The mental aspect of gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
It seems very evident the gymnastics can be as much of a mental sport as well as a physical sport.

Kids going through blocks/fears and even forgetting routines etc.

Is this something that the coaches determine is needed or is it part of some gym clubs program. I had read on a previous post about "Dr. Ali" and I believe a parent had mentioned they had her do a group session at their gym. Was this helpful?

I have gone to her website and was reading about the different products offered and I noticed there were videos and such as well. Has anyone ever tried this approach?

I got the impression that for things like "mental tightness" it seemed you would need to take on this with the coach as well and making it a part of the daily training routine - key words, visulization etc. Having said that; what if you start this and then your coach leaves or you are moved up to a different level with a different coach. I know in our gym other than the two head coaches many of the others are past gymnasts that are coaching as a part time job while they finish up University etc. Then they get full time jobs and really don't coach very often.

Also is this something that is better being looked at when they are at a certain age or level?

I have recently joined the board of our club as we are a not for profit "parent owned" club and I thought this might be an interesting point to brin gup at our mettings, but I do not have alot of insight as I am new to the sport.

Yes! We had Doc Ali at our gym a few times--several years ago and she was great. I really think she helped the girls alot. She also did a parent session--that I found helpful as well. We'd like to get her back next year!

Beth is doing the Web Camp--online weekly meetings and she's found it very helpful. Doc Ali really works to stop that negative thinking so many gymnasts have (I fell on this so I must be awful--I'll never get this down!)

Having Beth do the Web Camp is something I determined as a parent--talked with other parents and some online gym parent friends--and they said it was great for their daughters. I told Beth's coaches what she was doing and they thought it was a wonderful idea.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back