suggestions for a practice bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering if any of you have a practice bar at your house. My DD is really wanting one for practice. She is 5yo ,weighs about 39# and is currently Level 2 but about to work on Level 3 skills. I have been looking at a couple. So any suggestions with pros and cons would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Yes my dd has a practice bar. She got it for Christmas as it was the only thing on her list. She's 6 and L3. She has the one below:

Gymnastics Mini Bar & Mini Bar Mat

If I had to do it again I would not have bought it. It has created a lot of drama in our house. I don't want to be the coach or coach her at home but I can tell she is practicing things incorrectly and I don't want her to learn bad habits. I already had to tell her no mill circles at home because she was re-gripping her hands over the top of the bar (changing her grip) and even I know she's not supposed to do that! She was also getting very frustrated when she wasn't making the mill circle at home after doing them in the gym....NOT FUN to see her get upset over it. She also won't do her back hip circle on it as for some reason she is afraid her legs will hit the ceiling in the basement. Crazy girl.

If I could get my money back and not have my dd hate me for life I would sell it in an instant! I wish I had listened to the CB parents who said no bar at home!!!

On the plus side she does follow the rules we have in place without complaints and knows not to let her friends on it (or even ask) when they come over.

I think you'll find most coaches do not recommend any type of bar at home and many parents don't either. Primary reasons are developing bad habits in doing a skill then it takes the coach longer to correct what was done incorrectly at home and chance of injury. These bars are not really intended for much above what is done in rec classes for kindergarten kids---they are really not supposed to be used for any casting or circling elements.

There are many threads on here discussing bars at home--pro/con.

I really would just skip the bar at home. My DH actually was the one that wanted DD to have one, I was against it BUT he was going to MAKE one, so I figured it would be safer to buy a real one. Sure, she had some fun and it probably did help her a little, but not worth the risk of injury or getting bad habits. If my little DD wants to do gym, she will have to make it along without the bar because it is going to be sold someday. Currently collects dust in our garage.

My daughter has this one Jr. Kip Bar - tumbling casting kipping mat - Tumbl Trak - Gymnastics, Cheerleading and Dance Equipment with the extensions and we have the sheet of plywood down for extra support. She weighs ~50 pounds and it is very sturdy. She uses it for all of the level 3 skills.

Our coach knows she has it and never said anything negative about it. We got it when she was right on the cusp of getting her pullover and back hip circle and I don't think she would have gotten those skills when she did without the bar. That said, she doesn't use it a ton at the moment, but who knows what the future will hold.

My daughter has one. I bought it without consulting her coach but did talk to her coach to set limits on what she could and could not do at home. I don't regret it. Bella has improved her leg cuts and her casts. Her coach brags on her all the time. She was asked not to do mill circles because she doesn't have them perfectly yet and we honor that request.

Mostly she just plays on it. Jumps and swings and hangs upside down. I love having it especially during the cold winter months for her to burn off energy. We also use it as a "tent" frame for sleep overs and movie night. so NO regrets whatsoever.

ETA: She uses it constantly. She probably spent a good hour tonight after she got home from visiting her dad playing on the bar. She was doing some strength training on her own and then started jumping from her folded panel mat and swinging through to fall on her thick mat. Over and over and over and over....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of your suggestions and answers. I have talked to her coach and she is fine with them having equipment at home. She said she spends more time correcting bad habits from trampolines than any other equipment. I still not totally convinced we are going to get one for home. She does very well at getting skills at the gym, she already has a beautiful chin up pullover and back hip circle. I liked a comment in another thread that home needs to be their sanctuary away from the gym and that they grow out of them quickly. I will probably wait and see how it goes with getting her front mill circle at the gym. She is about to start working on it and won't need to have it until next Oct when new season starts. Thanks again for your help!!

If you aren't convinced and think she is driven by getting a skill or two, then for the cost of the bar you could easily pay for several privates. That might be something to think about. Once she is in the gym more hours she probably won't use it much. If you just want her to get her mill circle, a private or two is probably the better thing to spend the money on. She might even get to work on more skills then.

I know of a couple programs that have started doing just bars classes as a supplement to early level classes, by most accounts they seem to be a hit, for any owners or program directors, something to think about.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back