WAG Vault Twisting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

em-gymnast

Gymnast
I am training Level 10, so I need to learn twisting Yurchenko vaults. However, our gym does not have a vault runway and table into a pit, so I'd be trying my first twisting onto a porta-pit/resi mat. Is this okay? Also, what drills can I do to prepare myself?

Make it as low as possible and take it easy. Don't just chunk a full, haha

Have you done any standing twisting from the table or from a handstand?

I am training Level 10, so I need to learn twisting Yurchenko vaults. However, our gym does not have a vault runway and table into a pit, so I'd be trying my first twisting onto a porta-pit/resi mat. Is this okay? Also, what drills can I do to prepare myself?
L10 and no pit?? How will you be getting up onto the Resi to do your twisting? How and where are you doing your Yurchenko now? And twisting on a Resi is never a good idea. What is your coaches opinion of this?

Here's my full situation:

We had been using a table trainer off of the floor into the pit we have for tumbling, but that was about a year ago. Since the table trainer wasn't high enough, we had to put a 4-inch mat on top of it. This made the table trainer really squishy. It wasn't hard to pop off of, but it was very different from the real table. I had a great yurchenko layout and had started doing halves and fulls, but when we went back to vaulting over the real table it took a couple months to get my layout to the same degree that I had over the table trainer. Now our coach doesn't want us to use the table trainer anymore for that reason, so I've been practicing my layouts onto a resi. And my layouts are good over the table, but when I started twisting into the pit last year my halves weren't great... So we're kind of stuck.

Should I try to get my coach to let me go over the table trainer again? But the thing is, I don't really want to have to relearn my vault come season...

Why not put something (folded panel mats?) under the table trainer to raise the height of it rather than making it squishy on top?

Hi. So I go to em's gym (we're teammates) and what she hasn't explained is that our table trainer has a really curved top so panel mats won't stay on.

XOXO HannahGS

Then why not just move the vault table to where you were putting the trainer (we have "vault movers" so our vault can be moved around)... or put panel mats UNDER the trainer to raise its height.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back