WAG tougher scoring in certain states?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom4

Proud Parent
I have heard some mentions here on CB about how some states tend to score tougher than others.

Is that true?

Where are the higher scores seemingly harder to get and where is the judging maybe more lax?

Our head coach in FL warned me of that when we moved from FL to CA over the summer. She said religion 1 (CA) is a tougher region than region 8 (FL). She wanted us to know that new gym in CA may place DD (7 year old level 3) lower than she was in FL.

Sure enough, when we got to CA head coach at new gym (which we really like!) indicated that although she had all of her level 3 skills, they needed to be cleaned up some in order for her scores to be decent.

Our state/region seems very hard scoring in comparison to what I read here, for what seems to be very comparable routines (when I have seen videos). We rarely see scores over 9, especially not at the beginning of season. Even at the end of season, only the highest scoring "phenom" kids have scores in the 36AA area.
Our gymnasts fare ok to well in regionals etc and although we don't currently have any Elites we have several girls going to the ranch and most of our L10's leave with college scholarships so it's not like we just have mediocre gymnasts or coaches..! :)
Disclaimer: I am only talking compulsory here as I have no clue how the scores stack up in optionals.

Type of competition seems to matter more than state out here on the girls' side. Local invitationals with only a handful of teams participating tend to score more gently than large invitationals with lots of gyms. Unfortunately, DD as a L8 this year will be going almost exclusively to the big meets with the tough judges!

The boys always go to one meet right before states where high scores are handed out like lollipops, LOL. Though last year, oddly enough, states was a real feel-good meet.

Lol, that's funny because it seems States is a "feel good" meet here too. We saw higher scores at Sectionals than we had seen all season, and even higher at States. We go to a variety of competitions, some in our state some in others, and across the board the "in state" meets scored slightly lower than the "next state" meets, but even so none compared to the scores at sectionals/states and were still significantly lower than lots of scores I see mentioned here. :) more experienced parents told me scores at states are always higher than what we see during season.

At the end of the day, placement is all that matters. If a 5.0 wins the event, and they gave it to the best kid, then all is good in my world! :) But yes, I notice a wide variation in scores not only from State to State, but also meet to meet if there are different judges. Welcome to gymnastics! :)

I have heard some mentions here on CB about how some states tend to score tougher than others. Is that true?

Mom4kids; I am in step with Gymsanity. Placement matters. The athlete who should win is usually obvious to all. It is much harder for judges to place 4th from 5th or even 10 from 11th. Gymnasts/coaches do not control scores we control routines, skills, and performances. I do not have scores as goals at meets - ever.

However, I see that the judges, residents of our state, who are very qualified, experienced, professional frequently travel out of state for judging assignments. I see their efforts as consistent. The range of scores change at meets with the different judging panels. The experienced judges are the "Head judge on an event." Judges are required to stay within a range of each other (depending on the USA-G level) and they have "judges mtg.'s" at their events during the meet to sort their range out. IMO, the score does not change a lot with the experienced judges (usually with the L8-10's).

Best, SBG -

Out of 175 competitors at my DD's level 6 state meet only 23 scored 9.0 or higher on bars and of those just 10 were above 9.1. I think that's pretty tough!

Just like Cassafrass, we were at an invitation in our state with 100 level 5 gymnasts where the highest bars score was an 8.8. And we are not in CA, TX, FL or any of those "big" gymnastics states... So, who knows if that rumour about tougher states is true!

We are region 5 and I think for the most part, the judges call it how they see it. As parents though we see things differently though and sometimes puzzle over the scores too much. I am guilty of this too. It is interesting to me though that a significant portion of the "Top 100" scores on mymeetscores.com seem to come from a few states. So either the judges are a little more forgiving or the gymnastics is better in those states. If you look at the home states of the young women on our senior national team, you may decide that the second option is the more likely of the two. Now when look at the composition of the junior national team, you will see that the rest of the country seems to be catching up as the girls come from all over the United States. If this is truly the case, this is good for the United States. Food for thought...

Region 1 is a tougher region I've heard, especially California. I'm from CA and when I've traveled to neighboring states in the region my scores always go up.

I'm from California, and we were really worried about travelling, especially to Texas with their reputation, but we have discovered that our fiercest competition seems to be here at home. In fact, my youngest a couple years ago at level 8 got her first (and only!!) 38.8 at the WOGA meet - we couldn't believe the high scores they were handing out at that one. But it felt like it didn't count, since dd knew her skills weren't that good. But it looks good on My Meet Scores!

I'm from California, and we were really worried about travelling, especially to Texas with their reputation, but we have discovered that our fiercest competition seems to be here at home. In fact, my youngest a couple years ago at level 8 got her first (and only!!) 38.8 at the WOGA meet - we couldn't believe the high scores they were handing out at that one. But it felt like it didn't count, since dd knew her skills weren't that good. But it looks good on My Meet Scores!

I'm from a California gym too, and we went to the WOGA meet back in 2011. My teammate, who by the way is amazing anyway, at most CA meets scored high 37's to mid 38's, and she scored a 39 in TX. I usually scored mid-high 36's and got a mid-37 in TX.

I'm from a California gym too, and we went to the WOGA meet back in 2011. My teammate, who by the way is amazing anyway, at most CA meets scored high 37's to mid 38's, and she scored a 39 in TX. I usually scored mid-high 36's and got a mid-37 in TX.
But the possibility is that it isn't easy/hard scoring in CA or TX. Rather easier scoring at the WOGA meet, and we see that all the time meet to meet.

There are some states that score easier than others. I thought my region scored highly(region 6, i think). Then I saw a video with a girl getting perfect 10s and scoring 39s or so in all around, when it wasn't super amazing. I forget what state it was though, It was far away.

There are some states that score easier than others. I thought my region scored highly(region 6, i think). Then I saw a video with a girl getting perfect 10s and scoring 39s or so in all around, when it wasn't super amazing. I forget what state it was though, It was far away.
Probably TX

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back