WAG Too old for elite?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So a couple of moms from my girls' team were talking outside the gym and I overheard. They were talking about a 15 year old level 10 that wanted to do elite. She is in 10th grade so she will be turning 16 this year. The girl is a pretty solid 10 and she swings bars on the fig setting. Thing is, if she were to make it, she would be going right into senior competitions and that would be rough.

Im just wandering if she has a shot at going elite. Is it possible for a 15 year old (turning 16 this school year) to go elite? I don't really know how they qualify for elite so is it very challenging?

Is she too old for elite and should just focus on level 10?

I think it's never too late, but I'm no expert. What do you think?

I suppose it would depend on what her goals are...are they to just "do elite" (as in get her elite qualifying score and compete in meets for 10/elite for the year and do maybe Classic and VISAs) or are her goals to make the National Team and all that goes with it? If she just wants to try doing elite, no harm in trying...if she doesn't get her qualifying score, she remains a Level 10 and continues on as before. Trying to make the National Team at that age would be more difficult but as some have said, not unheard of...but I will say, with Kayla Williams, she was a VERY strong level 10 and had won JOs , had a Yurchenko double twist before they were common and had been asked by the National staff to consider elite before she tested , so it wasn't just a random diamond in the rough when she did it...she was on the radar for USAG before she got there.

A girl at a local gym went Elite her Senior year, I think (she did level 10 up until then). She competed at Nationals and made the team for the Pan Am games, so it's certainly possible.

Rather common at a gym we used to be affiliated with to have as many L10s as possible regardless of age get the elite qualifying score. Most of the girls would just drop back to L10 and never compete elite, but they thought it helped get scholarships and good marketing for the gym.

Rather common at a gym we used to be affiliated with to have as many L10s as possible regardless of age get the elite qualifying score. Most of the girls would just drop back to L10 and never compete elite, but they thought it helped get scholarships and good marketing for the gym.

I wondered about the scholarship relation. I also think some girls want to say that they made it to elite, even if they have no intention of competing there. That one higher goal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back