Parents Vacation?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

poodlemomma

Proud Parent
When you go on vacation, is it a true vacation and no gym time? Or do you look for another gym so that your child can stay in shape during time away?

We are going to Florida in the spring. So I am trying to plan ahead. I am leaning heavily towards no gym time. Just wondering what others do and your reasons why you would continue to train while on vacation. Thanks

It depends on our competition schedule. If it's during competition time then we will find a gym. If competition season just ended then just vacation time.

No gym. I believe a break is good for the body. However you said your vacation will be in the spring which means she may still have big meets coming. The only way I would consider it is if my child was an optional and still had states and regionals to compete. Otherwise take a well needed break for the mind, body and family.

We go to the same place every year for summer vacation, and part of the vacation is working out in the gym there. My two gymnasts now have some good friends on the team and know and really like the coaches.

Every other year or so, we take a vacation over winter break to a place where, "sorry, there are no gyms here! Go do your handstands on the beach!" DS usually brings his parallettes as comfort objects.

No gym time during vacation. That's why it's a vacation for us all. Of course, we've been lucky the gym has been closed the week of our vacation every year, so we don't have to deal with DD being upset she's missing.

Honestly, taking time off is good for them, IMO.

Generally no gym on vacation. We did go to a family wedding last year and they went to a practice there; but that was because it was owned by someone in our family and it was fun for our kids to practice there.

Reactions: sce
No gym on vacation for us either, but we don't take month-long vacations either.

Dd did take a picture doing a leap in front of each of the iconic elements in each of the 4 parks in Disney World. That's about the extent of gymnastics on vacation.

The answer really depends what level the gymnast is and how serious things are. If we are talking about a high optional level athlete, I would never plan a vacation during the season so this question should never come up. Make the travel meets into little short vacations. If we are talking about compulsory gymnasts, go for it and no gym while on vacation.

Good Luck

Our coach gives a vacation conditioning list. Ideally to be done as many days as they'd normally have practice. other than that, no extra workouts. Though I think my kids would love to try out gyms in different parts of the country.

Please no one tell my kids that there could be an option of visiting another gym when on holiday!!!

Due to the time of year here - Christmas being in the summer holidays - they do tend to have a longer break than they should (gym closed for a few weeks then we tend to go away a little longer due to cost) but never thought of finding a gym to attend.

When you go on vacation, is it a true vacation and no gym time? Or do you look for another gym so that your child can stay in shape during time away?

We are going to Florida in the spring. So I am trying to plan ahead. I am leaning heavily towards no gym time. Just wondering what others do and your reasons why you would continue to train while on vacation. Thanks

But in all seriousness, I would NOT interrupt my one week vacation to find a gym for my 10 year old. She's not going to fall out of shape in a week, not given how active she naturally is. I also want vacation to be about us spending uninterrupted time together and getting away from the routine of our normal life.

She needs a break. I don't want her to start hating that which she loves so even though she hems and haws sometimes, she has to have down time. She gets a minimum of two week off during the year and usually it's three weeks. Not all at once but spaced: spring break, 4th of July week, fall break. Then modified week at Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year.

I don't think you get it from your child's point of view. I don't recommend that they go to another gym to stay in shape, I recommend it because they love it, and it enhances their vacation! I have kids stop by all the time while on vacation, and they have a blast. Going to other gyms also usually makes my girls and their parents appreciate me, my staff, and facility even more! Ask if your child would think that is fun, if yes, do it. If not, go look at more of the worlds largest rubber band balls! ;)

Thanks all. I hadn't really thought we needed to do gym time while on vacation and then I saw it mentioned somewhere. We will be gone over her spring break from school. I believe her new gym takes time off at that time. So, it should be a good down time for all of us.

No gym here! It's a break for body and mind- no worrying about training, new skill x, competition y, allows any niggles to heal and rest. As a gymnast I always felt a million times better after an enforced break.

I wouldn't plan a holiday near a big competition anyway, so would never have a reason to be in the gym.

Our 10th competitive season and have never attended any practices at another gym during vacation. Level 10 DD does do some conditioning/cardio 3-4 times during the week but that's the most either girl has ever done.

If you're gone for a week, then don't worry about it. If you're taking a vacation more than 3 weeks, then find a gym for her. And I definitely wouldn't do a weeks vacation during meet season!

I don't think you get it from your child's point of view. I don't recommend that they go to another gym to stay in shape, I recommend it because they love it, and it enhances their vacation! I have kids stop by all the time while on vacation, and they have a blast. Going to other gyms also usually makes my girls and their parents appreciate me, my staff, and facility even more! Ask if your child would think that is fun, if yes, do it. If not, go look at more of the worlds largest rubber band balls!

We have done it twice. Both time because it was a full week off, and coming back to the last meet of the season. (one time was a 1 hour private, and 1 time was 3 hours practicing with their team).
For DD it's fun and kind of exciting (not many of her teammates can say they had a private lesson in Hawaii...). For me, I like being able to get some input from someone else's eyes. It's not like you can run to the gym down the road and ask a coach to evaluate your daughter.

We do not do any formal training while on vacation; either at another gym or on their own. That said, though:
  1. We never take vacation during season. If at all possible, we take vacation right after season has ended - like in June (optionals) - then they can come back and start off season training
  2. We take active vacations; lots of swimming, walking, hiking, biking or whatever
  3. During season, the away meets serve as mini-vacations; our whole family goes together

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back