WAG what are walkovers good for?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey guys,
I am sorry that this is my second post in a row but this question popped into my head this morning.
I am not competing in the JO Code (I want to switch, though).
I am Xcel but I have all level 7 skills. I have started gymnastics quite late and was never introduced into walkovers.

I taught myself a front walkover. my shoulders are very flexible and I can push them passed vertical. my back is not so flexible but I can touch my head with my feet like in a sheep jump, but that's it. I never really stretch my back but I do stretch my shoulders.

I have never tried a back walkover. I tried a kickover a few times though and could make it with one leg bent. my front walkover is not really good. I think walkovers do only look good with a very flexible back, anyways. I do a backhand spring on beam for my acro.

I got some very useful information while searching this forum, already, but here is my question:

As I love to have all my skills neatly, because I think nothing looks better than well executed skills and I want to have all the basics and not just flip around crazily, I was wondering if I should really consider working on walkovers because they are kind of basics in gymnastics?!

I am pretty sure I would get them rather quickly, but I am already past puberty and I am doing gymnastics just for fun! I don't see myself going any further than level 7/8, too.
I want to keep my gymnastic skills as long as possible and so I can't decide whether I should learn back walkovers and kickovers with straight legs, stretch my back and do them on a regular basis or not?

What are they good for?

Well, there are many uses, but I will go with the one most useful to you. In a level 7 beam routine, the flight must have a connection of 2 or more skills. Most choose a BWO BHS, because it includes a needed B in the routine, and it has the connection. Of course there are other options like a BHS BHS, but a BWO BHS is your best bet.

In level 7 beam the flight doesn't have to be connected, it can be done separately. I'm not positive as DD hasn't competed 7 yet, but I think a cartwheel-cartwheel could fulfill the comnection requirement.

If you can't get the walkover in good shape, I think you can also fulfill the acro series by doing a handstand BHS for L7. You just need to be able to hold the handstand long enough and make the connection.

If you can't get the walkover in good shape, I think you can also fulfill the acro series by doing a handstand BHS for L7. You just need to be able to hold the handstand long enough and make the connection.
Yes, you would have to hold a 2 second handstand... or a cartwheel-backhandspring would work... etc, etc.

Back walkovers are good for hurting backs- that is why they should be limited, especially if you don't have a very flexible back.

Yes, you would have to hold a 2 second handstand... or a cartwheel-backhandspring would work... etc, etc.

Back walkovers are good for hurting backs- that is why they should be limited, especially if you don't have a very flexible back.

Thanks! I don't need it for my beam, I do other stuff anyways.
I also don't need it for floor!
I was just asking if I should learn it because it is a basic skill in gymnastics an I want to be a good gymnast!
But I don't need it at all.

Thanks! I don't need it for my beam, I do other stuff anyways.
I also don't need it for floor!
I was just asking if I should learn it because it is a basic skill in gymnastics an I want to be a good gymnast!
But I don't need it at all.
IMHO, I wouldn't worry about learning a BWO. You will run more risk of hurting your back (especially given that you are not very flexible in the back). The BWO is a stepping stone skill and you already have the skill it leads to, so no worries.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back