Squat on and pullover help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Brittneyyy

Gymnast
I just got back in the gym after three months of a broken ankle and recovering from an eating disorder. I've always struggled with bars especially pullovers due to not eating well and lack of upper body strength. Getting back in the gym has went pretty well, I'm not all that far behind.
One thing I'm struggling with is getting my squat on back and my pullover. We never really worked on the squat on when I was in the gym, so I'm having trouble with it. I had my pullover before, but I always struggled with it because, like stated before, not eating well and lack of upper body strength due to not eating well.
I have lost my pullover since I hadn't been in the gym. I'm really close, I pull my chin to the bar but I can only get my thighs to the bar, With a slight push from the coach I can get my hips over. I do jump to get up but I still can't get over.
With the squat on (on bars) I can get high enough but I either bang my shins and my toes are pointed or only get one foot stable on it and the other my ankle is on it and it's pointed.
It's strange because I have all the other skills but those. Any tips, please?

When your doing your squat on have your shoulders over the bars if they are behnd you have a better chance to go backwards and we dont want to do that! Another thing that i found that helped me was the big casts they are very helpfull.

For pullover imagine your feet going right over the top of the bar (over not up). For squat ons, practice on floor bar first.

In order to eleminate the "pointing toes problem" I let my girls do a high number of repetitions of squat ons onto the high beam. It associates the movement with flexed feet. Once they're able to squat on without a springboard they normally have the skill on bars too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back