WAG the more the better - how is your gym handling that?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering if "the more to better" applies to gymnastics skills?
I know that when you do strength training you need to give your body some rest to recover and adapt to the new stress - but what about skills? Like standing tucks, round off back handsprings, full twists, kips, free hip handstands etc.

Is there a recommended number of repetitions of a skill that should be done per day?

At our gym, we are usually asked to do "10 of the each." Which means 10 standing back tucks, 10 standing BH on beam, 10 RO BH BT, 10 RO BH BL, 10 running Front Tucks, 10 Full Turns, 10 Kip Cast Handstands, 10 Flyaways and so on.

Would we make faster progress if we would double the numbers, train twice a day or spend the whole day at a gym tumbling like in a camp?
Or can there be overload? Would it make sense to train in the mornings and in the evenings to get more reps and make faster progress or do you also need a certain time span to get used to a skill not only reps?

I need to say I am talking about L4-L7/8 gymnasts. Beyond that is maybe a different story - much more skills and they shouldn't be in need to practice the basics as much!

Hope you get my point.

Also, I would be interested how your gym is handling that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back