Parents Well, I think we are done.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Unfortunatly there are many gyms out there looking only for the cream of the crop. Thank God there are more than one gym out there with different criteria. You said too your DD is recovering from injuries and maybe until that heals she might not do well at a tryout. You might just need to give her some time to heal.

You got some great info here and it sounds to me like the Xcell/PrepOp program might be the road to go if she is still wanting to do gymnastics and compete. Requires less time commitment but still offers that competition the girls love.

Where she is trying to recover from a back injury this may be the ideal choice. Once she has recovered maybe the gym you find with the xcel option might have her go to JO team or she may find that the Xcel option is just what she was looking for

Either way it can't hurt to try it out.

She may need some time to get used to the idea, but WAG is a very selective gymsport, she can use her skills in many other area's. Cheerleading, power tumbling, trampoline, sports acrobatics, circus skills, dance, martial arts.

Why not take her to see a sports acro comp, or a cheer comp or a tramp comp and see what her reaction is.

I am in Region 5 as well and all of the states in Region 5 follow the Region 5 rules. I know at least in my state it is a very popular program! We now have a separate state meet just for xcel because it got too big to pair with another level. I would recommend checking meet results to see what gyms participate.

Just a word of warning...X-Cel/Prep-op rules/guidelines/criteria are very different state to state and gym to gym. Here, it is known as prep-op and they compete at meets with the lower USAG levels (3 and 4 usually).

This isn't true any more. USAG XCel has rules, guidelines, skills required, and score requirements. It is a good way to work on missing skills for the next level while being able to compete a modified optional program.

For the OP--I am so sad for your dd. Our gym tries to find a level for every gymnast that tries out, and even the ones that are weak at try-outs are very good by the time season starts--some surprisingly good! If she really wants to compete, and the option exists to look at another gym, then call around and see what you can find for her. I'm sure you will find a compassionate gym out there for her. Our gym has gymnasts of all shapes and sizes, and they are good (even the tall ones!). We have one girls who is at least 5'8" and she has 2 state titles.

This isn't true any more. USAG XCel has rules, guidelines, skills required, and score requirements. It is a good way to work on missing skills for the next level while being able to compete a modified optional program.

I know it doesn't apply to the original poster, because in region 5, I have learned that everything is standardized. Here, our prep-op is known as prep-op, not XCel, and the levels are known as rookie, novice, intermediate, advanced and superior. It is not standardized across the U.S. yet.

I know it doesn't apply to the original poster, because in region 5, I have learned that everything is standardized. Here, our prep-op is known as prep-op, not XCel, and the levels are known as rookie, novice, intermediate, advanced and superior. It is not standardized across the U.S. yet.

If the gym participates in the Xcel Prep-Op program run by USAG, I believe it is now standardized across the country. However, many gyms have prep-op programs that compete through other national or local leagues, and those are different depending on where you go. Our gym now has both an Xcel program through USAG AND a rec prep-op team that only competes a few local meets. The Xcel program (at our gym) is more competitive and requires more hours than the rec/local team, but not as many as the JO program. Again, you'd have to speak to the gym and find out - it seems to be a little different everywhere.

If the gym participates in the Xcel Prep-Op program run by USAG, I believe it is now standardized across the country. However, many gyms have prep-op programs that compete through other national or local leagues, and those are different depending on where you go. Our gym now has both an Xcel program through USAG AND a rec prep-op team that only competes a few local meets. The Xcel program (at our gym) is more competitive and requires more hours than the rec/local team, but not as many as the JO program. Again, you'd have to speak to the gym and find out - it seems to be a little different everywhere.

Our prep-op program is run by USAG, and it's still just called prep-op, not XCel (at least not yet).

I believe that the new standardized requirements for xcell are required to start in August. Our state released something last year saying they were going to start using the new requirements this year, but it didn't happen... Not sure if the requirements weren't finalized in time to implement the changes or what, but I assume that, come August we will go from a prep-op state to xcell. I think it will be nice because it will give those girls an opportunity to compete at meets out of their region.

I am so sorry your daughter is having such a negative experience with gymnastics. When I read your post it reminded me of a story.

We used to be on the team at a very competitive gym. This gym would regularly turn girls away who were over 9 for level 4 because they were "too old", "too big", etc, etc. One of my daughter's friends from school came to the gym to try out, unfortunately for her, she started gymnastics "late", was tall and on the larger side (not fat, just not petite) . Of course, she was turned away. A few doors down from the competitive gym, is another gym (less competitive and smaller). This other gym almost always accepts the girls who are turned away from the first gym. This little girl went to the gym next door, competed level 4 and became a STATE CHAMPION!!!! Ha! LOL! That was awesome!!

If your daughter truly loves the sport, keep trying to find the right fit, I am sure it's out there for her. Good luck!

I don't know why she keeps getting "cut" from multiple gyms but I would not put her through this again, regardless of how much she loves it...at some point her self esteem is going to be affected so I would move on to other endeavors..

There is a AAU prep-op that is not standard lime USAG Xcel (which began last year cause my younger daughter had to switch to level 5 because she was prep 2, but then USAG regulated it and sge didnt meet the requirements for platinim even thoigh ahe had the skills).

Anyway, if your daughter still loves it and wants to try one more time, and if another gym is an option, call around first and see if they have alternatives to level 5 like XCel gold or platinum, or Prep 2 or 3 or even some other program. Don't do any try-outs, just an evaluation for team placement. Try-outs would be too stressful for her.

I hope she can find a way to pursue her passion. I hope you can come back and give us good news. There is a place for her if she wants it bad enough. :)

I hope things work out for your daughter and I agree with the others to look into prep/ y program. Having had a daughter go through injuries and growth spurts and eventually leave the sport I feel for you. I think it is terrible that her original coaches and team would not work with her through her injuries if she really wanted to continue. My daughter does a lot of other things now all though she misses gymnastics still but enjoys other things. Dance is great because they can do shows and compete also cheer. Maybe let your daughter try other things and she could still do a recreational tumbling or gymnastics class a lot of the girls who leave the team in daughter old gym do this and it is fun for them because they do not have the same pressure that they had on the team. Plus if she heals and improves she might get invited on the team.

Thanks for all of the ideas, there are so many of them and I appreciate it! She did a trial class for sports acro last night, not sure how much she really liked it though. She said during her first ROBHSBT tumbling pass since her back injury, her back cracked and she feels so much better! She said her back didn't hurt and it isn't stiff anymore.

I am still looking around and talking to people. I don't know where this path will lead us but I will keep you posted.

That is terrible that they did this to your dd she must have the talent otherwise she would not have been able to do those skills in the first place . You don't lose talent it would still be there. Sounds like the coaches are not supportive after her injury. This is why we decided to go with sports acro as they take everybody big girls little girls not as political as wag.

*update, and brag alert*

We finally found a gym - a park district gym that would take her back in October. Her practice schedule (number of hours) was cut in half compared to the time she was spending in the gym per week at her old gym. They moved her back to Level 5. Today we did a meet in Chicago that is fairly competitive. I realize she is in an older age group (she just turned 12) but she was able to pull out a 9.25 on floor, 8.1 on vault, 8.65 on bars and 8.95 on beam.

I can't believe she is still doing gymnastics after she was cut from so many teams. She took a 3rd in AA and missed first by .26 (in her age group). She qualified for state and qualified out of L5.

Her current gym took a chance on her and her hard work paid off. She is so happy and filled with pride.

What a fighting spirit your daughter has! The lessons learned through this sport will last her whole life. Congratulations to her for all she has already gained.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back