Coaches Spotting tap swings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wandrewsjr

Coach
Proud Parent
Coaches - do you spot every tap swing in practice? Or do you just spot at meets? If you do spot every one at practice, at what point in the gymnast's development do you stop spotting every tap swing?(assuming you ever stop)

I use extra mats now...used to spot all of them.

We have 4 strap rails...our aggressive tapping without a spot is now done in straps or on the pit rail with the compulsory kids and tiny optionals. It's worked well for us.

Still spot routine taps...especially the one after the underswing...at meets too.

I'm assuming you meant for safety. We do spot for shaping also...we stop this when they are shaping correctly.

I spot all tap swings over 'hard' surface (opposed to pit) even though I use safety mats or coaching blocks also when gymnasts are first learning.

I think there comes a point when I naturally feel that the gymnast is safe to swing, however I leave the mats in until the weeks leading up to comp, then I step back in to be ready to catch.

I've only needed my ninja skills once in competition though! I even got a round of applause!

Over here gymnasts only compete these swings at one grade though I think, the rest of the time they either go straight into a kip after catching or they are strapped on!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back