WAG what does your/your child's conditioning look like? worried about too much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

sportymom

DD is a Level 6. She trains 3 times a week for 3 hours. In the first hour, they always do the same conditioning routine.
My sister's girls are both Level 7. They train 4 times a week, but just do conditioning twice a week for 40minutes.

Here is what DD does with her team:

10 minutes warm-up
stretch
wrist preperation
10 press handstands (goal is 10 in a a row)
3 sets of L to V leg lifts (goal is 3x10)
3 sets of full leg lifts (goals is 3x20)
3 sets of pull ups (goal is 3x10)
3 sets of push ups (goal is 3x30)
3 sets of tuck ups (goal is 3x20)
series of hollow body rocks and lower ab exercises
calf raises+toe raises
lunges
some leg tightening drills

Then they have a short break, stretch a little bit again and the last 2 hours are spent on the events.
Too me it looks like a lot, but I have nothing to compare and DD seems to handle it well!

What does your children's warm-up and conditioning program look like?

My daughter is Level 9. I have no idea what she does :) But I know that some days she complains something hurts from conditioning! I thing it's normal and part of the process and I trust her coaches so I'm thinking it's all good. But following along to see what others have to say!

I've never really paid a whole lot of attention but it seems like my DD's conditioning varies a lot. They go to different parts of the gym on different days and even then do different things. I don't think they have a routine conditioning schedule.

Sometimes they use bands, sometimes not. Sometimes they use weights, sometimes not. Sometimes they run outside, sometimes not. Sometimes it looks very boot campish (pull ups, push ups, burpees), sometimes it looks like they are practicing to be walkers (The Walking Dead). But just a ton of variation.

DD is a Level 6. She trains 3 times a week for 3 hours. In the first hour, they always do the same conditioning routine.Too me it looks like a lot, but I have nothing to compare and DD seems to handle it well!
What does your children's warm-up and conditioning program look like?

Sportmom; The sets/reps, in general, appear to be fine.

Every gym has its own goals/mission. In our gym all levels have different goals/missions that change over the year. The USA-G L3-9's all have different fitness needs that vary per time of year. Todays example: Our 9's have just come back from Region Championships and preparing for Westerns and Nationals. They are on a "pre-meet" fitness program as the prepare for the final push. (Pre-meet involves plio/jump rope alternating days and full general conditioning) Our L8's are back from Regionals with the next 60 days of getting back to full skill fitness and commence incremental fitness gains on upgrade skills. Our L6-7's are back to skill fitness and beginning fitness gains for their upgrade skills. Our 3-5's are in strength gain time of year (to be followed by initial increases in plio strength). Conditioning rotations vary from 20-45 minutes in length, depending on the level. Every 5 weeks the fitness sheets (posted per level) change.

You qualified that your DD is a L6. Let me see if I can assist by being specific - Our USA-G L6's today have the following (brief list). The plio set (done (Mon/Wed) does affect the rest of the workout and so the high impact events (FX/VT) are basic skill focus days or smaller load upgrade days(limited impacts). Conditioning today is 45 minutes (1st rotation) , later a 10 minute pli and event conditioning stations. It is expected that the L6's complete the tasks below.:

6 minute treadmill run
3 minute rope jumping
3 x 8 pull, pike, straddle, chin-levers, windshield wipers
6 30 sec. HS's on BB
2 rope climb (no feet, 24', no legs (straddle) in 20 sec. max(otherwise another 1/2 climb))
"Workout Monday Plio" 4 sets (mat jumps, long jumps block jumps and then mat push)
Lunge walks (4 w/weights in hands)
100 down (100 crunches/90 hollow-rocks/80 arch rocks/70 lemon squeezers/60 sec. hollow hold/50 sec.arch hold/40 hollow flutters/30 arch flutters/20 v-ups/10 straddle v-ups)
20 walking v-ups
100 releve heel raises on BB
4 x 5 straddle press HS

We have event conditioning planned for each group. Our gym purchased a fitness gym, that was going out of business, and have many of the machines in the gym. The lat pull-down, assisted pull-up, leg extension, rowing machine, bench press, squat rack machines are typically used. We have hand weights at each event were the gymnasts have assignments.

Our gym does not build fitness competitors, rather we assist our gymnasts to be core strong and to have "enough" strength to execute their skills safely.

Hopefully the above assists in providing a qualified answer to your question. Best wishes, SBG -

My DD does approx 1 hour of conditioning during each 4 hour practice. However, they switch conditioning routines every 6 weeks or so. I think that doing the exact same conditioning every time would have diminishing returns...

Our girls warmup/condition for the first 1 1/2 to 2 hours of the 4.5 hour practice. It isn't the same every day. Always varying and emphasizing different things. I am positive there is a plan and year long periodization going on but I wouldn't know what that is. They just work their buts off every day. This is huge and important part of the sport.

Some days more bar conditioning, some days more plyo and fast moving work for cardio, some days more strength bodyweight work, some days more core stability, some days more dance basics and shapes. Sometimes it is more skill specific work, like strength drills for the skill work they will be doing that week. Conditioning, drills, shapes and basics are a huge part of our program. I think it is one of the reasons that you don't see our gymnasts wearing a lot of braces or suffering from serious overuse injuries.

It does seem that different gyms put a different emphasis on this or handle it differently. Some may work strength into rotations more and so it may seem like they aren't conditioning as much but they actually are doing just as much or others may just not be conditioning as much. It is pretty clear when you go to meets which gyms emphasize it and which ones don't just by looking at them.

In my mind a strong mind and body is a safer and more capable gymnast.

Sportmom; The sets/reps, in general, appear to be fine.

Every gym has its own goals/mission. In our gym all levels have different goals/missions that change over the year. The USA-G L3-9's all have different fitness needs that vary per time of year. Todays example: Our 9's have just come back from Region Championships and preparing for Westerns and Nationals. They are on a "pre-meet" fitness program as the prepare for the final push. (Pre-meet involves plio/jump rope alternating days and full general conditioning) Our L8's are back from Regionals with the next 60 days of getting back to full skill fitness and commence incremental fitness gains on upgrade skills. Our L6-7's are back to skill fitness and beginning fitness gains for their upgrade skills. Our 3-5's are in strength gain time of year (to be followed by initial increases in plio strength). Conditioning rotations vary from 20-45 minutes in length, depending on the level. Every 5 weeks the fitness sheets (posted per level) change.

You qualified that your DD is a L6. Let me see if I can assist by being specific - Our USA-G L6's today have the following (brief list). The plio set (done (Mon/Wed) does affect the rest of the workout and so the high impact events (FX/VT) are basic skill focus days or smaller load upgrade days(limited impacts). Conditioning today is 45 minutes (1st rotation) , later a 10 minute pli and event conditioning stations. It is expected that the L6's complete the tasks below.:

6 minute treadmill run
3 minute rope jumping
3 x 8 pull, pike, straddle, chin-levers, windshield wipers
6 30 sec. HS's on BB
2 rope climb (no feet, 24', no legs (straddle) in 20 sec. max(otherwise another 1/2 climb))
"Workout Monday Plio" 4 sets (mat jumps, long jumps block jumps and then mat push)
Lunge walks (4 w/weights in hands)
100 down (100 crunches/90 hollow-rocks/80 arch rocks/70 lemon squeezers/60 sec. hollow hold/50 sec.arch hold/40 hollow flutters/30 arch flutters/20 v-ups/10 straddle v-ups)
20 walking v-ups
100 releve heel raises on BB
4 x 5 straddle press HS

We have event conditioning planned for each group. Our gym purchased a fitness gym, that was going out of business, and have many of the machines in the gym. The lat pull-down, assisted pull-up, leg extension, rowing machine, bench press, squat rack machines are typically used. We have hand weights at each event were the gymnasts have assignments.

Our gym does not build fitness competitors, rather we assist our gymnasts to be core strong and to have "enough" strength to execute their skills safely.

Hopefully the above assists in providing a qualified answer to your question. Best wishes, SBG -

Thank you for your detailed answer! Seems to me that each gym has totally different methods...
Our routine seems fine to me, as they work all muscle groups. My daughter can also nearly meet all of the "goals".
Our gym has just 3 L 9's, but they do the same thing as the Level 6 girls, the only thing they add is windshield wipers, chin levers, chin-up pullovers and some weighted lunges.

I was just a little confused, because they do the same every single training session since DD was a Level 4. The only thing they changed are the L to V raise, they start with them at L5. But there is no variety.

I don't know if that is good or bad! I was scared that it might be too much on 3 days a week for now, but too less when they are in L9, because as I already mentioned, the L9 conditioning is not really differet from the one of L6!

Thanks again!

Our girls warmup/condition for the first 1 1/2 to 2 hours of the 4.5 hour practice. It isn't the same every day. Always varying and emphasizing different things. I am positive there is a plan and year long periodization going on but I wouldn't know what that is. They just work their buts off every day. This is huge and important part of the sport.

Some days more bar conditioning, some days more plyo and fast moving work for cardio, some days more strength bodyweight work, some days more core stability, some days more dance basics and shapes. Sometimes it is more skill specific work, like strength drills for the skill work they will be doing that week. Conditioning, drills, shapes and basics are a huge part of our program. I think it is one of the reasons that you don't see our gymnasts wearing a lot of braces or suffering from serious overuse injuries.

It does seem that different gyms put a different emphasis on this or handle it differently. Some may work strength into rotations more and so it may seem like they aren't conditioning as much but they actually are doing just as much or others may just not be conditioning as much. It is pretty clear when you go to meets which gyms emphasize it and which ones don't just by looking at them.

In my mind a strong mind and body is a safer and more capable gymnast.

Thanks for your answer!

Do you think our gym conditions enough/the right way? We have just 3 L9 girls in our gym. They practice 4 times a week for 4.5 hours, sometimes on weekends as well. They do the exact same conditioning as the L6 girls, they just add some chin-levers, chin-up pullovers and weighted lunges!

I'd say DD has a combination of warmup/conditioning of 1-1.5 hours a day, each day she is there (5x per week).

Both the warmup and the conditioning varies, to keep it from getting "more" boring. I haven't noticed an increase in the time allotment from her younger years (4hour practises, 4 days a week) but the expectations of what is done during the time is more.

I think it depends. Conditioning is very important, but you need a balance, firstly so you get time to do actual gymnastics, and secondly you need to make is appropriate to age, level and aspiration. Too much conditioning and not enough fun stuff and most kids will not enjoy it:)

Our old gym were big on conditioning. All the kids were in great shape, way beyond their skill level. Every kid conditioned as if they were elite path. But- there were downsides. An hour on basics and shapes at the beginning, and an hour conditioning at the end of a 3 or four hour practice only leaves about 20-30 mins on each apparatus. Which showed as their skill progression wasn't fast. They did pick up skills very very quickly due to physical condition and all the drills, it was getting time to actually do practice them! Some kids left because the conditioning was too much, and I think for the less flexible natural powerhouses some time would have been better spent stretching.

So. If the conditioning is affecting how your DD feels about the sport, or is eating into her training time, it might be too much. If she is acquiring skills with good form and at an appropriate pace, it's likely enough :)

As an aside, interestingly DD hasn't lost much, if any of her condition in the year since she left gymnastics. OK, she still trains a lot of hours a week, but they do very little specific conditioning compared to gymnastics. She can still match all her old scores for handstand hold, v-ups, press ups etc. Which surprised me. I did know a coach with an elite gymnast once who said if kids train properly they don't need so much conditioning, they gained all their strength just from skill repetition. I knew another coach who always said not to overdo it, if you were sore the next day you were less likely to come back, or train properly if you did.

There's nothing wrong with one hour of fundamental and specific conditioning. I'd be worried if it was much less. Depending on where they are in the yearly training cycle, the ratio of conditioning, flexibility, and shape work can vary substantially from 1/4 to 3/4 of their entire workout.

That amount of conditioning seems pretty normal if not a bit on the low side. DD gym conditions about an hour at the beginning and then a half hour to 45 minutes at the end. She does all of the items listed plus ropes, pull up pull overs on bars, other bar work and lots of jumping up and down off of various blocks, push ups, pull ups. Lots of stuff. It changed every two weeks and is a bit less during meet season.

So much conditioning in the beginning of a practice seems self defeating to me. Wouldn't the kids be too tired to perform their skills to the best of their ability afterwards? Conditioning at the end, once the skills have been practiced for the day seems more logical in my opinion.

Agreed. But fatigue accumulates, even over months. Why compound that problem with heavy conditioning in the beginning. I totally agree with conditioning at the start of practice, but it should be a lot of active flexibility type exercises and general motions and body shapes. Any specific exercises that target specific muscle groups will make those specific muscles tired for the remainder of the practice which seems counter productive to me.

Agreed. But fatigue accumulates, even over months. Why compound that problem with heavy conditioning in the beginning. I totally agree with conditioning at the start of practice, but it should be a lot of active flexibility type exercises and general motions and body shapes. Any specific exercises that target specific muscle groups will make those specific muscles tired for the remainder of the practice which seems counter productive to me.

Thanks for your opinion! Yes, that's actually what I meant, it might not be too much, but maybe at the wrong time.
Our gym is pretty small. We have kind of a "parents-coaches-conference" next month and maybe I will ask why they condition before. Our coaches are all super nice and they help you with every concern!

What would you advice? Do you think the program in general is good, it should just be at the end of the training? Or did they forget any important muscle groups?

Our girls are not really training for TOPS or so, but I know that the gym is very conditioning-orientated. They want to girls to meet strength requirements when they want to move a Level up. Of course, they don't NEED to, but they highly recommend it!

Our girls start with the program I listed above when they are Level 4 and are supposed to meet the strength skills I wrote on brackets when they want to compete Level7!

That amount of conditioning seems pretty normal if not a bit on the low side. DD gym conditions about an hour at the beginning and then a half hour to 45 minutes at the end. She does all of the items listed plus ropes, pull up pull overs on bars, other bar work and lots of jumping up and down off of various blocks, push ups, pull ups. Lots of stuff. It changed every two weeks and is a bit less during meet season.

Wow, that's a lot!!!

She is a L7? Do you know her max pull-ups, leg lifts and so on? Are the girls required to meet a certain amount of reps for each exercise?

Actually targeting specific muscle groups before you use them for skills sounds productive to me. Make yourself strong enough to do the move before it or after it? Any strength you build up at the end will be reduced by the time you come to train again 2 or 3 days later.

I think the key really is quality and specific and not too heavy as to render your gymnast useless for the rest of the session. General heavy conditioning can happily go at the end.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back