MAG Too Old to Start?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hi all.

Basically, I want to find out if it's too late for me to start training in gymnastics and be able to be competitive. I'm 21 years old and 6'1". I have good natural muscle tone and am fairly strong, in general. Oh yeah, my weight, honestly it's a little high right now, around 185. I'm fully confident I'd be able to commit to a training program and lose excess weight/gain more muscle.

I know that a lot of the guys you see in elite competitions are younger and shorter than I am. But does this mean it's (effectively) impossible? I did do gymnastics when I was 3-4 but quit. My mom tells me I just didn't want to go, I think I remember that I had gone past the little little kids level and was going into a higher one and everything was a lot harder and I didn't like it. Lol, I always wish I had stuck with it. But I digress. I don't remember much other than stretching and rolling from then. I was also on the varsity swim team in high school for 2 years. I have had a knee injury, one time I just stepped really strangely (sort of on purpose, I was demonstrating someone else's walk) and heard two pops and went down. I went to the ER and got x-rays and a leg brace/crutches. I think I had to walk on those for around 2 weeks. I don't know much about how bad it was but I know it was my medial collateral ligament. It bothers me from time to time.

So, do you think I have a chance of being competitive (which is a term I use because I know nothing about the levels of competition)?

It's never too late to start learning gymnastics.

Being competitive is relative to who you are competing against. Get into a gym and have some fun. Within a month or two you will know the answer to your question.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back