Taking Over a Group With Some Issues...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I recently took over a group of mixed level girls (older, like 11 & up and ranging from just completed L4 to L7 to all stars)...and I am trying to help "fix" some of the issues they are having.

One main issue is: I have several kids who can NOT kip cast. They are just having a hard time finishing their kips with their legs in front of them to initiate the cast. They mostly finish with legs already under them or even slightly behind them. We have spotted kips and kip casts, done stem rise drills, and various bar conditioning. I am not sure if it's a strength thing, a timing thing, or what, but if any other coaches have any tips or drills, it would be greatly appreciated!!

yes. place a block in front of the low bar and have them do jump>support with straight arms/elbows>cast up and back down to the block. do them in sets of 3. this will correct the timing you're speaking of. you'll also be conditioning them at the same time.:)

Strength, strength, strength, strength, strength and more strength followed by more strength followed by basics and more basics followed by basics and more basics

yes. place a block in front of the low bar and have them do jump>support with straight arms/elbows>cast up and back down to the block. do them in sets of 3. this will correct the timing you're speaking of. you'll also be conditioning them at the same time.:)

Thanks, dunno. I will certainly try this out. Now, will this just help with the cast part, or will this also help them with learning to kip into the proper position to achieve the cast? They can cast out of their kips - when they finish the kip correctly. Some of them unfortunately are just having a hard time finishing with their feet in front and their shoulders leaning forward to be able to immediately hit that cast.

it will correct the timing/part that you are asking about.:)

I've faced the same problem in the past. They developed bad habits when they were learning their kips. Do what dunno said and keep working stem rises, finishing with feet in front. I can't tell you how many times I had to go back to basics when I inherited someone else's gymnasts...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back