Parents Transition from xcel to compulsories

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Avasmom

Proud Parent
My daughter has recently began telling me that she wants more hours in the gym. She is on xcel silver and they practice 2 days a week. She just turned 9 and is extremely mature for her age. I have a weekly private lesson set up with her coach to give her more but it's still not enough. Occasionally we add more private lessons too but my husband is fed up with the extra expense.

I have mentioned to the head coach that she would like more hours but that idea was turned down. I was willing to pay for another day too (if it was an option). Thinking ahead I was wondering if compulsories would be a better route for her? She is still able to do other sports in xcel but has told me she just wants to do gymnastics. Our gym doesn't offer compulsories so we would have to leave gyms if we made this decision now. We just started competition season and she wants to compete more than anything. I know very little about level 3 and 4 but I know level 4 requires a kip which she does not have. Therefore that would automatically put her at level 3 if we were to change gyms at this time.

I have always made both of children finish what they start so I feel like she should stay where she is now but there's this little voice in my head that tells me I am holding her back. Any advice?

I agree with @duyetanh … wait until the season is over to decide.
Hopefully the gym up trains skills during the season and doesn't just do routines - routines - routines.
Also, if you continue with the privates, maybe see if the coach will work on kips.
Requirements:
Level 3 Bars: Glide, pullover, front hip circle, shoot thru, middle circle, cut back, back hip circle, under swing dismount.
Level 3 Beam: Cross handstand, ronde de jambe, arabesque, 2 straight jumps, 2 pivot turns, heel snap turn in passé, cartwheel to side handstand with 1/4 turn dismount
Level 3 Floor: Split jump, straight jump, handstand bridge kick over, handstand forward roll step out, leap, backward roll to push up, split, 1/2 turn in passé, ROBHS
Level 3 Vault: Flatback on vault stack (not over the table).

Level 4 Bars: Kip, cast to horizontal, cast squat on, high bar kip, cast to horizontal, back hip circle, swings, 1/2 turn tap dismount
Level 4 Beam: some of the same stuff as L3, cartwheel, sissone, hold the dismount handstand for 1 second
Level 4 Floor: back extension roll to handstand, front handspring, back walkover, and RO2BHS are some of the new skills.
Level 4 Vault: Handspring over the vault table

We made the switch at the end of last season (so late spring) from Xcel Bronze to Level 4 -- and it required a gym switch because old gym didn't feel DD was JO material. Hours in the gym increased from 9 to 18 per week -- and drive to/from gym also increased from 5 minutes to about 35 min. each way. At the time of the switch, DD was 7 years old and had all of her L3 skills + kip. She was able to get the rest of her L4 skills (and even made good progress on L5 skills) over the summer because of extra training during the summer (25 hrs/week). I was surprised at how much faster my DD was able to acquire skills with the increased hours and more rigorous coaching. You might find the same thing...

The transition was a little rocky for all of the reasons that change is hard for any kid (saying good-bye to friends, getting comfortable in a new gym, etc.). I do not think the change from Xcel to JO (and increase in hours) created any additional difficulty. Like your DD, mine wanted more than Xcel had to offer. However, after one meet, I am noticing that the competition/scoring is tougher in JO. DD was top of the podium in Bronze, but is middle of the pack in L4. She seemed slightly disappointed with her performance at the first meet, and is pretty stressed about the next one. I'm hoping that with time she will see some improvement in scores and settle into a new norm. Mostly, I'm just proud that she went for it!

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

I have always made both of children finish what they start so I feel like she should stay where she is now but there's this little voice in my head that tells me I am holding her back. Any advice?

I would wait until the end of the season to actually move her. But I would be scoping out potential gyms. As once the their seasons end, would be the best time to move her. It is also likely that where you move her will also be involved in their season. And not alot of uptraining happens once the season gets in full swing. As well as they would be unlikely to do much with her until the season finishes as she has not trained JO level routines yet.

As a side note. Moving her to a gym that gives her more of what she needs to become better, would not be a case of not finishing what was started. She would not be "quitting" :)

after one meet, I am noticing that the competition/scoring is tougher in JO.
Yes. Puma Jr moved gyms 18 months ago and went from Xcel Gold to L4 and yes-huge difference, at least in our area. Good luck! Like the rest have said, do your research then make the call even if it's a tough one. Good luck! Pm me if you want more info or have questions :)

Yes. Puma Jr moved gyms 18 months ago and went from Xcel Gold to L4 and yes-huge difference, at least in our area. Good luck! Like the rest have said, do your research then make the call even if it's a tough one. Good luck! Pm me if you want more info or have questions :)
Has she been happy with the switch?

We made the switch at the end of last season (so late spring) from Xcel Bronze to Level 4 -- and it required a gym switch because old gym didn't feel DD was JO material. ... At the time of the switch, DD was 7 years old and had all of her L3 skills + kip.

That's the kind of thing I just don't understand. You have a 7 year old kipping and not JO material? What is wrong with these coaches?

----

OP, I would EXPLORE the option of switching now if that's available. She might be able to jump into training with an L3 team even if not competing with them this year (not time to get a leo, whatever) and then be caught up with the other girls when they move to L4.

Or she might be able to train with them on her off days from her Silver program if you live in a chill gym community. Since your current gym is more of a rec gym program, they might be less possessive and more supportive of a smooth transition.

You might hear any number of things including, we can't add another girl until after the season.

I have experienced both -- some very supportive of transitions between gyms because of the circumstances, and some very hostile no matter the circumstances. But if you have a gym with no JO, I would hope for a more supportive situation.

Has she been happy with the switch?
Absolutely. It was hard at first, change always is, but it was definitely the right move. She missed her teammates and coaches and it was tough to get used to way more conditioning (it literally quadrupled) but she adjusted well. She's still catching up though. She's come a long way, but still is behind.

Reactions: RTT
I would wait until the end of the season to actually move her. But I would be scoping out potential gyms. As once the their seasons end, would be the best time to move her. It is also likely that where you move her will also be involved in their season. And not alot of uptraining happens once the season gets in full swing. As well as they would be unlikely to do much with her until the season finishes as she has not trained JO level routines yet.

As a side note. Moving her to a gym that gives her more of what she needs to become better, would not be a case of not finishing what was started. She would not be "quitting" :)
I agree with you on the side note.

Regarding waiting until the season ends, I guess one needs to know when the other compulsory programs compete. They could be Fall only, Winter/Spring only, or some combination of both. Say if it's Fall only, then they will be finishing their competition season about now and joining them now would be ideal as you get a full fresh start in the program. If you wait until the spring after the Excel season, a couple of months have gone by where the child is likely not getting any uptraining or developing compulsory skills so there is potential risk of falling further behind in development. If the compulsory programs go into the spring, I agree, it might not be the best time to move on as they will likely not consider you.

I agree with you on the side note.

Regarding waiting until the season ends, I guess one needs to know when the other compulsory programs compete. They could be Fall only, Winter/Spring only, or some combination of both. Say if it's Fall only, then they will be finishing their competition season about now and joining them now would be ideal as you get a full fresh start in the program. If you wait until the spring after the Excel season, a couple of months have gone by where the child is likely not getting any uptraining or developing compulsory skills so there is potential risk of falling further behind in development. If the compulsory programs go into the spring, I agree, it might not be the best time to move on as they will likely not consider you.
Yes that is why I said, likely and suggested scoping out potential gyms, so all that information would be known.

so there is potential risk of falling further behind in development.

There is no risk of falling behind. There is no one trajectory. No one curve everyone is expected to stay on. She is not on a JO team yet. She can not be behind. She will start where she is at.

They have their own curves. Lets assume, its a fall season (not summer season). She misses a few weeks and has all summer to up train. Really I know this is blasphemy in gym parent circles but it is not a big deal. Its a marathon, it doesn't matter.

Now joining a gym in the middle of their season where they are concentrating on making routines state ready, where she might not be learning much, would not be a good first impression for her.

JMO

I've been watching this thread and am a little confused by some of the responses. So often with this sport it seems like age is crucial and if a kid isn't on the JO track at a very early age then forget that ever happening. I like the analogy about it being a marathon rather than a sprint, but most gyms don't seem all that willing to consider girls for JO past a (very young) age. Unless it's radically different from gym to gym or region to region?

I've been watching this thread and am a little confused by some of the responses. So often with this sport it seems like age is crucial and if a kid isn't on the JO track at a very early age then forget that ever happening. I like the analogy about it being a marathon rather than a sprint, but most gyms don't seem all that willing to consider girls for JO past a (very young) age. Unless it's radically different from gym to gym or region to region?
It is very much region and gym dependent.

We are a low hour gym. I have been repeatedly told it is simply not possible for my daughter to be a level whatever (currently 5) and only go 9 hours a week (during the school year).
And yet she does.

And our gym is not a gym that worries, about JO, Xcel, IGC. Their philosphy is gymnastics is gymnastics, a BHS is a BHS. Do I love everything about our gym? No. But I have a happy, successful gymmie who in most places would of been run out of the gymnastics or be held back developementally because should couldn't fulfill the commitment "JO" takes.

And yes my daughters learning curve is longer then most. But really we are good with it, her coaches are good with it.

And the longer my kid is in this sport, the more I bristle and the phrase "she is (will be) behind. Blocks, injuries, time. Its all different for everyone.

There is no one way, one progression, one curve.

They are not "behind" they are working on their own growth curve.

Sorry, off my soapbox for now.

It is very much region and gym dependent.

We are a low hour gym. I have been repeatedly told it is simply not possible for my daughter to be a level whatever (currently 5) and only go 9 hours a week (during the school year).
And yet she does.

And our gym is not a gym that worries, about JO, Xcel, IGC. Their philosphy is gymnastics is gymnastics, a BHS is a BHS. Do I love everything about our gym? No. But I have a happy, successful gymmie who in most places would of been run out of the gymnastics or be held back developementally because should couldn't fulfill the commitment "JO" takes.

And yes my daughters learning curve is longer then most. But really we are good with it, her coaches are good with it.

And the longer my kid is in this sport, the more I bristle and the phrase "she is (will be) behind. Blocks, injuries, time. Its all different for everyone.

There is no one way, one progression, one curve.

They are not "behind" they are working on their own growth curve.

Sorry, off my soapbox for now.

Oh, I appreciate your perspective! It sounds like you've found a very good place for your daughter.

It does vary from gym to gym. It is a matter of the gym's philosophy. Some gyms are willing to accept L3 that are 12 years old and others would immediately pigeon hole those gymnasts to Xcel (even if it turned out that they could progress quickly from L3 to L4 to L5 and then right to L7 in a matter of a year).

When someone says "she will be behind" they may mean a number of different things:
  • She will be behind where she needs to be to compete level XYZ this season
  • She will be behind based on her rate of progress so far
  • She will be behind in achieving her goals (the elite goal that shall not be mentionned)
  • She will be too old to be accepted at the gyms nearby
  • etc.
For sure each gymnast has her own path but every gymnast at some point might find herself "behind" where she wanted to be due to injury, fears, growth, etc.

OP: I agree with those who say to move her to the new gym as soon as the new gym's compulsory season is over. Gyms start training skills for the next level as soon as the last meet is over so the sooner you can get her started, the better chance she will have to be ready for L3 when they make the level decisions. Moving gyms isn't giving up - we have made a move in the middle of the competitive season that ended up being THE BEST thing for my gymmie.

When someone says "she will be behind" they may mean a number of different things:
  • She will be behind where she needs to be to compete level XYZ this season
  • She will be behind based on her rate of progress so far
  • She will be behind in achieving her goals (the elite goal that shall not be mentionned)
  • She will be too old to be accepted at the gyms nearby
  • etc.
For sure each gymnast has her own path but every gymnast at some point might find herself "behind" where she wanted to be due to injury, fears, growth, etc.

Yes yes yes, I get it.

And I am not a fan. Words matter. Behind, has a negative association and there is no need for it. Its relative. Life, gymnastics doesn't have a straight line. It has twists, turns, changes in conditions. Sometimes you have to slow down, sometimes speed up, some times take a rest. If something changes, much like a GPS, we recalculate, adjust.

To say a kid recovering from lets just say an injury is behind, is disheartening and in no way positive.

To say a kid is behind because they didn't get their kip, BHS, giant, flyaway as quick as "Little Suzy" is really a rather crummy way to frame it.

To say a kid is behind because they only go x hours instead of y is just not true. Going y hours is one curve, going x is a different curve. If it takes say 100 hours to get a skill. The kid who goes less hours is not behind. Her curve is different. It will take more days/months to get x skill not necessarily more training hours. Its perspective.

My daughter has had behind thrown at her a bunch. I finally had to tell everyone to knock it off, yep coaches too. She is not behind, she is where she is and she is fine.

I do not care how long it takes her to get a skill as long as she works at it. I do not care what level she competes in a given season. If she is working hard and happy where she is at she is fine. We are lucky the gym where she is at trains them well and without outrageous hours. Should that change so will we. She gets to whatever level she gets to.

Just one Moms opinion......................

Yes yes yes, I get it.

And I am not a fan. Words matter. Behind, has a negative association and there is no need for it. Its relative. Life, gymnastics doesn't have a straight line. It has twists, turns, changes in conditions. Sometimes you have to slow down, sometimes speed up, some times take a rest. If something changes, much like a GPS, we recalculate, adjust.

To say a kid recovering from lets just say an injury is behind, is disheartening and in no way positive.

To say a kid is behind because they didn't get their kip, BHS, giant, flyaway as quick as "Little Suzy" is really a rather crummy way to frame it.

To say a kid is behind because they only go x hours instead of y is just not true. Going y hours is one curve, going x is a different curve. If it takes say 100 hours to get a skill. The kid who goes less hours is not behind. Her curve is different. It will take more days/months to get x skill not necessarily more training hours. Its perspective.

My daughter has had behind thrown at her a bunch. I finally had to tell everyone to knock it off, yep coaches too. She is not behind, she is where she is and she is fine.

I do not care how long it takes her to get a skill as long as she works at it. I do not care what level she competes in a given season. If she is working hard and happy where she is at she is fine. We are lucky the gym where she is at trains them well and without outrageous hours. Should that change so will we. She gets to whatever level she gets to.

Just one Moms opinion......................
The conversation regarding the OP consisted of a desire for more hours, more training. The OP was seeking opinions. My post was a bit brass tacks just to point out a window of opportunity that might be available to the OP to satisfy their objectives, her trajectory, her curve. I don't think people are being negative. Nor minimizing or demeaning the trajectory of any child. I'm not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back