Coaches Teaching Backhandsprings with Minimal Equipment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Recently I've started working with the cheerleading team at the high school I coach at, sort of in an assistant/tumbling coaching position. About a quarter of the girls are (ex) gymnasts/all-star cheerleaders - they can already tumble. Another the next 1/4 can have a RO-BHS or standing BHS - they're pretty confident with it, and are physically capable of doing it, it's just sloppy. The bottom quarter are working on cartwheels and RO still. I have no problem working with and coaching 3/4 of the group - everything I feel I need to do is well withing my coaching and spotting abilities.

That last quarter is where I'm stumped. They're ready to start working on backhandsprings. They have good roundoffs, backbends, backwalkovers, and can do the wall-sit arm-swing drill (I don't know how else to describe it, but I saw it on here for teaching the "sit back" into the BHS. I have used it previously with success for correcting form). The problem is that I have no idea how to introduce the skill to them - all I have is lots of flat mats (panels, 4", 8" and some 12" "resis") and a trapezoid. No barrel, no tramp. I have a couple soft, small cheese mats (maybe 4 feet?) And with me being 114lb....I simply can't hold them up and flip them around as they do the skill.

It's a poorer, rural community with the nearest gyms being an hour away at least, so that's not really an option.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. I have nothing.

you need a couple of flip flop barrels. they are the most useful for the introduction of flip flops.:)

4", 8" and some 12" "resis" - are these soft crash mats? If so then this is what I do and I'm roughly the same size as you.

Jump to flat back to land in hollow (emphasis on sitting back and body shape)
Jump to flat back to land in tight arch (as above)
Jump to flat back in tight dish on to raised surface (as above but with some lift through the hips)
Back limber, pull over both legs together and donkey kick with straight legs to feet.

Once they can do these safely and consistently they will do enough for you to spot them safely over a soft mat. Start them standing on a solid raised surface to be level with the mat so they can push through their feet properly.

Then when they are consistent you can add flat mats over the crash mat for a slightly more stable surface which is kinder on their wrists.

Good luck.

Stack the mats and have the girls sit and jump back to get used to the jump or the first half of the skill. Also, have them do handstand snap downs off the trapezoid to learn the second half of the skill.

Once they have the gist of the jump back, spot them on the first half of the back handspring on an 8" mat, stopping them int he handstand, then let them drop to hollow push up. I know they're cheerleaders and they won't care about proper form, but this will help them in the long run.

After they're able to jump back to handstand with a spot, help them through the skill. Then I would start allowing them to do it alone on a soft mat as long as I'm close enough to rescue them.

I actually have tons of drills. These are what I can think of with minimal equipment.

you need a couple of flip flop barrels. they are the most useful for the introduction of flip flops.:)
I would love some, and would prefer using them. But the school simply does not have the funds for that. Students already have to pay $100 per season to play a sport, and they barely pay me enough to cover gas. Meanwhile, we compete against schools an hour and a half away in the 9th wealthiest county in the nation.

rd7 and niklum - thank you so much! These sound great and I can't wait to try them!

While I'm sure a couple of the girls would be willing to just throw their bodies over, and the cheer coach would be fine with it........ I'll just stop the rant about cheerleaders and form right now before I even start :D

I do exactly what rd7 said!

I'd also do some down a wedge if it helps with the 'lean' but only if the wedges are sturdy enough!

At some point they will need to be spotted, it is unsafe to allow a kid to just try a back handspring even if it seems like they have all the parts to put it together. Because they are bigger you will need to consider some methods to help make spotting safe. You could do a double spot, you could use a spotting belt or even make a spotting belt using karate belts or even towels, many cheer teams teach the kids to spot each other. From a gymnastics point of view that is generally frowned upon but if you are not big enough to safely spot them then teaching bigger girls to double spot is probably safer anyway.

4", 8" and some 12" "resis" - are these soft crash mats? If so then this is what I do and I'm roughly the same size as you.

Jump to flat back to land in hollow (emphasis on sitting back and body shape)
Jump to flat back to land in tight arch (as above)
Jump to flat back in tight dish on to raised surface (as above but with some lift through the hips)
Back limber, pull over both legs together and donkey kick with straight legs to feet.

Once they can do these safely and consistently they will do enough for you to spot them safely over a soft mat. Start them standing on a solid raised surface to be level with the mat so they can push through their feet properly.

Then when they are consistent you can add flat mats over the crash mat for a slightly more stable surface which is kinder on their wrists.

Good luck.

These are great! I needed some more ideas for my little ones to work on while the tendonitis in my shoulder settles down.

I know your situation all too well as I am in one that is much the same, it's a frustrating place. There have been some great suggestions so far, I think teaching the jump, in conjunction with the basic body positions of the bhs, are the most important steps. The kids I've worked with that were the hardest to spot (by far!) were ones who did not jump at all or barely and/or had no idea what positions their body needed to be in and what that felt like. So by working on jump flat backs (with proper body positions) onto stacked mats can be hugely beneficial. It's nearly impossible (and very draining) to spot girls through a bhs if they don't jump or are unaware of what their body is doing, and a good way to get yourself injured.
Beyond that continue working drills for the sit back and lots handstands (which a surprising amount of cheerleaders cannot do adequately enough to even think about solid bhs). It's not ideal, but is doable. And they're lucky to have a coach who doesn't encourage them to "just chuck it" or chooses to throw them around with awful form (though that's a totally OT rant that I won't go into here).
Is there a gym/cheer gym that might let you borrow a barrel for an evening? It's not essential, but it could be really helpful and make the process a tiny bit easier on you. I know you said there isn't a gym club locally, but maybe one of the girls (or you) has a connection that could be helpful. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back