What information would you like in a news letter.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
Having just come from our first board meeting since the AGM in October where the new board for this year was elected the topic of communication and perception was brought up.

It seems there are some who feel dissension amongst the ranks (parents not kids) at the different levels. As it happens the board is made up of parents whose children whom train many hours and are on either the National or the higher Provincial levels. Some don't seem to realize that the positions get voted on every year at the AGM and anyone is free to run.

We have decided to re-introduce a newsletter as everyone agrees that communication is important and may also help with reducing in "gossip" (for lack of a better word) that seems to arise from assumptions made based on lack of factual knowledge.

We are a parent run, not for profit club with two amazing head coaches who go far beyond their duties. When this was introduced previously it ended up back on their lap to carry on and in turn was neglected and left to the wayside as they do not have the time - nor should they.

My question is: What information do you get that you find really helpful? Or on the other side of the coin; what information do you feel you don't get that you would like more of? How often do you think the news letter should come out?

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated from a parents point of view, gymnast point of view or even what information coaches would like put out there.

Last edited:
As a parent I think the info you would like varies depending on what stage your gymnast is at.

Firstly I would say that info for newcomers is always helpful.
At the beginning of the year/term (whenever you have a new influx of kids into either team or rec classes) some info for parents who have no prior experience of gymnastics would be useful.
Basic stuff like what your kid should or shouldn't wear, stating what is acceptable and not acceptable, things like making sure you are on time for class, bring a drink bottle, if the gym allows viewing not distracting your child from the coaches instructions.
I think when your child has been involved in gymnastics for a few years it is easy to forget how foreign a world it is to new parents.

Prior to the start of competition season, info for new team parents about what to expect, what to bring to a comp etc is always nice.

I always like to see photos from comps and team results in our newsletter.
Fundraising targets and how the club is going towards achieving these.
One of my kids gyms has a "gymnast of the month", chosen based on work ethic, attitude and achieving individual goals (NOT scores) and the gymnast is highlighted in the newsletter.

The newsletter at Pickle’s gym is written almost entirely for the Rec side. On team, we get so many email and other communications, that it isn’t really necessary.

Typically, the newsletter includes information on signing up for classes, camps and other special programs, reminders about parking or packing water bottles, and information about league meets. Also, if the gym is adding new classes (like parkour or adult fitness), they will advertise it there. Sometimes there are announcements of coaches leaving or starting. The only information about team is a column of congratulations to medalists after meets.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back