Too much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mnkymom

Proud Parent
Hi all. I am brand new here:) I have a 3 (almost 4) yr. Old that is in an adv. Pre-rec. Class. I recently signed her up for a second hour long class. So, she goes 2 hours per week. Her coach didn't say anything negative, but another coach (she only does mom n me classes) looked disturbed when I mentioned the second class. She said it was a little much. I am not trying to push her, she just loves it. Like many of your kids, I'm sure, she asks everyday if it is gym day. So, is two days too much for an almost 4 year old?

Welcome to the Chalkbucket, we have lots of moms of little ones here.

One hour twice a week doesn't sound like to much to me as long as she is having fun. Any regular here will tell you that I will certainly let you know if I think it's over the top. ;)

I personally don't think it would be to much.
Then again it also depends on the class itself. If it's really pushing the girls and all about "They gotta be ready to compete" Then eh. But if it's just Adv. Pre-Rec. with some fun involved and just for enjoyment then I don't see why not!!
If shes enjoying it then go for it!!

It's probably fine with the way most preschool classes are run. It sounds like it is very fun for her and probably not "hard work". If you had her in two classes a day several times a week then I might be disturbed, but going to a fun class for an hour twice a week is another thing.

If she loves it and you can afford it and have the time then why not? :)
My 4 year old would love to do two classes a week but we just can't fit it in our schedule right now. She asks me every single day too if it is gym day.
Hope she has fun. Don't worry about the other coach, if you and your DD are happy with it and you are not pushing her then all is well!

two days a week for 1 hour is great. Twice, a week is definitely not too much. In fact young kids learn better this way. If they have class only once a week their bodies forget from week to week how to do things, they progress more than twice as fast doing two.

Yes, people say it should be about having fun at this age, and yes of course it should. But having a great time and loving gymnastics is one part of it and the other is teaching the basics well because they lay the foundations for having fun and loving gymnastics later on.

Thank you for all you replies. These are just advanced pre-rec. classes, no serious training involved:). So, sounds like 2 hours a week is just right. The coach that seemed bothered has never worked with my dd, so maybe she just doesn't realize how enthusiastic she is!!! Looking forward to exploring this forum even more. All three of my kids are involved with gym:)

Hi all. I am brand new here:) I have a 3 (almost 4) yr. Old that is in an adv. Pre-rec. Class. I recently signed her up for a second hour long class. So, she goes 2 hours per week. Her coach didn't say anything negative, but another coach (she only does mom n me classes) looked disturbed when I mentioned the second class. She said it was a little much. I am not trying to push her, she just loves it. Like many of your kids, I'm sure, she asks everyday if it is gym day. So, is two days too much for an almost 4 year old?

Welcome! My DD started gymnastics right around 4 years old and was put in Developmental Team which is basically an advanced rec class. She went 2 days a week for 2 hours each day. I didn't think it was too much for her at all. Right after she turned 5 she moved to Level 4 and jumped to 10.5 hours per week. I got many responses that it was too much for her age, but she's my child and I'm to be the judge of that. She's now 6 and training Level 5 and she goes 12 hours a week without even blinking. She has no problems with the hours. She has friends that are 8-9 who could not handle that many hours and quit. It just really depends on the child. Mine is super hyper and it works for her. She'd go everyday if it was possible. She counts the days until she has gym again.

At that age and beginning level it's really mostly just play. Ask yourself would you hesitate to take her to the park for an hour twice a week? No. What's the difference?

I think my daughter was going to preschool 2 class 3 times a week at that age. Mostly because she loved it and the gym gave a fantastic rate on the 3rd or more class per family, so I already had 2 kids in 1 class each it was like ... OK if you want extra no big deal.

I don't think she learned much gymnastics, but she did love it.

Hi, I'm new too:). My DD is 3 1/2 and does 2 preschool classes a week. They are actually at two different gym(just thought I'd get a feel for different places); one is a 45min class and the other 1hr. She loves them both and looks forward to her"nastic" days. I don't think it is excessive, it's not like they are doing serious stuff, just fun Preschool things. Sometimes if we are really bored we even do open gym, she only goes to preschool 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hrs, gotta fill up the hours some how:D

I guess I'll admit to taking her to open gym on Fridays as well....haha! Mostly she just runs around, jumps in the pit, and does the zip line.

I never thought of it in terms of just extra play time....like going to the park. So very true. And if I did take her to the park, she would be cart wheeling, hand standing, and somersaulting anyway:) Thanks again! I don't feel so much like crazy-pushy mom now:)

No not as long as you don't also have her in soccer, swimming, horse riding, karate, ballet and scuba diving. ;) A lot of parents try to do way too much with little ones. I had a lady who had her 3 year old in gym, horse riding, dance, swimming and pre school, she was 3 keep in mind and she began her day at 5a.m. horse riding she then went to swim practice then off to pre school where you then directly came from preschool to gym some days and pre school to dance on others, gym was at 5:30p.m. and the girl was always exhusted and acted out, she got no nap ever by the way.

It actually took me months to find this out, I just knew the girl was the worst listener and totally not ready for gym and she always said she was tired, I asked Mom several times and she said she didn't know why "Suzie" acted this way in gym, she tried blaiming it on my coaching skills. Then one day it came out, poor kid. Luckily for me she quit paying her bills and left, sad for the kid.

Lesson in point 2 hours is fine so long as she has fun and is well rested, there are plenty of years to explore lots of other activities don't over tax your pre schoolers. Life only gets harder and more filled as the years go by, let your kids have fun and simply be kids while they are young.

Wow, that is crazy!^^^^^^^^. I can't imagine putting a 3 yr old through that, what is point? Let them be little kids and have lots of free time to play and use their imaginations. I wouldn't want that schedule as an adult! DD's does a tiny tot dance class,in addition to the two mentioned gym classes, her activities take up all of 2 1/2 hrs a week:)

I don't see an issue with it. My 4-year old goes twice a week. She goes to a regular hour long class, in addition to a half hour private. She asks me all the time, "Is today nastics"?

I don't think it's too much. Good to be active and have fun! My daughter did 2 hours a week for one session and STILL wanted to do more. I don't think 2 hours is too much at all. Let her have fun! everyone has a different opinion of what too much is. (and they all think THEIR opinion is THEE right one). Your best bet is to decide what is best for you and your family. You will know if it's a healthy option for your child. That's what mama instincts are for. What's good for one child might not be right for another.

That's a fine amount of time to do gymnastics...even with the open gym.

I thinking slowly building up the number of hours is great if you can do it. Much better than jumping from 45 minutes a week to 90 2x a week.

My DD is 4.5yr and during the school year last year was going 1.5hr 2x/week, but when they moved half the class up, they took the time back to 1hr 2x/week. Both are fine for her. We're actually adding a 30 min private once a week into her schedule, because she's the only one left in the class working TOPs and her coach is having a hard time doing that with her when there are 4 more kids in the class not doing it.

This summer my daughter is going 1.5hrs 2x a week. I was originally going to move her back to 1x a week as she transitions to kindergarten (it is a language immersion program and based on my knowledge - it is very exhausting for the kids). However, she has asked to stay at the 2x a week and we'll be here anyway for my older daughter, so I figured why not. Plus, the next level will be 2hrs. 3x a week and the transition from 3 to 6 hours will be easier than 1.5 hrs to 6 hrs!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back