Terrified of back tuck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

fliptwisttwirl

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I am a level 7-8 gymnast in every event except floor. I'm terrified of doing a roundoff backhandspring tuck! I can't get past it no matter how hard I try. Flip flops on beam don't even scare me but when it comes to doing a simple tuck I freak out. I bailed on one two years ago and landed on my neck and I've had serious back problems since then but I know I can do it--I leaned it like 5 years ago. And the other day in practice my coach was standing there while I did one and I bailed again an now I'm even more scared than I was before. I have a level 6 compulsory and level 8 optional meet this weekend(first on of the season for me) and I don't know how I can get past this stupid mental block before then. Any ideas on how to get over it?

Going back to basic backward salto progressions. Back drops, back drop to backward roll, backdrop pullover. Back tucks in harness.

Don't stress out about it. It happens to many people and it just takes patience. Try just RO-BHS and RO-BHS-BHS first. Start not even worrying about the backtuck. Next try some standing backtucks with a spot. It might be easier from a single skill and not having the power from the RO and the BHS. When that isn't as scary try doing backhandsprin backtucks on a airtrack or tumble track. Next try the whole thing from a powerhurdle or a few walking steps. I know when I had my metal block the walking was easier than running because I didn't have as much power, and the power was what scared me. Keep working at it. Have coach spot you until you feel comfortable and then have your coach just start backing away as your tumbling til she's/he's standing off the floor. Even if you can't get it for your meets don't stress, there will always be more meets for you to compete at. Good Luck!

Thank yall so much! I did my tuck yesterday and today in the meet out of the blue. Thanks for all yalls advice, it helped tremendously!! (Especially what gymgirl1129 said about doing it with walking steps because I'm afraid of the power)
:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back