What do coaches look for in tryouts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mndl

Proud Parent
At DD's gym the other day I noticed a poster for preteam and team tryout- as you have to be 4yrs old to tryout, it doesn't affect us this year(DD is 3 1/2) but it did make me wonder:what skills do most coaches look for in the younger girls-say 4-5yr olds? I'm just curious, for it seems, to a newbie like me, that the most advanced skills I've seen in the preschool classes is a cartwheel and a (very) quick handstand hold. So I am guessing it must be something more than just "skills" at this age? Maybe more strength and flexibility? Just wondering.

When my then-5-year-old DD ran up to me after practice to tell me that she had been chosen to move up to Gymstars (pre-team) she said, "And I know why, Mommy! Look!" and she slid down all the way to the ground in a split. My jaw hit the floor. I had no idea she could do that! I certainly never could! She had very few "skills" at that point... forward and backward rolls and not much else that I can recall. So I'm guessing that strength and flexibility are the big things they look for, but also basic behavior stuff too. I've seen our coaches not move a girl up to team because she was frequently running around when she was supposed to be waiting her turn or because she found something to cry about at every practice, or whatever. I've even seen girls not make the cut because they had a parent who was driving the coaches crazy! On one hand, you think that's not fair to the kid. On the other, if the parent is already making the coaches or other parents uncomfortable in the course of a 45 minute rec class, you can't blame the coaches for not wanting to deal with them multiple practices per week, plus meetings, plus meets...

One other comment about what teams look for... I will say that the local private team seems to have a "look" that they're going for. They have very few taller girls on their USAG team, or plumper girls, or "older" girls (very few upper elementary at the compulary levels, etc.). I think they tend to steer the girls who don't fit their "ideal gymnast" mold into the rec or prep op type classes, which I think is unfortunate. Not that there is anything wrong with being a rec or prep op gymnast, but I don't think it does the girls or the gym any favors by weeding out the gymnasts that don't "fit" from their USAG team.

Wait... what was your question again? :p (sorry for the OT rant)

Programs vary widely from gym to gym. Best thing to do would be ask--her current instructor should have an idea or point you to someone that does.

Dunno you are getting very cryptic these days! I have been reading this board for a long time and I can't work out what you are saying half the time. Smoke and mirrors about the testing or about the usag 'look'?

They are probably not looking for skills more than a cartwheel or a handstand but a natural talents. Good strength, good flexibility, coordination, courage, determination, teachability, body shape and size etc.

Yes I agree, for preteam and level 4 they definitely look for strength and flexibility as well as the possibility of doing basic skills. I mean if they just have no coordination for even a handstand or cartwheel my gym will not usually choose them even if they have strength and flexibility.

I also agree on the look. Only young girls are invited to the USAG team if they are starting on level 4. It's kind of like a fact, if you start gymnastics late no matter how good your level 4 skills may look you will not be invited to team unless you personally express major interest and talk to the team coach personally and sometimes they may let you.
But we also have a Rec. Team that invites all girls that have team level skills. So older girls often compete on that.

But I remember when I was about 12 or 13 I had all my level 4 skills and consistently won 1st at the AAU (rec. team) competitions. I was still not invited to team due to the fact I was older.

Kind of frustrating but thats the way it is at my gym. Although with having the Rec. Team it doesn't really matter quite as much.

At DD's 1st gym they were very clear what they were looking for- kids age 7 and under who are strong and fast, fearless, and learned new skills quickly and made corrections the 1st time they were given (good body awareness). Girls HAD to have an unassisted pullover before making preteam- that was the gatekeeper at her old gym. Her 1st gym was small with small numbers in each level- but had a lot of success in the compulsary levels and a few optional girls and occasionally produced a level 10.

At DD's current gym the lines are more blurred and it's harder to see why some girls are chosen- the pre-team has a huge range of abilities on it. DD's current gym has a very successful optional program and a moderatley successful compulsary program but is a pretty big gym with large optional teams. I am guessing that her current gym because it is large is more willing to give girls a shot who would not make the pre-team at another gym. I think the gym uses a "cream rises to the top" approach in that many girls quit before making it to optionals and that the girls who make it to Level 7 are the best of the best the gym has at that moment for that level. To make pre-team at DD's gym it's more strength and coordination and less skill based- something the coaches "see" in a kid that may or may not pan out into a good gymnast.

That said- it really depends on the gym.

On our tryout day for preteam/team the kids dont have to even be in the gym recreationally - they will take anyone - advertise at schools etc. - he wants to find athletically talented kids before they are snatched up by another sport!

They have a series of 'tests' to do (maybe 10 - 15?) and coaches or helpers to score each child on the test.
They attempt various things to do with strength and coordination and courage and a general comment may be made too.
I have helped here, and they do stuff like running races, including through the pits, leg lifts on wall bars, attempt a lever, touch toes, standing broad jump, attempt a rope climb, jump off a height into the pits (like a backward fall with their arms crossed over their chest from the height of the bar), etc
The head coach is there, and after the scores are added up (while they kids have 'playtime' in the gym) he talks to the helpers about x or y specific kid he maybe wants more info about - how did they do this that or the other.
Then he meets with the parents in the lobby and hands out a letter of invitation to try 8 free classes for the ones that he likes the look of - after this they get an official invitation, and start paying! Some obviously do not get asked to stay after the free classes.

Dunno you are getting very cryptic these days! I have been reading this board for a long time and I can't work out what you are saying half the time. Smoke and mirrors about the testing or about the usag 'look'?

team and pre-team try outs for 4 year olds. yet another contributing factor to disappointment, failure and burn out. what i meant was out with the old and in with the new. except the new is very young, will pay tuition longer at a higher rate and will leave the sport sooner only to be replaced in the same "try out for 4 yeard olds" cycle.

this systemic cycle misleads parents in to believing they might have the next nadia. hence, smoke and mirrors.

I was going to say I thought pretty much if a 4 year old was willing to pay they'd take them. LOL

See, that's what I was thinking NGL. Which is why I was curious about why a 4 yr old would have to tryout for preteam, seems to me you would take anyone who wanted to pay for the extra hours. As I said I'm new to the world of gymnastics and as DD seems to really like gymnastics(right now:)),I just like to know what I may have to deal with down the line.

team and pre-team try outs for 4 year olds. Yet another contributing factor to disappointment, failure and burn out. What i meant was out with the old and in with the new. Except the new is very young, will pay tuition longer at a higher rate and will leave the sport sooner only to be replaced in the same "try out for 4 yeard olds" cycle.

This systemic cycle misleads parents in to believing they might have the next nadia. Hence, smoke and mirrors.

absolutely!!!!!

Our gym did tryouts for team but they only gave the flyers to the kids already doing rec classes! My DS who is 6 had just started taking a class and on his first day he was given this flyer and then another the next week! At this point he could not even do a handstand or a cartwheel plus on the parallel bars he freaked out trying to get down and it took my DD's coach to come over and basically pry his little hands off the bars!!! But after class he ran to show me the tryout flyer and told me this on the way out " mom, I got another invitation to try out...they must REALLY want me on the team!" LOL!!

When I posted my earlier reply I didnt realise we were talking about 4 year olds.
At our gym it would be for approx age 5 - 7 girls or 6 - 8 boys and they dont take "anyone who would pay" for preteam or team - it is only kids with percieved 'potential' they take.

For both of DD's gyms the pre-team was 4-7 year olds- there's a junior group and a senior group- basically 1st year kids and 2nd year kids. The first year kids train and work increased hours over the rec program. The 2nd year kids compete Level 3 or 4 depending on age and ability.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back