Time between practice and meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
DD is going to the Pink Invitational in 3 weeks. Because some levels are competing Friday, there is no team practice Friday night. There is open gym on Friday night but we have been told that it's not for team girls because all of the team coaches will already be at the meet. DD doesn't compete till Sunday night. Is having 3 days off (last practice will be Thursday) before a meet bad? Is it worth asking the HC if girls who compete on Sunday could come in for at least part of open gym and run through their routines? Or should I just assume that everyone else in that Sunday evening session is probably in the same boat and not worry about it?

Well i don't see the harm in asking if its just to run through routines, as long as their will be a coach their

sorry for asking Mary, but i can't remember what level all the children are at. so, what level is she?

^^ they are level 6. I would say it is fine. that has happened twice this season to my level 8 team and everything turned out ok. I think giving their bodies a break before a meet is a good idea, especially if you are traveling.

For our most recent meet, our L6 girls competed Friday morning. They usually practice Tues/Thurs, but they were forbidden to come to practice on Thursday night before the meet. Several parents had arranged previously to meet up at the gym to carpool/caravan to the meet location (about a 2.5-3 hour drive), and when the head coach saw that they were still there at 6 PM, she started giving them the stink eye!

(And they did great, by the way.)

That is common for a meet that is F, Sa, and Sun. Its travel time. It doesn't really matter for those few days. Rest before a meet is important too.

My poor DD is surviving meet season on about 2 days of practice per week....she has dance 2 weeknights a week which she cannot miss and she has gym on M, W, F, and Sat. So, she has missed F and Sat practice quite a few times and had her last practice of the week on Wednesdays several times in the last couple months. So far, she has been ok. I don't love it but it is what it is, I guess. Good luck to Kathy!!

Do not worry about missing a practice before a meet...if she's not ready by then, the one practice will not make a difference. We just traveled to a Level 10 meet, missed 2 practices due to travel time, and the girls all did quite well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back