Parents Warning from the coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

curlymomof3

Proud Parent
So I popped in at the end of practice yesterday and was making small talk with Dd's coach about what they plan to do with her in the fall. She wanted to "warn" me that Dd will most likely be competing the new level 5 in the fall and doing backhandsprings on the beam. This is a huge jump since she just competed level 4 last fall. Apparently when Dd's coach did gymnastics back in the day her Dad would watch her practice until she started doing the harder skills and hated seeing her do the beam stuff. She obviously knows me too well because those tricks terrify me too!! I'm going to have to get me a valium prescription for meets, LOL :eek: I don't how you level 10 parents do it!

Hmmmm.....unless this coach knows something we don't, new L5 shouldn't have BHS on beam. Maybe they're talking about what she'll be working on in up training, but current L6 beam routine includes a BWO on beam.

According to the skills posted by USAG, girls competing new level 5 will have the option to do a back walkover, back extension roll, or back handspring on the beam.

^^^^ my dd is sooo totally one of them!! She still hates bwo, but will do bhs all day...the option to do bhs instead of bwo when she was L6 would have been very welcome!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

You would be surprised, I think you will se a lot. We have the option of a back handspring on beam and many girls do it. A lot find it easier than the back walkover if they aren't as flexible

My sister would definitely taken this option if it was offered (15 years ago, lol)! She learned her bhs on beam before her bwo. Flexibility issues.

I'm curious to see how the new levels shake out after a year or two. Right now, BHS seems like an "optionals" level skill, since that what we're used to with it being introduced in current L7. I know many girls find it easier than BWO though (we have a few with flexibility issues on BWO, but they also have fear issues for BHS so they're stuck one way or another!). If it is an option in new L5, will it be required in new L6 (speculatively, of course)? It isn't even 'required' in current L7 as there are a few other 'flight' options that just aren't utilized much do to lack of progression value. BHS is often a 'gatekeeper' skill for L7 (seemingly by coaches, not USAG since there are other options). Hopefully over time, that won't be fully pushed down to L5 and the 'options' are actually utilized.

So I popped in at the end of practice yesterday and was making small talk with Dd's coach about what they plan to do with her in the fall. She wanted to "warn" me that Dd will most likely be competing the new level 5 in the fall and doing backhandsprings on the beam. This is a huge jump since she just competed level 4 last fall. Apparently when Dd's coach did gymnastics back in the day her Dad would watch her practice until she started doing the harder skills and hated seeing her do the beam stuff. She obviously knows me too well because those tricks terrify me too!! I'm going to have to get me a valium prescription for meets, LOL :eek: I don't how you level 10 parents do it!

Won't she have to have a qualifying score for the new level 4 first? Or test out of the current level 5 before the level changes take effect? If I read your post correctly, she's just competed the current level 4. By the way, I totally understand your feeling on the beam! DD has told me that she has been practicing back stepouts on the low beam and I break into a cold sweat. :)

Won't she have to have a qualifying score for the new level 4 first? Or test out of the current level 5 before the level changes take effect? If I read your post correctly, she's just competed the current level 4. By the way, I totally understand your feeling on the beam! DD has told me that she has been practicing back stepouts on the low beam and I break into a cold sweat. :)

Yes, she is going to have her do one meet at new level 4 to test out.

To the OP -

My dd, a Lvl 9 regional qualifier, absolutely hates BWO or BHS on beam. She has recently put in a new series on beam that is a round off, back tuck; she says it is way easier and she has no fear issues with it. She is a very powerful tumbler on floor, so maybe that makes it easier for her to do this Lvl 10 series now. As for how we do it, don't watch training and hold your breath during a meet (its less than a minute and a half, so you don't turn too blue). Oh, and have plenty of ice on hand.

Good Luck

Interesting. I'd be shocked if we saw many of those in L5 though. Time will tell!

We are pushing the BHS hard at our club...it is our "skill of choice" for beam. My daughter will be doing a BHS as she has flexibility issues. 90% of our gymnasts around that level already have a BHS and BWO on beam. We have greatly limited the amount of BWO's that we allow on beam now...it's just too hard on a gymnast with average flexibility and core strength.

Yeah....we have some with back and/or flexibility issues too, so this could be better for them....if you don't have fear issues with "flight" skills on beam. :p

I have a L6 gymmie who hates the BWO on beam but seems to be doing pretty well uptraining the BHS on beam. She has not had a good year at L6 (but not terrible - usually around 34 - 34.5 AA in most meets) and she is looking forward to moving on. I hope she is able to do new L6 in the upcoming year. She really needs a change to get herself out of this funk.

To the OP:

I was that rec parent who sat in the viewing area watching the older girls and swearing on everything holy that I would pull my child as soon as it was time to start backward tumbling on the beam. It TERRIFIED me! The ironic thing is that I'm typing this while watching my child work on connecting a FWO to BHS and not worrying one bit.

The thing that strikes me is that it is important to remember that she didn't go from doing ice scoops to BHS in a week. Her coaches do an amazing job of scaffolding skills so they are prepping them without parents even realizing it! And then viola, we have a skill safely and pretty solidly. It's really all a very cool process.

Right now, I'm freaking about the fact that the time will come eventually where she will be doing release moves on the bars. That's what is scary to me now! LOL

Wow really ???

My DD just started doing BWO on the beam and I'm sure she can't even imagine thinking that the BHS will be easier lolol I will tell that some gymnasts think that... I can't wait to see her reaction :))

^^^^ my dd is sooo totally one of them!! She still hates bwo, but will do bhs all day...the option to do bhs instead of bwo when she was L6 would have been very welcome!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

OP -- we don't get in our gym often lol but back last fall we had a little session when the coaches had all the parents come in and the kids "showed" off all their skills.

Well, the more skilled girls (my dd is new level 4) were doing BHS on the beam and things like that... I absolutely LOVED watching them! The concentration and seeing them overcome the fear you could see they had to do these skills but then the JOY they had when they stuck it! And I must say, as a mom I was so PROUD for these girls who I didn't even know. I could see how hard they were working, one girl was literally in tears trying to connect these two skills but she was NOT willing to give up. It was amazing to watch!

These are the reasons I am loving the sport of gymnastics !!!

^^^ again, gymnastics is the most wonderful gift that you can give to your children. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back