Thinking about quitting...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been having a really discouraging past 3 months in gymnastics. I fell on a ROBHS and haven't done one without a spot since. I still had my standing bhs, but now that's gone too, I guess I just lost the feeling. I had a really good bar routine but now I lost the single leg shoot through ( I don't think it will be too hard to get back since I lose it often and then get it back). Then last night I was freaking out on my STRIDE CIRCLE, a skill I have had forever. I just feel like I am losing everything. Back in the summer I could do all of these skills and was getting close on the back tuck and roundoff bhs RO double-BHS. Now I just feel so discouraged. I have talked to my coach about this, but it just isn't helping. I had a meet last weekend that I skipped because I can't do the skills anymore. Then, In February I have 2 meets! In March 1, and in April another one. The reason I am thinking of quitting is because my parents are paying for this and I am just getting worse, and also feeling discouraged after every practice. Plus, I want to do well at meets. On the bright side, my vault is getting really super good! I think that's because I am so angry about the events that used to be my best, that I am letting it all out at vault! So I guess right now, vault is my favorite. The reasons I don't want to quit are because I just got my leo, I really really really love the sport, I love my teammates, I have the best coaches, and I really enjoy meets and want to do well. So what should I do? Have any of you faced this question before? How did you handle it?

Hang in there sweetie! Skills come and go, but I bet if you don't stress out about it you'll get them all back in no time. Focus on how it feels to do the skill correctly. Think of all the baby steps that got you there & work on one small thing at a time.

Go and check out this site: Headgames It's all about the mental aspect of gymnastics and I can't say enough good things about this lady. Read the articles there. She's got some great advice about how to get past the mental blocks that can plague a gymnast. Hopefully something will resound with you and help you get going again.

Hang in there! If you love gymnastics and quite because of hard few months, you're going to be filled with lots of regrets and "what ifs" later. Quitting isn't a bad thing, everyone has got to leave competitive gymnastics behind at some point, but it is SO much better to do it on your terms not because you feel like there are no other options. If you love gymnastics, stick with it and just keep trying. It is frustrating but nearly every gymnast goes through the same thing at one time or another.
Go back to working on basics, lots of drills for bhs, RO-jump backwards onto a high stack of mats, all of that stuff you did when first learning. Work on each baby step until it feels comfortable and you have no fears, then move on to the next. Eventually you'll get back up to the standing bhs with a spot and then by yourself.
Be patient with yourself, you KNOW you can do those things and they will come back!

maybe you are in a growth spurt. even a fraction of an inch or an ounce of weight can change your center of gravity.........hang in there it will get better!

I have been having a really discouraging past 3 months in gymnastics. I fell on a ROBHS and haven't done one without a spot since. I still had my standing bhs, but now that's gone too, I guess I just lost the feeling. I had a really good bar routine but now I lost the single leg shoot through ( I don't think it will be too hard to get back since I lose it often and then get it back). Then last night I was freaking out on my STRIDE CIRCLE, a skill I have had forever. I just feel like I am losing everything. Back in the summer I could do all of these skills and was getting close on the back tuck and roundoff bhs RO double-BHS. Now I just feel so discouraged. I have talked to my coach about this, but it just isn't helping. I had a meet last weekend that I skipped because I can't do the skills anymore. Then, In February I have 2 meets! In March 1, and in April another one. The reason I am thinking of quitting is because my parents are paying for this and I am just getting worse, and also feeling discouraged after every practice. Plus, I want to do well at meets. On the bright side, my vault is getting really super good! I think that's because I am so angry about the events that used to be my best, that I am letting it all out at vault! So I guess right now, vault is my favorite. The reasons I don't want to quit are because I just got my leo, I really really really love the sport, I love my teammates, I have the best coaches, and I really enjoy meets and want to do well. So what should I do? Have any of you faced this question before? How did you handle it?

My dd went through this exact same thing with the ROBHS and the BHS. She still has issues and fear on these skills but is getting better with them. What helps my dd is to NOT STRESS OUT about it. Try not to think or worry about it so much. I also have read the Doc Ali articles (many posters have brought up her work in the past and she has really helped a lot of gymnasts and athletes) and found them very informative.

The key is to seperate your emotions (fear and anxiety) from the skill. Do many repetitions on a safe surface where you feel comfortable--into a pit or on mats, until you totally feel confident again with the skill. And be PATIENT. Skills take time to be mastered and rushing skills will never work. Rushing only opens up the door for fear and anxiety to creep in and overcome your head and thinking. Another thing to think about is growth spurts. A growth spurt of any kind can really throw off your gymnastics. If you grow and inch, the BHS will "feel" different and it may take time to get used to. Just keep working at it and set little goals for yourself each day. Be POSITIVE and try not to get discouraged.

Good luck!!

My dd went through this exact same thing with the ROBHS and the BHS. She still has issues and fear on these skills but is getting better with them. What helps my dd is to NOT STRESS OUT about it. Try not to think or worry about it so much. I also have read the Doc Ali articles (many posters have brought up her work in the past and she has really helped a lot of gymnasts and athletes) and found them very informative.

The key is to seperate your emotions (fear and anxiety) from the skill. Do many repetitions on a safe surface where you feel comfortable--into a pit or on mats, until you totally feel confident again with the skill. And be PATIENT. Skills take time to be mastered and rushing skills will never work. Rushing only opens up the door for fear and anxiety to creep in and overcome your head and thinking. Another thing to think about is growth spurts. A growth spurt of any kind can really throw off your gymnastics. If you grow and inch, the BHS will "feel" different and it may take time to get used to. Just keep working at it and set little goals for yourself each day. Be POSITIVE and try not to get discouraged.

Good luck!!

Yeah, I having been hearing about the growth spurt thing a lot lately. I have been gaining a lot of weight and growing a lot in the past year, but everything was fine until early November when I fell on a roundoff backhandspring and got all shaken up! I tried it again but couldn't do it, and then I just got more and more scared every week and that affected other skills. It's just been on and off for the past 3 months. I guess I am just frustrated because I had all those skills for almost a year when this happened! Thank you so much though, and I will check out the Headgames website.

Your screen name says everything to me!!! You love this sport...especially FLOOR!!! If you love it don't quit. Quit when you are done accomplishing reasonable goals & are ready to try something new. Don't quit because of a rough patch. My DD has struggled with severe fear issues for years. There is always some skill that's giving her issues. She loses skills she's had for years & she gets frustrated too. It just took her 3 months to get her flyaway back & she's a L7/L8!!! Yes, she get frustrated & embarrassed, but she keeps going back because she LOVES the sport. And I think you do too. Is there a supportive caring coach that is willing to work with you? You need to take baby steps. Go back to the start & work you way back up. Don't put any time limits on when you need to get a skill by. Time limits just get in the way of your work. If you did this skill before you can surely do it again!!! It's just a process to get there & you may need some help from a supportive coach. Good luck, I have faith, I KNOW you can do this!!!!:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back