To pop or not pop bubble on hand?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
DD worked bars hard at practice tonight and ended up with a blister on her hand...not a rip yet.

She has states on Saturday at noon.

What should I do with it? Pop it or leave it? She has practice for 4 hrs tomorrow.

Rips and blisters REALLY bother her...what's the best thing to do to make it better for her for states on Sunday?

Any help is much appreciated!:)

My dd pops it and removes the loose skin. She says it hurts her more if she does not pop when she is on the bar. She then adds ointment.

her own skin is the best bandage. needle prick small hole. put lighter to the end of needle to sterilize. leave skin on as long as possible or until it rips/falls off on its own.

When DD had a water blister in the middle of her hand her coach told us to pop it with a pin and let it drain then the skin would dry up and fall off.

I have always been told to drain the blister but leave it there as natures bandaid. The new skin will begin to form under the old skin and thereefore be less painful.

I have seen girls hacking at blisters with nail clippers, ick!!!

I would drain it, put on some polysporin and tape it. She'll be fine.

how about take a break from bars for the day in preparation for the meet? that's what we let our girls do when they have a big meet coming up and they are ripping or about to rip (you can tell). save their hands, they are obviously working hard enough if they are ripping!

As a nurse I say leave it alone--the blister is protecting the skin underneath. As a practical matter, I know it's going to burst soon anyway--Beth's always do right away.

bubble update...:eek:she went to practice tonight and worked bars hard again (no resting at our gym!:rolleyes:). We didn't pop it because it went down quite a bit during the day today. She taped it up good and made it through practice without it ripping. We looked at it again tonight and it shows no sign of popping so I put some "new skin" on it and am hoping it can hang on until after the meet tomorrow?:confused:The bubble doesn't hurt her and I know it hurts when you pop it so I am just hoping to keep it in place till after the meet.

Thanks for all the help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back