Unique Skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've heard a lot about unique skills in gymnastics. Personally, I prefer them, but a couple questions come to mind.

Are they really worth it?

Don't get me wrong, unique skills such as a shushonova on beam are really fun to do, and they make you stand out from the crowd. But it seems like it might be harder for a coach to teach them.

Also, since a judge wouldn't see them as often, does that leave the chance that they would judge them differently than they would if the skill was common?

If there are any other things you'd like to point out about unique skills (ei: cool examples, bad experiences, good experiences, etc.) I'd love to hear it!

Mostly, I'm just curious :p

Thanks!

My dd does a unique skill on floor, it's her "signature move", she's being doing it ever since she became an optional. It's not a big value or anything, but it's different and does set her apart from everyone else. She does a BWO directly into a split. It's eye catching but doesn't help the value of her routine, but does add to the artistry. I have yet to see anyone do it the way she does.

Here's her floor routine: 2012 Level 9 Easterns Floor - YouTube - it's at about the 44th second.

My Dd does something different in her Bar routine. I am not sure how unique it is for the rest of the country but I have never seen anyone else where we live do it.

Instead of doing the clear hip Hs, giant, giant she does Giant, Clear hip HS, Giant (she basically sandwiches the Clear hip HS between her giants). She did this both for level 7 and level 8.

It doesn't add anything score wise, it was just a different twist to the standard L7 bar routine and it worked well so she did it again in L8.

I do a skill that isn't really a skill. It's sort of a roll forward to chest stand, then I duck my head and do a shoulder roll out. I made it up, and it doesn't look great ​but it is sort of cool and it fits my music.

I think the most unusual skill I've seen on beam is a full turn that finished completely square and with-out a hint of a wobble or arm flailing.:rolleyes:

Seriously....It was a handstand forward-roll that looked like it would continue into a whip to handstand, but was a whip to a front piked/straddle salto to a sit.:eek: Painful perhaps, but it looked really cool.

Seriously....It was a handstand forward-roll that looked like it would continue into a whip to handstand, but was a whip to a front piked/straddle salto to a sit.:eek: Painful perhaps, but it looked really cool.

WHAAATT?? AWESOME! I must see this done.

I am currently learning a shushonova on beam, and it is surprisingly fun! I like it a lot better than a normal side straddle, and it's worth the same. I don't think I've ever personally seen it in a meet, but I have the go-ahead from my coaches!

Oh c'mon! You mean to say that you can't just set up a video camera and chuck one tommorrow at the gym for me? ;)

I'm afraid I'd end up "chucking" my medical insurance I.D. card across yown to the hospital emergency room. The triage' nurse would just look at me thinking.....I've seen something like this before, but never as bad as this........

I am currently learning a shushonova on beam, and it is surprisingly fun! I like it a lot better than a normal side straddle, and it's worth the same. I don't think I've ever personally seen it in a meet, but I have the go-ahead from my coaches!

Keep your lower core muscles especially tight, or you'll be risking some low back pain....

Keep your lower core muscles especially tight, or you'll be risking some low back pain....

I've really just been throwing it on the high beam (with a soft pad over it of course). Right now, the only danger of back pain I have is the fact that I tend to bounce off the beam onto my back!

Are you sure you're not supposed to do that bounce into a log roll for the "unique" look you.ve been searching for.....:D:D

I just love seeing different skills, instead of the same old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back