what is the difference between these types of clubs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering is someone could explain the difference between USAG, AAU, YMCA, and GIJO programs. Is it just how the club is "registered" or do the difference go beyond that? thanks for any help!

USAG JO (USA Gymnastics Junior Olympic): Your traditional "intense" program. This program leads to Level 10 and beyond. This is typically a high cost...high hour program.

^^^ INTENSE ^^^ HIGH HOURS ^^^ HIGH SKILL LEVEL ^^^ HIGH COST ^^^
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vvv NOT AS INTENSE vvv LOW HOURS vvv LOWER SKILL LEVEL vvv LOWER COST vvv

USAG PREP-Optional or Excel: This is a new program by USAG. The focus is on fun, safe gymnastics. This is a billed as a low hour, lower cost, less intense program.

AAU (Amateur Athletic Union): This is similar to PREP-Opt. or Excel but through AAU.

YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association): Similar to PREP-Opt. or Excel but ONLY for Y's.

GIJO (Greater Illinios Junior Olympic): Similar to PREP-Opt. or Excel but ONLY for Illinois clubs. Here's more...It was created for gymnast in Illinois (one of the biggest states for gymnastics), to provide quality gymnastics, less hours, FAR LESS cost for meets and training, and contain an element that USAG training has started to lose… Fun!

EDIT: I don't know much about AAU, YMCA, or GIJO. Jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
nah, you got it just about right JBS. USAG is the NGB. all the other organizations get their stuff from us. park districts too. they all purchase the program books and music and then modify the routines to make them more user friendly for a broader base of kids that may otherwise wouldn't do gymnastics.

gijoe in illinois is pretty old now. it's modified also. follows usag routines also. there were problems with this with usag. so, they will no longer sanction these meets. they will now be sanctioned by aau. so, those kids will now have to join the aau as opposed to usag.

and ohhhh, the history. aau was the national governing for ALL amateur sports in the USA prior to 1964. long story short, USGF (USAG) became the NGB for all things gymnastics after a protracted lawsuit back in the early 60's. Frank Bare, who is recently deceased, was the man responsible for that happening. the whole story is for another day.:)

and for most of you that may not know, USGF stands for United States Gymnastics Federation. they are still this today. in 1991, the USOC had ALL the NGB's change to USA...gymnastics...swimming....wrestling...etc; to dilineate and define "USA National Teams" in ALL olympic sports/teams representing the USA.

The YMCA's in our area (and in others, according to people I have talked with on this site) actually compete USAG. The one closest to us does level 3-8 plus Prep Op (soon to be Xcell). They can choose to compete in YMCA leagues only, which is nice because you're comparing apples to apples... generally similar hours in the gym, often less than amazing equipment, etc. Plus Y league meets are cheaper to attend. BUT even though you're competing the same routines as USAG 5's, 6's, etc. if you only compete at Y meets, you can't get a qualifying move-up score for USAG... you have to compete at a sanctioned USAG meet for that, and Y meets (at least in my experience) are not sanctioned USAG. Also, depending on the judges you get, the scoring may be somewhat inflated (compared to USAG). So if you start at a YMCA that doesn't do any USAG meets, you may find it difficult to transfer to a private gym in the future. My DD is transitioning from a Y to a private gym, and I am greatful that our Y did USAG meets, including sectionals, states, etc.

actually MaryA, there are some Y's that do take sanction from USAG. it's so that the kids can receive mobility scores in their areas. but in order for this to happen, ALL officials on a USAG sanctioned floor must have USAG credentials. and as you know, many Y coaches have their USAG certifications as well as the judges.

The San Diego area had 3 (now 2...I think) very high level YMCA programs. The San Diego Y is big business...they actually bought private USAG clubs to run the gymnastics portion of the Y. These Y's compete USAG. Below is a link to a Y that has put boys on the Junior National Team:

Mission Valley YMCA | Boys Team

actually MaryA, there are some Y's that do take sanction from USAG. it's so that the kids can receive mobility scores in their areas. but in order for this to happen, ALL officials on a USAG sanctioned floor must have USAG credentials. and as you know, many Y coaches have their USAG certifications as well as the judges.

Good to know. There are some strong YMCA programs in our area (Hanover YMCA has a beautiful gym and their kids practice as many hours as most private gyms) but the stronger Y programs (even the one DD was in) tend to compete more USAG meets than they do Y League meets. None of the Y league meets we've been to have been sanctioned.

My daughter competed at a Y as an L3...at the time, we were not a USAG gym and only competed against other Ys. Now, with a new coach there (my daughter is now at a USAG private gym as an L5), the girls have the option of competing USAG at levels 4 and up (really only L4 and L5 there). The gym also competes L1 and L2...not sure if those are USAG sanctioned but they only compete L1 and L2 against othe Ys.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the only way to get a college scholarship or go to Elite is through USAG. So if that is your daughters goal, don't waste your money on AAU, YMCA, PrepOp, or whatever organization your state sponsors such as TAAF (Texas Amatuer Athletic Association).

I have a question....My son wrestles through USA Wrestling during the regular wrestling season and may do some off-season AAU wrestling meets. The other day, he received a letter from AAU stating that he could be in a biography type of book. My husband and I think this is a hoax and an attempt to peddle some money from us. But for my son's sake, I thought to ask. Does any one have any inside knowledge on a biography book that AAU has of athletes entitled, "2011 Edition of the Best Athletes in AAU"?

I have a question....My son wrestles through USA Wrestling during the regular wrestling season and may do some off-season AAU wrestling meets. The other day, he received a letter from AAU stating that he could be in a biography type of book. My husband and I think this is a hoax and an attempt to peddle some money from us. But for my son's sake, I thought to ask. Does any one have any inside knowledge on a biography book that AAU has of athletes entitled, "2011 Edition of the Best Athletes in AAU"?

My daughter (not my gymmie) got the same exact thing, and she ran track for about three months and competed in one meet, where she made a perfectly fine showing for someone who had only been running track for three months and was competing in her first (and last) meet, but that's about it. So, while I'm sure it's not a "hoax" in as much as I'm sure they'd be happy to put your son's biography (and a photograph for a mere $12 fee) into the book, it's definitely a ploy to get parents to buy a $60 book (maybe with an extra copy for grandma?) that means nothing in the wide world of atheletics.

My daughter (not my gymmie) got the same exact thing, and she ran track for about three months and competed in one meet, where she made a perfectly fine showing for someone who had only been running track for three months and was competing in her first (and last) meet, but that's about it. So, while I'm sure it's not a "hoax" in as much as I'm sure they'd be happy to put your son's biography (and a photograph for a mere $12 fee) into the book, it's definitely a ploy to get parents to buy a $60 book (maybe with an extra copy for grandma?) that means nothing in the wide world of atheletics.

I thought the same thing! Now how do I tell my son..."This isn't your claim to fame!" He'll understand...Thanks Mary A!

Thanks for this post! My DD's gym competes AAU (I think only for level 4) and competes USAG (levels 4-10), so I had wondered what the difference was. She's in Level 3, so we haven't quite gotten that far yet.

Thanks for this post! My DD's gym competes AAU (I think only for level 4) and competes USAG (levels 4-10), so I had wondered what the difference was. She's in Level 3, so we haven't quite gotten that far yet.

Yes...I know of quite a few clubs that primarily compete AAU for the compulsory levels and then switch to USAG for optionals. Most of these club do not want the intensity in the lower levels...they want to focus on optional skill development.

Wow - complicated system you have there !

may I ask what the pricing differences are ( you spoke about high costs verses lower costs) and how many hours your daughters tend to train for ? We have a level system once you are out of Rec - doing some reseach my DD would be working at level 6 I think on your system.

My gym offers rates from £4.50 per hour for rec, with discounts for girls training more often.

Thanks

'margo

Wow - complicated system you have there !

may I ask what the pricing differences are ( you spoke about high costs verses lower costs) and how many hours your daughters tend to train for ? We have a level system once you are out of Rec - doing some reseach my DD would be working at level 6 I think on your system.

My gym offers rates from £4.50 per hour for rec, with discounts for girls training more often.

Thanks

'margo

Check out some of these:

hours - Search Results - The Chalk Bucket

Ahttp://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/tags/hours.htmllso...there is a similar thread area on the bottom of each thread where you may find some more threads on this topic.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back