching. Or whether you are contracting the muscles that are opposite of the stretching or elongating muscles. In passive stretching your muscles are completely relaxed and not exerting any force to perform the stretch. In active stretching you are tightening the muscles that you are stretching or contracting the opposite muscles.

For example, if you tighten the top of your front leg on a split leap and stretch the bottom of your front leg then this is an active dynamic stretch. But if you completely relax the top and bottom of your front leg on split leap then you have performed a passive dynamic stretch. Both sides of the stretch were passive. Hence, passive dynamic.

The key to great split leaps is your ability to capitalize on active stretching. In a split leap the front leg should have the underside muscles completely relaxed and the top muscles should be contracting and shortening as much as possible to hold the front leg high. The back leg has its back muscles tightening and shortening and contracting while the front part is relaxed.

Your ability to contract the opposite muscles that are being stretched is called contraction strength. This is the ability of your muscles to shorten in length and hold weight. (mostly the weight of its own limb).

A good way to develop contraction strength is to passively have your leg lifted to a stretched position and from there use the opposite muscles to lift it to a higher position and hold it there. Ballet bars are good for this. This is called active static stretching. Active because you are exerting and tightening muscles to do the stretch exercise. Static because you are going to hold the position for as long as possible without losing height or amplitude.

Place the back foot up on a high ballet bar behind you and proceed to lift your straight back leg up until your foot is well off the bar as high as you can get it. Hold it there. Practice the same with the front leg. If the bar is too low then use mats or a partner's shoulder.

To increase your contraction strength then you can add weights to your ankles. Always start from the highest stretched position you can reach passively. From there is where you lift from.

Another aspect of a great split leap is the power from your jump. Jumping ability can add great amplitude to the leap.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back