What hair style works best, for your DD hair type?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
I know there have been many many MANY posts on competition hairstyles. But, most are old, and if I respond to one of them Bog will slap my hands..lol.
My DD has long hair, 3/4 down her back. Its SUPER fine. It's hard to get it to stay up in anything. She has let her bangs grow out since last season..so they will be able to be pulled back too.
Im trying to find a good hairstyle for her. She is an L4 (age 6). If its in just a reg pony it gets in her face and she will sometimes get it caught under her hands during floor. (in practice she just tucks the end up at the top of the pony).
I figured this could maybe be a thread where everyone posts why type of hair type your DD has..and the best hair style for her. Kinda have it all in one place kinda thing. And if anyone has questions we can ask here..instead of in an old post and risk Bog taking the hose after us..lol
Here is a picture of DD hair down. I have tried doing a bun with her..but her hair is so fine..it just looks like this nub sticking out at the back of her head. Not for her.
oct2011 018.jpg

our girls for competitions have in the past done two French plaits either side of their heads ( so they can forward roll on beam - buns get in the way), with my dd I plait the front 1/6 of hair from ear to ear and then either ponytail, buncheas or bun the rest

PIC_0056.jpg

PIC_0055.jpg

You could try the sock bun... Done with a net to hold the loose ends that wrap around it will give any child a great looking bun because the sock makes the shape, not the hair. They do require practice though and many videos of them on YouTube stink. You could also make a pony then three small braids and then wrap those around. That too can give girth to a bun.

Sadly we have the opposite problem. My daughter has so much hair I have to style it wet and keep it super short or she has a cinnamon roll bun :)

To deal with hair that is still growing out and doesn't stay in the pony well, the best thing is spider webs across the whole top of the head or small braids where needed that are then incorporated into the pony. Use a lot of gel or hairspray to keep everything in place. As for the long pony, you could use just one big braid or several small braids after you pony it and then tuck it/them under the pony and let them hang like a loop.

my dd has hair just like yours, though we just cut the strangling ends so it's about 4 in shorter. We have settled pretty much on spider webs and the loop braids under the pony. Sometimes I will do a modified corn row pattern on top but it's a major pain and doesn't stay as long. If I can find a photo of the hair style I will post it.

Oh, and I definitely prefer gel to hairspray. just seems to keep everything neater.

Firstly let me say how proud I am of Deanna, resisting the urge to drag old threads out of their grave is tough. But the reward ais that I don't have to use that darned infraction thingy!

This one was my favourite for Bigger Bog Baby when she was about 8. She had very long, fine hair. It stayed in so well and looked great.

BB hair.jpg

This one was Bitty Baby Bogs favourite at the same age. Basically the spider web with a high ponytail.

CIMG2634.jpg

Ooh I really like those Bog! DD must where a bun, with a net. I make it pretty high and have been braiding a small section across her crown. Keeps the fly aways in check and softens an otherwise severe style! While I know many of the girls love those floppy, messy concoctions that are so prominent in college gymnastics, they are off limits per our HC! Old School all the way!

Our HC requires the girls to wear 2 french braids- one on each side. My DD has hair as long as Deanna's. So when I do the 2 braids it still hangs down her back. It can get in the way when she does her bridge kickover on floor :(. Is there a good way to still do the 2 braids but put the ends up somehow? I wish I could just do a bun! Ballet has made me good at those, lol :) The spiderwebs looks really cute too, I'm jealous!

I have the same problem as Sharks 3376, DD has so much hair! Half way down her back and super thick. We have done two high pigtails, then plaited and looped back up, with cute ribbons in each side. High ponytail, then divided into 8-10 little plaits and looped back up with a ribbon or scrunchy. If the girls have really long hair our hc prefers either a bun or the plaits looped back up so that there is no possibility of the hair getting caught under their hands or flicking over onto the face.

I would say that lots and lots of product is going to be a help, either mousse and/or gel as well as hairspray. DD's thick hair requires lots of gel and then hairspray. Her best gym friend who has super fine, thin hair - also requires heaps of gel and then hairspray.

Our HC requires the girls to wear 2 french braids- one on each side. My DD has hair as long as Deanna's. So when I do the 2 braids it still hangs down her back. It can get in the way when she does her bridge kickover on floor :(. Is there a good way to still do the 2 braids but put the ends up somehow? I wish I could just do a bun! Ballet has made me good at those, lol :) The spiderwebs looks really cute too, I'm jealous!

What I did with dd for her grades was two french plaits as per above and then I got some cotton and a darning needle and I sewed them together at the nape of her neck so they formed a loop - I'm trying to find a picture but all I have is video I think

What I did with dd for her grades was two french plaits as per above and then I got some cotton and a darning needle and I sewed them together at the nape of her neck so they formed a loop - I'm trying to find a picture but all I have is video I think

That sounds really interesting. I'll have to try it for practice this week and see how it works. Thanks for the advice. :)

When I was in high school I was in NJROTC (Operations Officer..thank you very much..lol) and I had hair just like my DD. Long and fine. My mom would wet my hair..gel it down..and french braid it. She would braid it so tight sometimes that she would give me an instant face lift...lol. But the braid would hang down my back and you cant have your hair touching your collar. So She would then..take the end and tuck it back up under the braid. Between the braid itself and my scalp and secure with bobby pins.
I would do this with Kadees hair..but she has the line of baby hair all the way around her head..that just isnt quite long enough. Long enough to be an real flyway (hair wise..not bars..lol) issue........
I put a picture of it in this post. Its not the best as it doesnt show the back..but you can see the braid and kinda see its tucked up in there

Attachments

• njrotc.jpg
    njrotc.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 82
Normally, a french braid of some sort or spiderweb.

Coach has told me in the past to get dd hair cut as was interfering with training and dangerous !!. I hadn't even thought about it, didn't actually think it was that long, but when she was doing handstands she would often trap her ponytail under her hand.

Firstly let me say how proud I am of Deanna, resisting the urge to drag old threads out of their grave is tough. But the reward ais that I don't have to use that darned infraction thingy!

This one was my favourite for Bigger Bog Baby when she was about 8. She had very long, fine hair. It stayed in so well and looked great.

View attachment 3362

This one was Bitty Baby Bogs favourite at the same age. Basically the spider web with a high ponytail.

View attachment 3363

When I tried the sock bun on her last night. (I will post pictures of that adventure in a bit)..I did something very similar to Bigger Bog Baby's hair. Except I only did two little braids to hold thos flyaways down in the front. (she has about a one inch ring all the way around her head..that is this impossibly fine hair). Now her hair doesnt look good with a "normal" bun in it..because she doesnt have thick enough hair to pull it off. It just looks like this odd nub at the back of her head. But I did notice when I put the sock bun in last night that it made a nice pretty "normal" bun. So even if the curls do not hold through out the day..and her hair still ends up getting in her way at practice after school..then I can just leave it with the sock in it..whose going to know right?

Thank you! Everyone at the gym kept telling me just to pull the braids up but no one gave me any logistical details, lol. I'll try this, thanks :)
You are welcome. I hope it works.

Normally, a french braid of some sort or spiderweb.

Coach has told me in the past to get dd hair cut as was interfering with training and dangerous !!. I hadn't even thought about it, didn't actually think it was that long, but when she was doing handstands she would often trap her ponytail under her hand.

My daughters is the same way. And she will not hear of cutting it. It has taken her 6 yrs to grow it the length it is..and she wont hear of it..lol. So at practice she will just take the end and bring it up by the base of the pony and wrap the hair band around it again..so the ends are now up by the base. It looks messy..but it works..and I noticed alot of the girls do that.
Here is a picture of her with it up that way. Shes not in the gym, but his is how she wears it when she is
Kadees6thBirthday 011.JPG

ooops...womens department. pardon me...bye bye for now.:)

We all need to get together and get Dunno a GPS. Typical man..sees the road signs saying this is the wrong way..and he comes here anyway...lol
You know we love you anyway..right?

Deanna I always did those little braids on Biggers Bog's hair as she had those fine wispy baby hairs all around her hairlines, I would gel the suckers in to place and then braid, it was amazing how it held.

Bog I showed my daughter that picture of your little one's hair (with the small braids into the bun) nearly three years ago and she ended up wearing that style all through level 4 and 5, either with a bun or a pony tail. In fact at her first gym the entire level 4 team ended up wearing it because it was just enough to dress up a bun without being ostentatious. It is still my favorite look when she competes, though she doesn't let me put her hair up much anymore now that she's super mature and nearly ten.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back