What level does your competitive team start at?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momofthreegirls

Coach
Proud Parent
I'm just curious. :)

At the gym my DDs attend, competitive team used to start at USAG level 4, but they just added a level 3 team this year.

When I did competitive gymnastics (late 80s/early 90s) our gym started competition at level 5.

Also, does your gym have a pre-team, or developmental team track program?

Our gym has two levels of pre-team - one for ages 4-6 and one for 7 and up. They are prepping the younger girls for level 3, and the older girls for level 3 or 4.

We have 2 preteam levels by invitation only. The first one is level 1/2 and are girls that are generally 4 and 5. The second preteam level is 3/4 and it is generally kindergarden ages 5 and 6. Some of the girls in this second level class try out and if they are invited can compete a very relaxed level 3 competition team. (No state competition and sign up for the competitions you want to attend.) There is an extra 2 hour practice one day per week for these girls at no additional cost. Our team starts competing at USAG level 4 but I hear it is very difficult to make this team. For the girls that don't make USAG, there is a level 4 competitive recreational team and prepoptional.
It is interesting to note that there is no preteam route for girls that are over 6 other than attending a school age class and the option of trying out for the level 3 team. I just realized that while typing this and I think this may be a bad thing because older girls get skills faster and are strong.
My 4 year old dd is at the second level and will be in the level 3 competition group. Her birthday comes under the wire and she has all of her skills. She told me to count up the weeks for her! Cute! She will be the youngest so I hope it goes well.

At dd's gym team starts at 5. Level 4s compete, but they're considered pre-team. She started as a 7 at this gym so I'm not sure how the pre-team works, but there seem to be several pre-team groups.

At ds's gym team starts at level 4. There's no pre-team, but there are several accelerated developmental classes. I believe anyone from rec or developmental classes can tryout for team.

Our gym begins competitive team at L5. The pre-team program is a 3 level one and they have to have certain skills to move up within that program. The training is geared toward the girls competing L5, so they don't learn mill circles or any L4 routines. No real age grouping in pre-team. It is by invite only and then move up is based on skill testing.

As of this year, my boys don't start competition until level 5.

I have a preteam group and a noncompetitive "level 4" group, though.

I am a coach and a parent at our gym. We start competing at level 4. We have 3 levels of preteam divided by skill and sometimes age. The preteams compete in fun meets - no scores, just ribbons on the events and an all around medal. My daughter is in a group with 5-7 year olds and they will probably do level 3 on most events. Their first fun meet is in March. We don't have a "fast track" group. If kids are progressing quickly we move them up. Sometimes a gymnast might skip level 4 and start right at 5 out of preteam or we have a few kids who compete one meet of level 6 and move to level 7.

The gym I coach at starts the girls team at level 4 (there is a possibility to start with level 5, depending on the individual). There really isn't a set pre-team at this point, but we are trying to get one started. As it is now, there is a level 1-3 rec. class that comes for an hour 1 or 2 times a week for ages 5 & up. The girls stay in that class until they can pass off all level 3 skills. From there they move into the team group which is pre-competitive to level 5. There is quite a span of skills in that group, so it's pretty obvious why we are trying to split it into pre-team and level 4/5 competitive! Some girls think that they will be competing because they have been moved to "team", even though they are nowhere near all of the skills needed for level 4.
I like seeing how other gyms format their teams to get some ideas for our group.

4. We do have a preteam but selection is limited. You pretty much need to already be working toward the L4 skills to be on preteam, and just not have all of them without spot. I'd say the main thing most of them are missing now is RO BHS without spot/mats but it's not really pushed until sooner when they start competing. And of course form, coordination, presentation, maturity, etc.

I have no idea how the new structure will shake out, I don't know how I feel about making the standard competition at L1. I admit it seems rather silly, but then again that's because we haven't been doing it. We'll also have to see how level difficulty adjusts, clearly that will make a difference. I understand what they're aiming but think they went about it the wrong way. Great for huge machine gyms that can compete a hundred L1s, I guess, but I think other programs will lose out. Also I think one reason we are seeing people hesistant to make commitments is because of what in many ways has become standard at low levels. When I did L4, we did two meets, didn't go to states (regardless of qualification, only home meets). Oh and you had a sleeveless leo, no warm ups (wear your own stuff). Now at the same gym if you are L4 you are doing all travel meets, parents doing meets with airfare, full uniform with expensive leo+warmup. This is not outside the norm either, other gyms seem to have followed the same path. Now let's hold on a minute. We are constantly hearing about retention, how are these average programs competing for fitness and personal development supposed to retain families when we are telling them in L1-4 you're going to spend all this money for your kid to participate? "Flashy" programs might be able to sell that, I guess, but from another side of the story I don't know how I feel. I'd rather see more encouragement of the prep-op type program (AND community outreach like actually supporting school gymnastics programs) than the direction this has gone.

Our gym starts competing at Level 4. The two tiers below that are developmental and preteam. Both are invite only and pull from the rec classes. Developmental is geared toward younger children - ages 3 to 6 or so. Preteam is for kids advancing from developmental or for older children who clearly have ability. Occasionally, a child will come into a rec class and immediately be moved to preteam and very shortly thereafter to team. These kids usually are a bit older (8 to 10) and obviously talented - they pick up the Level 4 skills and routines very quickly.

Our Level 4s and 5s do not travel out of the state for meets, though there are leo and warmup expenses. Levels 6 through 10 do travel for a couple of meets a year, plus of course regionals and nationals for Levels 8 through 10. It seems more important at the optional levels.

Meg

At my gym people start meets and competing at level 4. We do have a pre team which is all of the level 3s. Our gym hosts fun meets for the kids not on team and other kids from other gyms come and usually the level 3 preteam girls will compete in a certain session not with recreational kids. The level 3s do various shows in front of many people to get them use to how it will feel like to perform in front of others. They preteam does work on routines but they enforce strength more so when they move up to level 4 they will be prepared. As for level 2, which younger ages compete, our gym does not want girls to compete on a level or age like that because if you start from level 2 they have a feeling you may burn out or get sick of gymnastics by level 5.(which would like rarely happen in my opinion!) I think thats not 100% true at ALL and I think it sounds like a fun level for younger kids thats what makes my gym so crazy sometimes!!

4. We do have a preteam but selection is limited. You pretty much need to already be working toward the L4 skills to be on preteam, and just not have all of them without spot. I'd say the main thing most of them are missing now is RO BHS without spot/mats but it's not really pushed until sooner when they start competing. And of course form, coordination, presentation, maturity, etc.

I have no idea how the new structure will shake out, I don't know how I feel about making the standard competition at L1. I admit it seems rather silly, but then again that's because we haven't been doing it. We'll also have to see how level difficulty adjusts, clearly that will make a difference. I understand what they're aiming but think they went about it the wrong way. Great for huge machine gyms that can compete a hundred L1s, I guess, but I think other programs will lose out. Also I think one reason we are seeing people hesistant to make commitments is because of what in many ways has become standard at low levels. When I did L4, we did two meets, didn't go to states (regardless of qualification, only home meets). Oh and you had a sleeveless leo, no warm ups (wear your own stuff). Now at the same gym if you are L4 you are doing all travel meets, parents doing meets with airfare, full uniform with expensive leo+warmup. This is not outside the norm either, other gyms seem to have followed the same path. Now let's hold on a minute. We are constantly hearing about retention, how are these average programs competing for fitness and personal development supposed to retain families when we are telling them in L1-4 you're going to spend all this money for your kid to participate? "Flashy" programs might be able to sell that, I guess, but from another side of the story I don't know how I feel. I'd rather see more encouragement of the prep-op type program (AND community outreach like actually supporting school gymnastics programs) than the direction this has gone.
I totally agree! There are so many girls at the gym I coach at who could be in the team group, but choose to stay in the rec. classes because they can't afford the extra money or time commitment.
I understand that USAG wants to do this so kids can start competing right away like in recreational soccer leagues and what not, but it's just not logical with gymnastics. Leos, meets, travel, coaching, are all expensive even at the lower levels. I can see kids coming into the gym looking into the program and just leaving or deciding on T&T instead because of the cost involved with competitive gymnastics.
You don't keep families coming back by charging them an arm and a leg at their first lesson.

I totally agree! There are so many girls at the gym I coach at who could be in the team group, but choose to stay in the rec. classes because they can't afford the extra money or time commitment.
I understand that USAG wants to do this so kids can start competing right away like in recreational soccer leagues and what not, but it's just not logical with gymnastics. Leos, meets, travel, coaching, are all expensive even at the lower levels. I can see kids coming into the gym looking into the program and just leaving or deciding on T&T instead because of the cost involved with competitive gymnastics.
You don't keep families coming back by charging them an arm and a leg at their first lesson.

Although, maybe with a different structure, that could change. I have reservations though. We just don't really have the numbers in terms of officials and facilities to so easily and inexpensively organize competitions as a sport like soccer. I think more unsanctioned rec leagues would probably be a good thing. Of course there's not as much in it for USAG. But again I think there hasn't been much outreach of gymnastics gyms, in fact it seems like some people are attempting to do their best to alienate others who might be interested...i.e. cheer, high school gym. This is not a good path. Already we have these school programs disappearing. I think this will not be a good thing for gymnastics gyms in the long run, even if they mostly see themselves as a USAG program. Gymnastics has done a great job creating a really well organized and safe progressive athletic environment....but it hasn't necessarily done a great job going outside a rigid structure to promote participation past a certain age...and I think keeping a lot of things the same but just saying "hey, you have a nice looking cartwheel, welcome to team!" is not really going to be the thing to do it. We'll still have kids in and out before level 4...and meanwhile we're preparing them to compete, for many gyms this is going to imply a more expensive/less profit program...so I don't know. I'm open to seeing what comes, it's going to happen the way it does, but I have some reservations. The main issue I see is that the girls don't progress past a certain level and are getting older and don't want to be in compulsory groups. I'm in a state that just got a prep op program...in a short time they had more than double the kids they thought would participate signed up for state.

We have a Jr Team, which is level 3, and they do compete. Then we have the Sr. Team, which is levels 4-10. Our highest level is a level 8/9, and so only the 7s and 8s travel out of state (only regionals)

We start our competition teams at level 1. Which is basically the same for all gyms in Australia.

I could see the level 1 - 3 competing in very local meets in their own leos and no warmups. That would be fun. However - it appears - at least around here - it is an unwritten rule for very local gyms to compete in each other's meets. I guess if you pretend the others don't exist then they don't.

There are 5-6 gyms in a 50 mile radius of our gym. If they were all "friendly" to each other - then that could be 4-6 fun meets for the younger levels that would not be much travel. Would be like competing for your school. However I understand the gyms do not want the parents seeing and being attracted to the other competitor gyms...

BTW - our gym starts at level 4 competitive and Prep Opt Rookie 1 for the less competitive. Anyone in pre-team or girls 3 rec class can compete on the Rookie 1 team. Some use it as a step to level 4.

Our gym starts competing at level 4. We have 3 levels of pre teams. It is split up by skill/age. They do have a couple of in house meets a year. Our level 4 through 6 stay in the state of VA for meets. Our optional girls which is level 7-10 travel to a few out of state/country meets a year.

Our girls start competing at level 4--here in MN there is no competition before that. I'm not sure why, but the "team" is considered 5-10--you don't join the booster club until level 5, for example--maybe because 4 just started a few years ago?? (Beth's group was the first to compete level 4 for our gym) 4s don't invited to the annual team banquet even.

There is a team track program, but girls in rec classes can also try out, so if you don't get invited to the team track, that doesn't mean you can never try out for team. And we have a Hopes program now. Not sure how well that's going--they seem to struggle with skills.

We are in Mississippi-a very non-gymnastics state. LOL Every gym here starts competiting at level 1. Very few gyms have upper levels. Those that do, can't do well competiting outside the state of MS. So yes, our girls start at level one. We are at a very small gym.One level 4, 2 level 3s, one level 2 and 67 level ones. The nearest gym is 2 cities away. The other gym is the opposite direction and 2 cities away. Our girls go out of state to compete. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back