Teen Beginner?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone! This is my first post here... hopefully I'm allowed since I'm not really a gymnast yet :) I'm 17 now and am interested in beginning gymnastics. I am fully aware that I will not be able to make it to the Olympics or anything like it, but just want to try something new. I was just wondering if I started now, do some gyms have a teen beginner program or would I be placed with the people who are on my level, regardless of their age? I have been a dancer for the past 10 years, but have no tumbling experience whatsoever. Thanks in advance for your help!

alot of gyms have older beginner classes however once you are 18 you are an adult and alot of gyms don't do adult classes. I think its great that you want to start and do classes - I would look for a gym that would allow you to come once you are 18 and older. Also at 17 I don't think doing a Team is possible but maybe Prep Op might be an option. Otherwise take the rec class and enjoy - good luck

Hopefully you can find a gym with a teen and/or adult class. The dance experience should be very useful. I'm not sure about competing, it depends on what area you're in and what they have. Go for it, and I hope you have lots of fun!

Before worrying about any kind of team program, just find a gym that offers some type of basic tumbling class if you can't find an intro gymnastics class for teeens or adults in your area. Check out any tumbling programs, classes run by the Y or city recreation and cheer gyms. Hopefully, you'll find something to get you started.

Thanks for your responses... I knew it really wouldn't be realistic to be put in a team and was definitely planning on just taking rec classes. I hadn't thought about looking for cheer gyms or anything, that's a god idea just to get some basic tumbling or other experience. Once I find a gym, do you know what would be appropriate to wear for my first couple of classes? I have leos from dance but I know gymnastics ones are different... I just wouldn't want to buy new gear until I knew if I really wanted to stick with it.

Thanks for your responses... I knew it really wouldn't be realistic to be put in a team and was definitely planning on just taking rec classes. I hadn't thought about looking for cheer gyms or anything, that's a god idea just to get some basic tumbling or other experience. Once I find a gym, do you know what would be appropriate to wear for my first couple of classes? I have leos from dance but I know gymnastics ones are different... I just wouldn't want to buy new gear until I knew if I really wanted to stick with it.

Shorts and a t shirt would be fine to wear.

a dance leo without a skirt will work usually with shorts but it will depend onthe gym you go to what they say they need. and there is no difference between a dance leo and a gym leo if it doesn't have a skirt. A wal-mart one will work just fine for what you want to do.

Go for it! Sounds like you have realistic goals and want to try something fun. Hope you find a gym in your area that will work for you.

I wear fitting three-quarter sports pants and a fitting sports singlet or top. You don't want loose-fitting stuff as it will flap around, get in the way, get caught up on bars and so on. If you still have a dance bod, a dance leo with lycra hot pants would look good (not on me, though).

It's hard to find gyms that will take gymnasts over 18, but they are out there. The gym I coach at does do beginner classes for teens, as well as beginning tumbling classes so we do have older girls in my gym just starting out.

I have a similar background as you, though I started earlier. I did dance for almost ten years before I started gymnastics at thirteen. From there I managed to work my tail off to get to team, and am still competing (and I am well into my 20's now!). There are adult programs popping up here and there. AAU has a ladies' division, which is a blast, and I've seen other adult meets here and there.

Another great option is a college club team, which I did at the University at Buffalo. In NAIGC you see all sorts of levels competing, from beginner all the way up to level 10. So that is an option depending on where you end up going to school.

So there are opportunities for you as a gymnast. I wish you good luck!

I am personally 17 years old, I have done gymnastics since age 9 but very off and on and we could never afford the team.
So I only have level 5 skills minus the kip. And am 17 years old.
Sometimes there are younger girls with me but I don't let that stop me from having fun!! I love gymnastics and have a passion and work my butt off every practice!

As for what to wear, a t-shirt and shorts is fine. But I would wear a tank-top under your t-shirt just incase your shirt comes up.
If you go to the first class and find others are wearing leotards, just wear one of your dance leos with shorts over top.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back