Coaches trying to improve my L5 vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It looks like you're hitting the board correctly, so maybe it's your heel drive. You need to KICK your heels up over your head, almost like a cast on bars! If you can do a front layout on the tumbltrak, that would help. You want to try to do a front layout OVER the vault. If you can think that way, it will really help you vault. Think of it more as flipping over the vault and just barely touching your hands for a moment rather than vaulting to your hands and then off. Hope that makes sense. As for things you can do at home, just keep getting stronger, especially in your shoulders (handstands against the wall with shoulder shrugs would be great). You can also do leg lifts - lay on your stomach and just lift your heels/shins off the floor. You can lay on your stomach on the arm of your couch or on your bed with your legs hanging off and practice kicking your heels up over your head. Level 5 is tough when you're trying to get that vault but you will get stronger and it will improve!

At first glance, the table looks like it's way down by your waist. I would venture to say that's too low. It also looks like you may be slowing down your run at the end. Your last 3 steps are the most important. It's hard to see but it also looks like your hurdle is too high. The hurdle should be low and fast. If you go too high, you just lost your entire run.
How far away is that springboard? The angle makes it look like it's way back at about 2.5 to 3 feet. That might be pushing it as far as distance goes. I'd try somewhere between 2 and 2.5 feet from the front of the board to the table and see how that feels.
I would venture to say that your goal is to vault something like this young lady:
Front handspring Vault - YouTube

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back