States qualifying? Zones?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

After reading a post about "zones" and only having one chance to qualify for states it brought up a few questions.

First of all what is "Zones"?
I am curious as to how different states and countries run their qualifying. I was somewhat shocked to hear they only have 1 chance to qualify.

Where I live the girls have to reach a certain score depending on level at a sanctioned state qualifying meet.

A gymnast begins competing on a local level. A local competition is one that has no qualifying score to enter. It is open to any USAG gymnast.
From the local competition she can qualify to a sectional competition (State Championship Qualification Meet) by scoring the required All Around Score listed below
for the respective competitive levels the gymnast is competing on.
Sectional Competition. Is a State Qualification Meet that is open only to USAG gymnasts who
have scored the required All Around Score at a sanctioned local competition. Sectional Competitions are run in conjunction with the USAG State Committee Chair.
Qualification Scores From Local to Sectional to States to Regional L10 31.00 32.00
L 9 31.00 32.00 34.00 L8 30.00 32.00 by ranking L 7 31.50 33.50 none L 6 30.00 32.00 none LateL6 31.50 33.50 none L5 Early 30.00 32.00 none L5 Late 31.50 33.50 none Team Cup Level 4 28.00AA efficiency score at a sectional to enter Team Cup The Level 6 (Late Season) & 7 State Championship Qualifying Score for 2011 is 33.25

In my state, i dont know if it is the same for the whole region. But you have all sanctioned meets to qualify for sectionals. Then at sectionals you have to score some thing around a 32.00 i think (it faries between levels) if you reach that score you qualify for states. That is what the compulsaries use.

In optinals you have all meets to qualify for states. In level 7 the highest you can go is states level 8,9,and 10 can qualify for regionals (at states) and i think they have to get a 34.00. Then at regionals the level 9 and 10 can qualify for westerns, and the have to be in the top number in their age group.(not sure what the number or precent is) Im not positive if level 10s do westerns. And then Im not sure how you qualify for level 10 nationals.

Thats how things happen where I live. Not positive all of the info is accurate, but to my knowlegde that is how things happen.

In Quebec each gymmie gets to go to three qualifiers, this is much the same in the other provinces. THe top scoring girls at each level get to go to a zones equivalent (coupe quebec) and from there fewer girls get to go to States equivalent (Championnat du Quebec). It can be tough when a gymmie has had three great qualifiers and then at the zone equiv she has a terrible day and doesn't make it to Sates equiv.

For example in my DD's level there are 300 girls in the Province, they will all compete at three meets each over the next four months. There are four regions in Quebec and each region holds there own three meets and clubs can only compete in their own regions. The top 48 girls in her level will move forward to the Coupe Quebec in April and after that meet the top 32 will move forward to the Championat, it is a little more convulated in actuality, but basically that is the idea.

It is very special to make the Coupe Quebec or Championat, getting gymnasts to these events gets clubs labelled for the coming years and that of course attracts customers.

Our qualifying process is the same as Sportyfamily5. In our region (8) Level 7 can also qualify for regionals. This process varies from state to state (in the region) SC takes the top 8 scorers in all age divisions to represent the state team and then the next 8 top scorers to compete in All-Stars, for a total of 16 girls for L7 regionals. The process is different for L8-10

In our state, there are no zones or sectionals. You just have to qualify at one meet, with the right score. For L4 it is 28AA, 29AA for level 5 and 30AA for L6. Optionals it is 31AA.

I have a feeling that the states with zones/sectionals maybe have more gymnasts? Even with our easy requirements for compulsory qualifying, we only have about 300-400 gymnasts each year at the L4 States, 200-300 L5s and 150-250 L6s. In California, even with Zones, they had over 500 at NORTH States, that is a lot! Though I do think they should get more than one chance, because it sucks to be ON all season, then have one off meet and not get to go to States.

Last edited:
In Pennsylvania, states and higher meets begin at L4. This is from the PA Gymnastics website

Level 4 States - 32 AA at any sanctioned meet at least 3 weeks prior to states

Level 5 Sectionals - 31 AA at any sanctioned meet
Level 5 States - 33 AA at Sectionals

Level 6 States - 32 AA at any sanctioned meet at least 3 weeks prior to states (they used to have sectionals too but don't this year)

Prep Optional Novice/Intermediate Sectionals- 31 AA
Prep Optional Novice/Intermediate States - 33 AA at Sectionals

Level 7/Prep Optional Advanced States - 33 AA

Level 8/9/10 States - 32 AA at any sanctioned meet at least 3 weeks prior to states

Oh my that is huge numbers. Ijust can't imagine that stripper music 200 times! SO you have a States for each level? We have one weekend for all levels WAG/MAG, T&T and rythmic.

Yes, but look at Cali and that is AFTER having to score a 34 at Zones. Our girls just have to do it at one meet and can qualify all the way up to the last invitational, which is usually a week before L4 States and 2 weeks before L5/6 States. Looks like the number of gymnasts in the state lends to how they have to qualify for States.

Yes there is a meet for each level. Level 4 is on one day, divided into 4 sessions, so you only have to hear the music about 80 times, and with the new music, maybe only 40 times for each. LOL. L5/6 is together, usually a week after L4 States and there are usually 3 sessions of 5s and 2 sessions of 6s. They break the age groups down pretty evenly, usually around 24 girls for L4 and 20 girls for L5/6. And awards go out 50%.

Optionals is all held on the same weekend, Levels 7-10. Last year they had a little under 300 gymnasts total for optional states.

Interesting. Virginia is much like Pennsylvania. Only Levels 4 and 5 need to qualify for a sectional and then to states from a sectional. There are four sectionals so there are lots of chances to qualify. I think they must use this system due to the large number of gymnasts at these levels, because once you get to Level 6, there are no more sectionals. In Virginia, there is a separate state meet for Level 4 and one for Level 5. Levels 6 and 7 are together, and Levels 8,9, and 10 are all together as well.

Try hearing that music 600 times!!!

Our approximate numbers at state meets here in Northern California, each has their own weekend, compulsories in fall, optionals in spring:

Level 4 - 500 to 600 (double sessions all weekend, about 200 to 300 level 4's don't qualify)

Level 5 - 350 to 400 (around 200 level 5's don't qualify)

Level 6 - 300 (almost all 6's qualify, we recently lowered the Q score for this level so the meet would be full)

Level 7 - 300 (level 7/8/9/10 just need 32 at any meet that season, so almost all qualify)

Level 8/9/10 - 350

It is crazy to me that the lower level state meets are the hardest to qualify for, but our numbers are so huge, it's the only way to fit a state meet into one weekend.

In Quebec each gymmie gets to go to three qualifiers, this is much the same in the other provinces. THe top scoring girls at each level get to go to a zones equivalent (coupe quebec) and from there fewer girls get to go to States equivalent (Championnat du Quebec). It can be tough when a gymmie has had three great qualifiers and then at the zone equiv she has a terrible day and doesn't make it to Sates equiv.

For example in my DD's level there are 300 girls in the Province, they will all compete at three meets each over the next four months. There are four regions in Quebec and each region holds there own three meets and clubs can only compete in their own regions. The top 48 girls in her level will move forward to the Coupe Quebec in April and after that meet the top 32 will move forward to the Championat, it is a little more convulated in actuality, but basically that is the idea.

It is very special to make the Coupe Quebec or Championat, getting gymnasts to these events gets clubs labelled for the coming years and that of course attracts customers.

Wow, that sounds more competitive than anything my daughters have had to do to qualify. In fact I remember complaining that 5 state qualifiers wasn't enough or fair.

Good luck to your gymnast. I hope she does well but most of all has fun.

In MN

Compulsories have qualifiers for Level 5 and 6 need to score a AA 32 in one of 3 qualifier meets to go to states no regions. State is December season starts in Septmeber. There are invites up untill March for these levels if you want.

Level 4 State is an invite meet only we just started flashing scores at this level.

Optionals Level 7's need a AA 35 at any meet in the season at least 2 weeks beofre state in March. However last year this sore was dropped because enoough kids did not qualify No Regionals

Level 8 need a 33.5 for State and a AA 34 for Regionls at State meet. However last year regionals dropped score not enough girls went. Top 9 Level 8's in each state do somthing called the Super 8 team. All other Level 8's compete against the rest of the region based on age groups.

Level 8 and 10 need AA 32 for State and Regions is a percentage of girls based on age groups and scores

In Oregon we compete in several sanctioned meets during the season our gymnasts who score 31AA or higher qualify for sectionals. This year at sectionals they are only taking the top 72 kids from all of Southern Oregon Sectionals to go to state.

Oh my that is huge numbers. Ijust can't imagine that stripper music 200 times! SO you have a States for each level? We have one weekend for all levels WAG/MAG, T&T and rythmic.

Bog, I almost choked on my coffee when I read that! Soooo funny! lol
So I guess I'm not the only one who refers to it as stripper music:D

We're in Mariposa's region, too, and I think one reason the numbers are a bit lower is because most gyms don't heed the 28AA rule for level 4. Our gym requires a 34aa, and I know of a bunch of others that require at least a 31 or 32aa before they will take their girls... It's still a zoo, imho

AZ- Yes, you are right. Our gym doesn't usually let the girls compete if they aren't capable (not necessarily that they will get it, but usually) of getting 8s on all events and if a kid that was getting 28AAs, they probably wouldn't go to States, but that is just from what I have seen. Honestly, you won't medal if you aren't at least at 33-34AA in most age groups. They don't do AA medals, just 50% on events and AA.

As gymnut mentioned, we only get one chance here. In my region we have 'counties' as we had too many gymnasts doing regional grades. Top 6 from each grade represent the county at regional finals. And no age groups - in age (8 in year at 14 and 9 in year at 13) and out of age for the two easiest grades, and then everyone together.
In all regions National and pre-elite grades and the pre-elite voluntaries are direct entry to regionals, and then top 6 represent the region at national finals (again no age groups!).
However at the pre-elite grades and voluntaries you may go to nationals as an individual if you don't make team provided you achieve the required score. Some gyms do send them, some don't, some vary depending so if they had one gymnast make team and one not then both would go, but if both didn't make team then neither would go.
At pre-elite level 2 there are only between 20-30 gymasts each year, so they have no qualifiers and go direct to nationals.

National grades' (8, 7, 6, 5) national finals are on one weekend and pre-elite national finals (4, 3, 2) are on a seperate weekend.

In MN

Compulsories have qualifiers for Level 5 and 6 need to score a AA 32 in one of 3 qualifier meets to go to states no regions. State is December season starts in Septmeber. There are invites up untill March for these levels if you want.

Optionals Level 7's need a AA 35 at any meet in the season at least 2 weeks beofre state in March. However last year this sore was dropped because enoough kids did not qualify No Regionals

So 5 & 6 are done in December? Do they then switch levels, uptrain or just do the invitationals? With such a short season I am curious as to what they strive for after Dec.

With a AA 35 at L7, I'm not too sure how many we (my DD's team) could even qualify to states.

Interesting to hear how it is done differently all over.

Here, we go to zones, and its either northern or southern zones depending on where you live in the province, then the top 12 from each competition go to provincials.
There is no qualifying score, it is by placement, (so there is a maximum of 24 at provincials in each group that is determined by age and level)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back