WAG tell me about your injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

twistingmia

I would love to hear about your or your DDs injuries.

I am "only" a
Level 7, and luckily haven't got any bad injuries yet like fractures or joint issues.

But something is always hurting. There are weeks when the muscles around my knee hurt a little, I have shin splints sometimes, at the moment my right elbow is hurting when I lean on it so I guess maybe bursitis... I train 15 hours a week and these minor stuff seems to be quite normal, at least in my gym. At first, I was scared about every small pain, but now I just try to ignore it and it usually goes away after some weeks...

What about you?

I've got injuries al the time they are never really bad but they mostly stay for several months, i'm having trouble with my lower back right now, i haven't been able to train properly for about 7 months and doctors don't know what it is

I've got injuries al the time they are never really bad but they mostly stay for several months, i'm having trouble with my lower back right now, i haven't been able to train properly for about 7 months and doctors don't know what it is

oh good poor you! which level are you in?

Same here. I have never had something serious -luckily- but something is always in little pain, whether it's a pulled muscle, inflamed tendons or just my hip that doens't like too many round-offs!

Head to toes? Concussion, broken nose (from someone accidentlly smashing it into a beam.) Broken tooth, sprained neck severe twice. Messed up shoulder from spotting kids, sprained chest (yes you really can do that there is an inflexible joint in there) pulled back muscles a few times, right knee issues chronic, shin splints, sprained each ankle twice and a broken right big toe and a partridge in a pear tree.

My daughter broke her arm in her first year before she was even on team. She has a minor hearing issue and wasn't paying attention. The coach switched what the girls were doing, my daughter did what they had been doing. It was a missed spot.

This summer, she was showing off her "skilz" at the play ground while we were on a camping trip. She took a nasty fall and got a sprained shoulder and concussion.

I tore ligaments in my right ankle then so 6th grade I broke my growth plate in my left ankle doing a FHs, fast forward to 8th grade end of the year I got a grade3 sprain on my left ankle. And at the time I was doing physical therapy for my other ankle due to what we thought was achilles tendonitis. Then later that year in 9th grade I got anther grade 3 sprain in the same one. Went to the doctor and ha to have an MRI because of pain in my right achilles. They did nothing about the ankle I sprain but I got a steroid shot in the right ankle and was in a boot For 3 weeks. Fast forward to last season. Hurt my should a week before our first meet, it was just a sprain luckily. Then on the 3 meet I sprain my right ankle learning a new pass on floor I needed, then torward the end of the season I got a concussion falling in between and mat and the floor. In between all of that I've had bruises broken toes and all that jazz

Hey Twist, all high level athletes I have ever spoken to and known have been injured. Injuries cover a huge spectrum of definition and severity. Champions recovery, adapt and move forward. I am confident that we all agree on the above statement.

Gymnasts share the aches and toil that accompany the sport. It is a bond.

Now that I am older, short and balding, I have learned not to speak of former injuries. The old injuries are not only not unique, but they bring back recognition of the injury, reins me of the everyday ache, bring attention to the natural adaption to the injury we humans typically do or avoid speaking to other former athletes as they stare blankly at me when I share. Former athletes provide the blank stare as we have empathy, but no sympathy. I am guilt of providing the blank look when former athletes share their injury or aches with me. I suspect that we all have the aches on the days when the weather changes. When physicians ask me about injuries, I only provide them what is relevant to my visit. No need to cover the long spreadsheet. I have physicians signed info sheet for air travel. Metal insets (pins and the like) are no-no's for screeners. The TSA agents rarely comment, but read the list carefully. Who knows what they think. I do not ask, they do not share.

Now sharing current injuries - yes. During recovery, and during my more intense athletic years, I share the current injury. Mostly I am looking for feedback on recovery, acknowledging I need to adapt to the current situation (usually coaching/spotting) and looking for a place to put my crutches ;) .

Just a short balding guy's opinion this morning. The warm, humid weather change my area of the world is experiencing has made me have to adapt to some previous joint injuries.....I see your blank stare over the internet and am zipping it up for the balance of the morning. .... :rolleyes:

Let the other comments flow..

Best, SBG -

Over the years I have had some pretty strange injuries, with different levels of severity. I have dislocated my toe ( the one next to my big toe), broke my little toe ( got it caught in a gap between mats ) at ages 10 and 12. broken both the bones in my forearm requiring 2 surgeries to fix it when I was 11. Fractured the little bone that allows movement of the wrist when I was 8 ( I slipped in the bathroom at home and landed with all my weight on it ) and more recently have had ongoing back problems for 2-3 years and tore 3 ligaments in my ankle nearly a year ago which still hasn't fully healed, but have been given the all clear to train as long as I have it strapped with KT tape.
Yep I'm good for injuries. And this is without beam burn, shin splints, random cuts and bruises and numerous bumps to the head.

I recently learned that I have arthritic symptoms in my right ankle, and this is causing my tibial head (lower end of shin bone) to wear into my talus (first ankle bone that connects to the tibia bone of the shin). Basically this is a problem that will never heal on it's own, and as a result I cannot deeply dorsiflex my ankle (raise my foot towards my shin). This is from all my years of training parkour and tricking, and as a result I have to really watch my landing technique now. Landing flat footed is bad anyway, but now all I need is one small mistake during a landing before I'm in a decent amount of pain for about a week and a half. It's bad because I'll always be in danger of discomfort and making it worse, but it's good because I'm forced to really perfect my landing technique for skills. I try to look for the silver lining. That, and I don't want anything keeping me from what I love.

In addition to the overuse injury above I've had:
  • Hyperextended knee
  • Sprained both ankles
  • Sprained the same wrist twice
  • Landed on my neck and was super sore for a week, now it cracks a tiny bit every time I turn my head left.
They're like trophies!!!

I recently learned that I have arthritic symptoms in my right ankle, and this is causing my tibial head (lower end of shin bone) to wear into my talus (first ankle bone that connects to the tibia bone of the shin). Basically this is a problem that will never heal on it's own, and as a result I cannot deeply dorsiflex my ankle (raise my foot towards my shin). This is from all my years of training parkour and tricking, and as a result I have to really watch my landing technique now. Landing flat footed is bad anyway, but now all I need is one small mistake during a landing before I'm in a decent amount of pain for about a week and a half. It's bad because I'll always be in danger of discomfort and making it worse, but it's good because I'm forced to really perfect my landing technique for skills. I try to look for the silver lining. That, and I don't want anything keeping me from what I love.

In addition to the overuse injury above I've had:
  • Hyperextended knee
  • Sprained both ankles
  • Sprained the same wrist twice
  • Landed on my neck and was super sore for a week, now it cracks a tiny bit every time I turn my head left.
They're like trophies!!!

The same thing that happens to your neck happens to my jaw, all the landings on my head

The same thing that happens to your neck happens to my jaw, all the landings on my head
Oh man, that's weird! :eek: Is it to the point where you don't even notice it anymore? That's how it is for me because the cracking is so slight and there's no pain at all. In the jaw though... that would be weird, I think! o_O

Oh man, that's weird! :eek: Is it to the point where you don't even notice it anymore? That's how it is for me because the cracking is so slight and there's no pain at all. In the jaw though... that would be weird, I think! o_O
Yeah I defiantly notice it, is also from my orthodontist not making my jaw completely straight, no pain or anything just a weird popping

- fractured foot 2 years ago
- lower back problems which are forever ongoing (doctors couldn't figure it out at first, then we found out it was because of my lack of shoulder flexibility, and my lower back had to constantly make up for that)
- broken ankle 5 years ago
- hip flexor strain in February
- arthritis :/
- broken toe 3 years ago
- my toe nail fell off a few weeks ago if that counts, lol
- strained ACL
- my coach thought I had a concussion a week or 2 ago, but we got it checked out and I was cleared.
I'm the cripple on my team:/

- fractured foot 2 years ago
- lower back problems which are forever ongoing (doctors couldn't figure it out at first, then we found out it was because of my lack of shoulder flexibility, and my lower back had to constantly make up for that)
- broken ankle 5 years ago
- hip flexor strain in February
- arthritis :/
- broken toe 3 years ago
- my toe nail fell off a few weeks ago if that counts, lol
- strained ACL
- my coach thought I had a concussion a week or 2 ago, but we got it checked out and I was cleared.
I'm the cripple on my team:/
I AM TOO! They call me Emmy the crippled

Myself, back in the day:
-fractured wrist (scaphoid)
-severely sprained ankle
-hyperextended knee

My daughter, thusfar:
-Osgood Sclatters
-Thumb sprain
-Heel bone bruise

I hope that that is the end of the list, but probably not.

OG - Sprained knee tripping over a girl who decided to sit on the floor while OG was cross tumbling... sprained ankle on a beam fall... other knee and ankle problems from PE class at school... stress fracture in her foot exacerbated by dropping a 6 lb paperweight on her foot. She also has mild back and wrist issues.

YG - "head-eck" from too many bridges is the worst of it and she has been in the gym for 8+ years (started at 17 months old). Give her head-eck pills and send her back to practice... but nothing upside down til it goes away.

Me (very few of these from gymnastics)- 18 concussions from various activities including playing the trombone, 2x torn left rotator cuff (slightly), arthritis (and no cartilage) in both knees, 8x sprained left ankle (5 since Jan 1, 2012), hyperextended right knee, 2x sprained right wrist, 7 cracked ribs (jumped out of a tree approx 15 feet high... didn't realize there was an old brick sidewalk under the grass), 3 broken middle fingers, 6x broken right 2nd toe, shin splints, 2x dislocated left shoulder, hyperextended left elbow. Other than the rotator cuff and the knees, I am good to go right now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back