WAG What is the average age of girls in level 5?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rjb123

Proud Parent
I am just curious. My DD is quite young, and in our state she is one of the two- three youngest in her level at every meet. I was just wondering what the average age of level five is across the country. I know some states have just a ton of girls competing, so I was curious if there were more young girls out there - like age 7.5-8? In our area, it is more the norm to be around 9 or 10.

I don't know that you can find real-time data on this, so you're just going to get anecdotal responses. Usually, I have found the largest age group to be the ones who are not very young for their level, and not older. Our team is not doing L5 this year, but I would say most of the L6s are 8-9. I believe that would be on the young side though. When my DD competed L6 last year as a 9 year old, I would say there were more kids that level that were 10-13.

As many people here have confirmed, if you have a DD on the younger side, it only gets harder, competition-wise, as they move up. The youngest age groups typically (not saying always) usually score the highest/are the most talented.

Our gym also is not doing level five but my DD is level four and the largest age group at her past couple Meets has been the 10 year olds.

Our gym wasn't planning on doing 5 but a few girls weren't ready/willing to skip it so we have a small L5 group. Ages are 10-12.

Our one L6 meet had lots of 10-12. Youngest L6 was 9, only a handful in the 15+ group.

Well, in our state, DD's age group has always been the largest at States, even though, at both gyms she's been at, she has been the oldest one in her training group. DD did level 5 when she was 9/10.

My older dd did level 5 when she was 10, my younger will be 10 as well when she gets there (probably, she is a 9 year old level 4). This seems to be the average age around here.

our level 5s are almost all 11-12 this year - kids who couldn't make the jump to 7 (we're not doing 6) or did old 5 last year. In general, it seems the largest age group around here in the past for old 6 was about 11 or so...DD was 9 and in the youngest age group still because of numbers. 11-12 is also by far the largest group of level 7s here, and 11 the highest competition, not the youngest group....but we are a small state, so as you move up the youngest age group actually gets very tiny!

DD was 11-12 in old L6. She was always in the middle age division. We had 4 girls doing that level last year, ages 10, 12, and 13.

This is totally unscientific, but I looked at some of the meets on mymeetscores (the December meets that had results... from different states) for this season and it seems that the average age for Level 5 is around 10-11 years old.

Our level 5s are all 10. They are just now moving to this level for Spring season after competing level 4 in the fall.

My girls are going to their 1st level 5 meet in 2 weeks and they are 9. They just finished level 4 and are testing out of 5 to start training level 7!

In my state, old 6/new 5 seems to have an average age of 11. Our gym teams have usually ranged from 9-13, and sometimes 14. This seem pretty consistent across the region, at least to the meets we go to and we usually do 3 or 4 meets out of state but still in the region. There seems to be a small number of kids under 9 and we almost always have a good size 12 and up age group.

Oh, that's right... The levels changed. When DD was old 6, she was 10/11, competing States as an 11-year-old, and hers was the biggest age group at States.

In my part of Australia the largest age group for level 5 are 12 years old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back