Tips for improving tap swings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
Hi,

I am looking for tips for my level 5 DD to improve her tap swings. They are not that bad, but they need to be a little bigger.

Also, on the swing back, are judges looking at the height of the feet? I have heard that they are looking for them to be at least at the line of the low bar. But isn't it the back that is the part of the body that reaches the highest point?

Thoughts appreciated!

tap swings can be dangerous. these are one of those things where the information could serve to injure your child. i hope no one else comments. this should be left to the coach. it is a developmental thing. i hope you understand.:)

just that their feet don't go out over or hit the low bar. nice hollow shape. and seeing that little wiggle (tap) as they go thru the bottom.

They are not that bad, but they need to be a little bigger.

Coaches have told me that with tap swings, it is best to focus on good technique first, before going for more height. Maybe this is what her coaches are doing.

Judges look for hips getting up in the back swing. So pike/hollow.

just that their feet don't go out over or hit the low bar. nice hollow shape. and seeing that little wiggle (tap) as they go thru the bottom.

I've always wondered why they were called "tap" swings. Thanks for that!

they call them "beat" swings in the UK, I think. Change from arch to hollow or hollow to arch.

Judges look for hips getting up in the back swing. So pike/hollow.

The specific deduction in the compulsory text is "failure to show a straight line from hands to hips with chest in a hollow position with rounded hip angle." So, no pike.

We use the "pike" as a developmental tool to get them to not arch. But yes, hollow is preferable.

The specific deduction in the compulsory text is "failure to show a straight line from hands to hips with chest in a hollow position with rounded hip angle." So, no pike.

What does "rounded hip angle" mean?

Not piked.

It makes no sense, as you can't round an angle. Hip angle can be closed to varying degrees (pike), straight, or open (extended). And I can't even imagine how to be shaped like a spoon. Still confused...

It makes no sense, as you can't round an angle. Hip angle can be closed to varying degrees (pike), straight, or open (extended). And I can't even imagine how to be shaped like a spoon. Still confused...

It basically means curved. Pike would be a 90 degree bend at the hips, and even perhaps a little less than 90. The hollow shape they are looking for is like this " ) " but on more of an angle. The top of that bracket would be the gymnasts hands on the bar, the rounded part would be the gymnasts shoulders and hips and the bottom part, the feet.

Hope that makes sense!

It makes no sense, as you can't round an angle...

Rounded angle = Arc

Rounded hip angle = Bottom tight and tucked under, front of hips flat, back rounded, lower back pushing back and rounding

As Marie said, think this shape ( not < or / or {

Okay, sounds like the same shape as a dish hold but on the bar. The hip angle would need to be slightly closed, to make the bottom part of the 'arc'.

Sorry if I seem to have hijacked the OP's thread, but I have another question for the experts. During the swing forward, how long should you hold the dish shape? At some point before the tap you must switch to more an arched shape. Watching my DD"s class working on tap swings, many of them get archy very early, they look like fish flapping on the end of a line! Compared to when I watch the top MAG gymnasts at our gym, who keep a very tight shape throughout and the arch is very subtle. Does the flappy back thing need to be corrected immediately, or is it just a phase that beginners go through when learning tap swings?

it's a phase. they will continue to improve as they get stronger and confident thru the bottom of the swing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back