MAG start value question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, twice this season, we have seen this happen, so I am curious as to whether or not it is normal.

On vault, level 7, a yama****a has a value of 12.5. 2 times this season, from 2 differnet judges, we have seen the same kid score a 12.7 and a 12.8. Granted, he vaults well, but those scores seem impossible looking at the start value.

So, how do you explain this? Our boys are asking about it, but we have no answers other than the kiddo did a great vault. but these are older boys, and they get start values. So, in the book, at level 7, are the values the max value or should kiddos be able to score above that?

Here is what we have seen:

Any Handspring Sideward with ¼ Twist 12.0
Forward Handspring 12.0
Forward Handspring with 1/1 Twist 12.5
Yama****a 12.5
Yama****a with ½ Twist 13.0

Not sure. I think this is the max score with all of that, but I could be wrong

This is the kind of question that almost makes me want to study to be a judge. But I think that would put me squarely in the CGM category so I'm avoiding it (so far!).

judges bewilder me...my ds had a low score on vault yesterday and when the coach questioned the judge he was told that he didnt run fast enough...uhm...ok

Vault just baffles me. My son is only a level 4, and there are no vault bonuses (that I'm aware of (??)). But, one of his teammates scored something over 10 earlier this season (10.1, 10.2 maybe?). So, there must just be something that we don't know.

Vault just baffles me. My son is only a level 4, and there are no vault bonuses (that I'm aware of (??)). But, one of his teammates scored something over 10 earlier this season (10.1, 10.2 maybe?). So, there must just be something that we don't know.
there is a slight sticking bonus of .2 and a virtuosity bonus of .5 in level 5 for a total of 10.7...I assume its the same for level 4

virtuosity bonus is for extra on events. Each event specifies what it is for and how much a child can earn.

virtuosity bonus is for extra on events. Each event specifies what it is for and how much a child can earn.
But, but, what!?! So, basically it is not a technical "bonus", but more of a "there-was-something-artistic-there" thing? I can respect that.

Really. I'm just learning. And so sorry if I hijacked your thread. I guess I'm a Yama****a-head...(insert rimshot here)

No problem ;)

I think it can be for extra height, larger split on leaps, hitting handstands on pbars, tha tkind of thing. it is usually only .1 up to a max of .5.

Okay, so a "you-rocked-the-yama****a-out-of-that bonus. (Sorry, if not for the **** I would not abuse it. It's just too much fun. (I need a hobby))

And, sorry again for hijacking. Hope someone can answer your original question.

LOL. I need a good laugh tonight ;) That word is too fun not ot use it!

After watching the scores in the last three meets, I really wonder how well the judges know the code. Two of my son's scores seemed super high this weekend with only 1 of the bonuses for L6--not complaining :) but just strange. When you actually look at what they can give for different levels it is so confusing, is it even possible for a judge to know all the bonuses L4-up? Vault I would think would be easier, because there is a set start value, but given there is usually only 1 judge for everything else it is sorta crazy how they have the code.

I just checked the JO manual, and for all levels of vault the judge can award a possible .5 for virtuosity. For all except L4 there is a stick bonus of .2. (I guess it doesn't count as sticking the landing when you land on your back ;)) It gives the max value of the yama****a as 13.2.

OK. I saw taht too, but for all of the other levels, it is worked into a final "value" they can earn. Maybe they just left that out of the level 7 vaults?

The .7 can be added to the 12.5. Here I've cut and pasted the table, though the formating came out all wonky. The final column on the right (showing up at the bottom here) shows the max value of 13.2.

Level 7 Vault Modified Table & Scoring Breakdown

Vault Value

Any Handspring Sideward with ¼ Twist 12.0

Forward Handspring 12.0

Forward Handspring with 1/1 Twist 12.5

Yama****a 12.5

Yama****a with ½ Twist 13.0

Virtousity

Stick Bonus

Max. Score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads