Standing back tuck before RO-BHS-Back tuck?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is not the progression that my dd's gym (gym A) uses, but I do know a coach from another gym (gym B) who is very strict with this progression. Both gym A and gym B have members on usta national tumbling team and brought home top team awards from USTA Nationals.

I think it is common to practice standing back tucks with a spot, on a trampoline, off a mat, or into a pit before learning a RO-BHS-BT, just to get the idea of the tuck. You certainly don't need a standing tuck before doing the RO-BHS-BT. With proper RO-BHS technique, you'll have a lot power going in to the tuck. I'd rather my gymnasts have a solid RO-BHS-BT than learn ugly standing tucks.

My daughter's team, in L6 floor training rotations, would usually have one station set-up to work on standing back tucks (starting off panel mats and working down to floor), and one station working RO-BHS-BT (but they would only add the back tuck here AFTER they were doing a proper set out of the BHS). Because of that stipulation, many of the girls were landing standing tucks before they were allowed to throw it out of the tumbling pass.

Both should be practiced, but I have a very powerful RO-BHS-BT and no standing back tuck. Myself, I'm not a huge fan of making them have standing back tucks on floor without spot before even attempting RO-BHS-BT, but I think it definitely should be practiced- just not a requirement.

EDIT: You do have to have a powerful set out of your RO-BHS before attempting a RO-BHS-BT though.

My daughter worked on standing tucks during the same time she learned them in tumbling passes, but she's definitely more confident throwing one in a pass.

I work the standing bcak tuck at the same time as RO BHS back tuck. We do millions of jumps candle roll overs and spend at least a few months doing RO BHS rebound up to a big resi, then we do RO BHS jump to candle up on a big cheese mat on the resi and roll over to hands & knees. When they get to actually do a back tuck-either a standing or from a RO bhs they have excellent technique and are very confident. Works for me!

We learned them together. Standing tumbling is a whole different animal than tumbling passes. It's not really like you can learn one, and then learn the other by building off that.

I am with laineyb they are very different but our gym does teach both at the same time. Generally what ends up happening is that by the time the gymnasts are doing layouts and twisting they have a standing tuck or are very close to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back