Parents Travel Meet for young level 3?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

alsmom

Proud Parent
DDs gym has one travel meet per year. It is mandatory for levels 4-10, but is optional for level 3, which is what my dd will be competing. This year the gym picked a meet that is clear across the country. My husband really wants to take dd. I feel like we should save our pennies for next year, when we won't have a choice in the matter!! Are there pros to competing in this type of meet? As a point of reference, if dd goes she will turn 6 and a half while there...

I'd go if you would have spent that $ on a family vacation and can make this trip double as that in a way. DD does not remember the details of trips we took at 6 yrs old (and she's just turning 9). Your daughter has lots of years to experience travel meets and meets in general.

At the compulsory level I see no benefit to travel meets that far away- other than just lots of fun:). If money and time is not an issue, it could be a fun experience, otherwise I would save your money.

Cross country - yikes! I tend to agree with your opinion. We drove a day to our first travel meet @ old lvl 4 - LL had just turned 6. While her dad & I enjoyed it, I don't think she has a strong memory of the event & I'm not sure how much she got out of it. It could have even been a little overwhelming. Flash forward to the next season just turning 7 - it was an amazing experience that she truly appreciated - being at a larger meet, hotel, other state clubs participating. She understood more of the "big picture". It's a memory she'll never forget...

I love travel meets and think that they are a great way to make the team really feel like a team.

That being said... I'd have to want to go to where ever the meet is if it was that far. Like, I'd totally do somewhere in Colorado; but I can't really say I'd do somewhere in Kansas...

D did his first travel meet at 7. Not across country, but vegas LOL. He has such fun memories of it.

We did it then because we had no idea how long he might stay in gymnastics and wanted him to have the experience. We have never regretted it.

As a parent, my philosophy on travel meets is that they are for the gymnasts to experience competing against top gymnasts from all over, as well as team building experience.

At 6 years and in the first year competing, it's not likely that a gymmie is going to get a lot out of the experience. Probably why participation is optional. Also, keep in mind, the venue is likely to be much larger than your DD is used to, and may be overly intimidating to a 6 year old in her first year.

Whatever you and your husband decide, good luck! My DDs do love travel meets - I do, too!

We didn't even compete until Lvl 5. So as far as gymnastics go, I'd say you wouldn't be missing out. Other than that, it's up to you if you want to. Sounds like it might be a fun daddy/daughter trip.

I would not travel cross country for a level 3 meet. She will have plenty of fun meets closer to home. If you want to take a vacation choose a spot as a family and go have fun.

It seems a little crazy to me to take a L3 (or even L4) across the country for a meet. However, we probably would have done it with DD if it was offered. I think the larger travel meets are good for optionals to see the national competition, and they're definitely great team building activities.

Then there's the other family dynamics and additional expense to consider. DS would have been very disappointed if he wasn't included in a travel meet (he likes the travel meets we do in the car -- NY, PA, NC, VA Beach, etc.).

I wouldn't do it for the gymnastics aspect. If your dd stays in the sport, that will be a lot of travel meets since they are required for 4 and up. But if it was somewhere you wanted to go, or if the whole team is going and you want to go then I would consider it. Both gyms we have been to haven't required plane trip meets until optionals. But we do have closer very large meets we go to.

If most of her teammates are going and you can easily afford it, then I'd go. If it's a stretch financially, then I wouldn't. HOWEVER, since your husband really wants to do, I'd go, simply because he wants to.

Our only travel meet each year is Nationals... and you have to qualify to compete at Nationals. Older gymmie has attended 2x and younger got her first taste of the competition this past June.

I am with others... if you can easily afford it, go. If not, stay home.

Our first year at Nationals, older gymmie understood that even placing was highly unlikely since only 1/9 of all gymnasts competing would place and she wasn't the highest placing even in our district. Still, when it came to the awards ceremony, she got upset that she didn't get any. (she was 9).

Going into this most recent Nationals, we made sure both girls were aware that they probably wouldn't place (younger gymmie BARELY qualified), but it wasn't about placing. It was about the experience. Seeing all the gymnasts and having fun. I also told younger gymmie that I would make her paper ribbons for whatever places she did get :)
Older gymmie did well and got a personal best on bars and was only 2 spots out of placing - she was so proud of how she did that she wasn't upset. Younger gymmie placed 26th on one event and 30th on the rest and the all around (out of 30). She was excited all through awards, even though she didn't place because of all the other little bouncing girls in the room :) When we got home, she decided that 26th place should be baby pink and 30th should be lavender... because she likes purple better. She is so proud of her ribbons that they are in the shadowbox with all of her real ribbons.

I was so excited for my DDs first travel meet but looking back, it had no real impact on her gymnastics thereafter. Its up to you. If finances allow and you just want to do it for the fun of it, go for it. If you are doing it because it will help her gymnastics down the road, but don't really have the means or desire to do the travel meet at this stage, then I'd save it for later.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back