Standing back tuck full?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello!

I was wondering if it is possible to do a standing back tuck full and landing straight up. I know that Shawn got deducted for bending over, but looking at other videos, it looks quite hard to actually landing it straight up. Besides seeing videos on the tramp, I have not seen a standing back tuck full done where the gymnast stands up straight on the floor or beam. Any comments on this?

Standing back tuck full

I've been wondering the same thing for many years! It seems that if a gymnast can do a standing Arabian landing standing up and not all bent over, adding another 1/2 twist to make it a full shouldn't mean changing technique and form. Maybe they are just dumping the skill and thinking too much about a fast twist rather than concentrating on a powerful jump with proper lift to give the skill more air time. I believe a balance beam that bounces, like the one my husband and I have invented and have a Patent pending on, will help gymnasts overcome fears and overuse injuries resulting from not only these high level skills, but any flipping, dismounts, and leap, jump combinations required for balance beam. I saw a YouTube video of a male gymnast performing a standing double back onto a mat in a pit! It was awesome! But seeing that on a rigid, stationary balance beam is another story. Maybe in the future we'll see that with our balance beam that provides bounce! ;)

It's pretty possible on floor (although most of the people I know who can do it well are male), but on beam, the movements are more constrained and you have to spot for the landing more.

There are already spring beams and tumble track makes a beam cover type of thing that is bouncier.

Standing Back Tuck Full

I know this is not a place for advertising so I will not say much except this. I realize what Spring Beams are out there and about the TumblTrak Air Beam. The Spring Beams were made mainly to absorb impact and they provide a tiny bit of impetus. Having been a gymnast most of my life, I've learned from experience that most overuse injuries on balance beam come not only from the landings, but also from the pounding and jumping to gain air time for elements involving height and rotation. A standing back tuck full may be easy on a trampoline, but taking it to a balance beam and performing it the same way is far from easy. It can be really scary. I hope to see less overuse injuries in the future because of our product.

I've seen very very few people who can land a standing full with their chest up. I think I've seen one or two male gymnasts/tumblers, and I don't recall ever seeing a female athlete land a standing full without bending over.

Standing back tuck full

Thanks GikiGirl for the support! It should be on the market soon. There are so many power elements that require a strong jump or punch on balance beam, like the standing back tuck full. Young, developing gymnast's joints are really taking a beating trying to gain extra air time to learn timing and spacial orientation. It's difficult to go from performing an element on tramp to taking it to a balance beam. I hope to see these overuse injuries reduced. We have to consider the health of gymnasts above their performance ability. Too many gymnasts are sidelined because of overuse injuries and it's heartbreaking after all the work and dedication they put into becoming the best they can be.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back