WAG What is the average age for reaching lvl 10?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't think it's "normal" or "common" to reach level 10.

I've heard here on CB that you want to be a level 10 by 9th grade if you want a shot at a Div I scholarship, but beyond that, I think anyone who makes it to level 10 at any age is totally amazing. I've seen statistics about the number of girls at each level, but never anything that broke it down by age.

I agree that level 10 gymnastics is way up there! I was just wondering, of current level 10s, what is the most common age they reached level 10...

I agree that level 10 gymnastics is way up there! I was just wondering, of current level 10s, what is the most common age they reached level 10...

My dd is still young and I don't know much about the upper levels, nationally speaking. Currently our youngest 10's are 12 but we have older girls just reaching level 10. I think we have a group of 13/14 year olds that will be level 10 next year.

Most of our level 10s started in 9th grade (that's the coaches' goal), some in 10th or 11th. We haven't had any younger than that (at least that I'm aware of). Not sure if that's typical or not.

I've heard here on CB that you want to be a level 10 by 9th grade if you want a shot at a Div I scholarship, but beyond that, I think anyone who makes it to level 10 at any age is totally amazing.

There are three girls at DD's gym who have committed to Div I schools this year, and all 3 were level 10s in 9th grade. There is also a girl who committed to a Div II school - her first level 10 year was 11th grade.

I agree - I think they're all amazing.

do you mean Elite/Olympic level ^^^^^ or do you mean level 10?

Australian level 10 - which from what I have seen at nationals would really be a US level 9 I doubt many would qualify to USA level 10 nationals as they don't have the skills.

Most kids never even reach level 10 but I would say that when my daughter was a first year 10 , the average age was 14 ish. She was in the Jr A age group for 3 years so she was young as a first yr 10...

In our gym, we generally only have a handful of 10's and they are usually juniors and seniors in high school. I think we have one L10 right now who is 13 or 14.

Looking at the girls who get to level 10, I think 14/freshman in high school is pretty average. There are a handful of kids (mostly those on the elite path) that get there much earlier (10ish), but many who get there later (junior/senior year). The much younger kids are definitely a smaller group, if you look at the dates of birth within the Junior A age group for JO Nationals it's usually kids 13 or even new 14 year olds and younger, which is a huge age span! The "older" age groups (Junior B and beyond) are often much more evenly matched because there are just more kids at those ages.

visual and quantifiable experience. and USAG data indirectly points this out when you look at level 9 numbers and names/ages and where they are the next year.

At our gym I would say 14 is probably the average. Occasionally, we'll see an 11 or 12, and sometimes 15 or 16. My observation is that for the ones that tended to be older, it was becuase of an injury that affected the prior season or caused a repeat of level 9. We also see some take a little longer simply becuase of one event challenging them. Lastly, we have had a few that were on the upside of that 14 because they wanted to take a year off or try other sports and then came back.

do you mean Elite/Olympic level ^^^^^ or do you mean level 10?

I mean level 10, in Australia you can't go to elite/Olympic level from level 10. Most kids get to level 10 around grade 12 at school and usually compete level 10 for 3 years or so before quitting and moving onto other things. Not that many kids reach level 10, those that do usually go onto some other involvement in gymnastics like coaching, cheerleading or sports acrobatics.

also Australians don't tend to go away to college. Most stay home once they finish school and either attend university (which does not have the heaviest work load) or work. So most continue with their regular extra curricular activities at least for a few years after they finish high school.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back