What is the age limit in gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You're never too old to do gymnastics recreationally (though not all gyms have classes for adults)

There is no age limit to gymnastics. Well there is a minimum age limit not a maximum age limit, so yes you can do it at 45.

Here in Australia most gyms have adult gymnastics, there are even gyms dedicated entirely to adult gymnastics. Lots of people take it up in their 30's, 40's and 50's and even later and still learn high level skills.

I figure as long as you can still move, you're young enough to do gymnastics :). It might hurt a little more if you mess up though.

We were at JO Nationals in 2006 and there was a gymnast (Chari Hunter ) who was in her 30s (!!!) and did quite well and finished 2nd in the AA!! So you never know..

There was a 22 yr old Level 7 at a meet a few weeks ago and one of my girls' coaches said when she was in JO about 10 yrs ago that there was a 40 yr old level 4!

I believe there is a 42 year old L9 in my states. She competed when she was young, and is married now with kids, and has gone back to it. I know she was a L8 for at least 2 years that I know of, and is know up to L9.

I believe there is a 42 year old L9 in my states. She competed when she was young, and is married now with kids, and has gone back to it. I know she was a L8 for at least 2 years that I know of, and is know up to L9.

Thats great to hear, often Mothers of that age don't do anything for themselves because they are so busy with the kids. I hope she encourages others to follow suit.

Thats great to hear, often Mothers of that age don't do anything for themselves because they are so busy with the kids. I hope she encourages others to follow suit.
Actually, I think just the opposite in that situation. Call me sexist if you wish (actually same goes true for a male). Unless this 42yo gymnast is single or kid-less, I think she is doing way too much for herself and not enough for the kid(s) and her family. She likely has something to prove and good parenthood is not one of them. Being a L9 at that age has got to be a full time job. What if she gets hurt?

I don't personally know her, so I won't judge her.

I do know someone that knows her, and she said that she had her husband's full blessing before she started back in. At at 42 years old, her kids could be in their 20's for all we know. Her husband could work nights for all we know. I give her credit for staying active and for doing something she loves. I know she has been at it for at least 3 years (2 years at L8 and now L9), and I believe she does well.

I have a friend in his 40's who plays hocket at night. I don't put him down for it. I know it's probably not as many hours a week, but I know how much he loves his time to still be able to do something he loves.

I hear ya flippersmom. Of course, I am ruling out anyone who's not an active mom/dad of children in need of care due to age or otherwise. And, I certainly agree that all of us need to have our own time to ourselves sometimes just to stay sane.

However, back to the topic, if a young L9 need to practice 20 to 30 hours to stay in shape to not get hurt, how many hours do you think a 42yo would need to do to stay in the same shape. I don't know your age but I certainly have gotten there and some and I stay pretty active.

Also realistically speaking, practicing as a L9 gymnast is far different than playing a game of hockey, even if it's done every night or at a competitive level. Even then, I still think it may be an overkill at that frequency if all he is doing is to have his "he" time unless he is playing outside his family hours. If working drastically over normal hours is an unhealthy interference to family affair (which I resentful have done from time to time), why wouldn't playing be?

FYI, I ski nearly every night/day of the week (along with many of the parents in our club), but I do it with my children part of the time during their training and I do all the taxiing. I certainly wouldn't do it at that frequency if I was doing it if I didn't need to drive my kids there. (isn't skiing great?)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back