USAG Membership

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I feel like an idiot having to ask this question, but if I don't, it will go unanswered so I guess I'll take that risk.
I am not a USAG member, nor am I safety certified. While I know these certifications/memberships are somewhat easy to come by, especially considering the regulations in other countries, I feel bad not having them. When I began coaching I asked my employer if they would be needed, offering to pay for them myself, and he said they would only be required if I was needed to coach on the floor at meets. This opportunity has not presented itself, so I am still without any type of coaching qualifications, at least not on paper. I will be moving within the next few months and seeking employment at another gym, and am afraid my lack of certifications will be a hindrance to my application. Because of this I am ready to bite the bullet and shell out the bucks for these things myself, I just have a few questions.
Is it really worth it? What level of membership would you recommend (professional/introductory/etc.)? Can I register before taking the safety certification test in order to get the member rate? Is there a cost for the background check? And if there is, am I able to use a background check performed for employment (it was done within the last year)? Sorry for all of the questions, but I figured someone here would know. Thanks in advance!

I think as a coach you'd need a pro membership.

They want to do their own background check, it does cost money, and it costs more if you've lived in more than X number of counties, where X is a number I don't remember.

3 prongs, molly. pro membership, safety cert and background check. you can apply for the pro membership online and take the safety cert online at the same time. when you're finished, then you will apply for the background check. your pro membership and safety exam will be held pending until that time that your background check receives a "green light". safety cert is good for 4 years. pro membership is good for 1 year. and background check is required every 2 years. post any other questions you might have.:)

Good Luck Coachmolly. I got mine in November 2010. It was as Dunno said (but he knows all so that is expected !!). I did have to pay for 2 background checks (I think $20 or $25ea) because I had lived in more than 2 counties in the last 7 years.

I think if you are coaching a team and need to be on the competition floor is the only reason to have the USAG membership- though you could get something out of the safety course- its always a good refresher for me! I think if you are planning on coaching rec classes, membership wouldn't sway an employer as much as a good resume, great recommendations and a sunny disposition and professional attitude when being interviewed. Your new boss or gym's booster club might just pay for everything- its a big chunk of change to put out by yourself. It can't hurt, I just dont know if its necessary, it all depends on what you plan on coaching.

Thanks so much for all of the feedback, I really appreciate it!
As far as rec vs. competitive coaching, I have coached compulsory level girls in the past and would ideally like to do that in the future. The number of girls on the team is WAY down at the gym where I am currently coaching (3 girls levels 4-6), so I am only coaching rec presently, but worked with compulsories for the past 2 years. So basically, when applying at a new gym I would like to be looked at for a job coaching levels 4-6. You make a good point that the future employer might pay for all of that which would be ideal, I just don't want to risk not getting a job doing something I love because of a missing certification or something.
The main thing is that I feel safety certification would be a good thing to have, it's just cheaper with a USAG membership and I figured having that wouldn't hurt in the long run.

currently, you must have all 3 requirements to step foot on the floor of a USAG sanctioned event. these are not just competitions but training camps, lectures and such. USAG Club Membership requirements now have the owner guarantee that at least 1 coach in the program have all/complete credentials. i think we will soon see a day in the not to distant future where the liability carriers will require ALL coaches working in a gym instructing a certain level of gymnastics to have professional credentials. i also agree with gymcoach34 that it is vital to an employer that you have a sunny disposition, etc; and that you also have a genuine love for children. and i don't know of any club owner that DOESN'T pay those costs for one/all of their coaches.

and thank you gymmomntc2e6 for the kind words. the current background check goes back 10 years. therefore, if you have moved around (1 of the behavior patterns for pedophiles) several times and more than 1 address continues backwards they will unfortunately additionally charge you for each state/county to research the proper info they are looking for to "green light" a coach. 1 of the flaws in the current system is that a coach can lie about where they have lived. case in point is (no names) the coach at former gym Bieger's. he lied about where he had lived although they were bonified addresses of people he knew. he had a sordid past in Illinois and Texas. he fell thru the cracks but thankfully was recently caught and stopped in the state of florida and should be going to prison soon.

finally, most professions have some sort of continuing education program. it certainly doesn't hurt to show that you are proactive in our industry and care about the education programs that exist. it's a good thing and employers are willing to pay for that. again, any other questions just post them up. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some club owners who dont pay for that stuff!! Its bogus, I think! I also know the guy dunno was talking about-used 2 work w him and he slipped through so many cracks!- did a jig when I found out he was finally found out for who he truly is. If you want to work w teams, it might be worth it and show initiave to have the professional membership, background, safefty, etc if you can afford it. If you were an outstanding candidate for the position (which you probably are bc you care enough to write here to ask the question), not having the correct memebrships would not stop me from hiring you. What about you dunno, and any other managers, club owners out there?

I haven't paid for my own. If I were thinking about it I might renew my membership if I were between jobs but I wouldn't pay for my background check. That's just me.

Good to hear that not having these things wouldn't be too detrimental, at least from the perspective some of you are coming from. The gym where I am currently employed will only pay for memberships, safety cert, etc. if it is absolutely necessary, meaning you are absolutely needed to take kids to meets and there is no one else already certified to do it. I think that's a little ridiculous, but what can I do? Quite a few of the coaches are merely "warm bodies" who don't know much about gymnastics, how to spot safely, basic gym safety, etc. and I think it would really improve the quality of instruction available at the gym if those things were encouraged, but that's not really my place so I just keep my mouth shut and do my job to the best of my ability. Thank goodness for the CB members available to answer all of my questions and help put some of my worries to rest!

i have both coaching in my gym. i pay for their credentials if they want them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back