Strength Training for 8 Year Old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

Tammy

Hello - I am new to the Chalk Bucket. My daughter started gymnastics a year ago and went from beginner, advanced, pre-team, to team all within one year. She is 8 years old. She trains 10 hours a week and LOVES it!

Even training 10 hours a week my daughter is never sore. I feel her club does the appropiate amount of strength for level 4 girls and most of the girls do get sore and tired. Strength training consists of 1/3 of every training session.

Do not get me wrong, I'm not stating that I want my daughter to overdo it at her age but I do wondering if she should at least feel some of her workout. It just does not seem to phase her at all. She comes home from her workouts and does more pushup's (she can do 30+ in one setting).

Here's where I am going with this. I'm just wondering if my child needs more of a challenge or if as a parent I should just sit back and see what happens.

Any advice is appriciated.

I'd say 'sit back and see what happens' would be the best advice. She is an 8 year old L4 - there's a long long road ahead and there is no need to be concerned now.
Remember that this is a marathon -
Good luck to your dd.

Hi and welcome!

As a coach, mom and physical therapist, I'd say sit back and enjoy the ride!! As long as she is happy and progressing, it sounds like things are going well:)

Hi and welcome! I agree with the others, sit back, relax and just see what happens. My dd started gymnastics at the age of 9 (Level 4) and trained about 10-11 hrs a week as well. She was fine. I did let her do some other activities such as dance (ballet) and track and field (very low key) just so that she could experience other activities. I would suggest doing that then having her do more conditioning at home. Find fun things for her to do outside the gym such as rock wall climbing, swimming at an indoor pool, or roller skating (just don't have her do anything crazy-LOL). These activities are fun and also a workout that uses other muscles.

And most importantly, gymnastics is an INDIVIDUAL sport. What works for one child may not work for another. Try not to get wrapped up in "how many hrs your dd is working out" and "how fast she progresses". You will find many young gymnasts on here that are only 5 and 6 years old that train much more hours than 10, but that doesn't mean that that is "the standard" or what your dd should be doing. My DD only trains 7 hrs a week and she is a Level 5 (Level A in the MDL) and is very competitive in her age group. She has already started uptraining and is working on things like cast kips and free hip circles to name a few. More is NOT necessarily better.

So hang in there, and enjoy the ride for now. Good luck!!!

The purpose of conditioning is to have adequate strength and flexibility to perform the skills. If she is not struggling and coach is happy with her progress whats the problem?

If she seems to need more of an outlet for her energy you could get her to bike ride or go to the park to play with some friends. I also find swimming a great way to burn off some steam.

I agree with leaving the gym in the gym, if the coaches are happy and she is doing well then you are a lucky Mom.

Tammy, welcome to CB.

As a word of caution, for your and your gymnast's sake, be careful where you're going with your post. Unless she is one the few top talents (along with lots of luck), the thus far progression, her strength/ability and her current interest in the sport are no indication of where she will be in the future. There is a long road ahead. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I wouldn't be at all concerned that they aren't pushing her as much as they could with the conditioning - it sounds like they are leading her quite quickly as it is, and doubtless they'll continue to do so as far as they think profitable.

At that age I cold sprint home from school and not be tired. School was exactly 1 mile from my house (but it wasn't up hill both ways nor did it ever snow). Some kids have a really fast recovery rate. I really can't recall getting sore after a work out until I was in high school and even then it took a lot.
Let her decide to do the extra's like you mentioned with the push ups. Find other fun things to do while you can. If conditioning that makes everyone else sore doesn't phase her, she'll most likely bet moving to more hours in the gym soon enough, assuming she's doing everything correctly. :). Good luck

Some kids have very good recovery. It's a function of rest, hydrate, eat, and genetics.

It could simply be that the conditioning that they are doing doesn't tax her. Eventually it will, and it should.

When you start to notice your gymnast not being able to recover from workout to workout or lag during workouts is when you should become concerned.

Still, I would be somewhat intrigued if the conditioning was enough but that is more of a coaching issue really.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back