Parents what makes a phenom?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
I understand the meaning of the word, but I see it thrown around a lot. However, it's usually to say their kid isn't one.

It seems that different gyms/circumstances also play into it.
So, who would be considered a phenom?

A kid who can chuck high level skills (does them in gym)?

Young aged Optionals? But doesn't score matter?

Kindergartners who can BT? Would those even be taught at your gym?

From the little I know, in my opinion it is a special child that not only is physically gifted and the right build etc, but also has the mental capacity. I saw one boy take every single correction from the time he was 6. When I say every correction, I mean the coach told him one time, how to do it, showed him, and the kid did it perfectly every time from that point on. His focus was incredible. Extremely focused and a perfectionist. Picked up skills immediately. Liked to condition with the L10s....for fun
The kid really had his goals to WIN EVERY MEET.....I don't think it was the parents....it was too weirdly childish to want this....but he did.....he since moved on to an Olympic gym and is already in the top 3 in the country.....he is a phenom.
I have seen two girls, one (7) is physically gifted, flexible....but mentally a mess and the parents will ruin her. Another (6) I don't know yet....I am still observing. There was one a few years ago (5), but she has disappeared.....I don't know what happened after she moved to a big time gym....

Last edited:
I would say that for ME, a phenom would be a young gymnast who has all the physical attributes to succeed, picks up skills very easily and fast and has the mental fortitude to get through the levels quickly (to upper level optionals at an early age) without developing crippling fears or holdbacks. If you're really lucky they are also coachable with great work ethics!!

Reactions: sce
I would say a 7 yr old getting ready to move to optionals is a "phenom." ;) There certainly aren't any around here.

No, I do not think scores at lower compulsory levels are necessarily a predictor of how far a child can go in gymnastics.

Mine can chuck high level skills, but aside from being told "lots of potential," I haven't heard her described as a phenom.

My guess would be a Gabby Douglas? I think you are correct about the "right" gyms too. Clearly Shawn Johnson and Jordan wieber were very talented, but how lucky for them to live right by gedderts and chow's. I'm thinking if all the planets and moons are aligned perfectly, plus you have natural talent and mental fortitude, then you have a phenom.

At one time my child was labeled a "phenom", which I didn't like since that put a LOT of pressure on him. We also lived in a small town, so big fish, small pond. Now he has mental blocks and he's slowing down in picking up skills. I haven't heard that term used for him in awhile. :p

I saw a 5 year old phenom once. Kid just had naturally amazing form, and picked up skills so easily. Could do BWO with straight legs- leg lifted to above shoulder height, through splits, down to arabesque, after her first gym session. Could do multiple press to handstands, again with gorgeous form.

Did one regional meet. Fell off beam 3 times and still won the event, she was that good. Also fell off bars, won floor, 2nd AA.

Was immediately fast tracked to elite. Fine on beam and floor, hated bars, hated conditioning. Was pushed and pushed and quit before she was 8.

I've never seen a kid walk into a gym and immediately look that polished and beautiful to watch though.

I don't think it's the phenoms that always "make it" though. They are just amazingly good very young. You still can't predict they won't get fears, lose interest, find it too hard...my nothing special workhorse DD was beating the phenom by the time they were 8, purely because she was stronger mentally.

I think it's definitely relative to some extent. What looks like a phenom to some people in a particular gym/area may actually be pretty common in another gym.
I almost said this exact thing!! I've had parents tell me that my DD was a phenom & prodigy because she's been the youngest on her team the past 2 years. While I do think she has great body awareness, passion for it & is probably unusually attentive at a young age, & I think she stands out at this gym. I don't think if we went to some elite gym, that she would stand out as much. So I do believe it's completely relative to the gym & area.

Phenom...
  • a person who is outstandingly talented or admired, especially an up-and-comer.
  • a person who is very good at doing something (such as a sport)
A gymnast can only be a phenom if described as so by the correct person (a very experienced coach).

A phenom in gymnastics can hammer out AMAZING SKILLS as well as WIN in a competition. A phenom would have amazing MENTAL CLARITY for their age.

i agree with it being a lot about perspective. plus, sometimes it seems to refer to age while sometimes it refers to simply having amazing skills at any age.

Dictionaries have a couple of definitions.
phe·nom
ˈfēˌnäm,fiˈnäm/
noun
NORTH AMERICANinformal
a person who is outstandingly talented or admired, especially an up-and-comer.

phe·nom
noun\ˈfē-ˌnäm, fi-ˈnäm\
: a person who is very good at doing something (such as a sport)

I thought it might be short for "phenomenally talented person" and that everyone was just really lazy.

Do you North American types use it ever outside of gymnastics?

We would probably use "freak" meant in an "in awe" kind of way. Which I guess is not so politically correct".

I almost said this exact thing!! I've had parents tell me that my DD was a phenom & prodigy because she's been the youngest on her team the past 2 years. While I do think she has great body awareness, passion for it & is probably unusually attentive at a young age, & I think she stands out at this gym. I don't think if we went to some elite gym, that she would stand out as much. So I do believe it's completely relative to the gym & area.
Yup! Same thing here. I do have a "7 year old working toward optionals" but in a tiny gym in a "weaker" gymnastics area geographically, so as proud as I am, I know she's not in the same ballpark as the 7 year olds elsewhere! :)

Hi- I'm new here and just have a quick question.... My daughter is 6 1/2, and has been in gymnastics since 2. She can do some high level skills (I think they are high level for her age), but she taught herself them- she does none of them at her gym (which is part of my frustration). She started doing front flips on our trampoline at age 2, taught herself a backhand spring at age 4, started doing unassisted back tucks with really decent form at age 5, can do an alright front handspring on the ground and wants to learn a front handspring front tuck on the trampoline- I said not yet- , she figured out a kip on her home bar a month ago, and just did a back handspring back tuck with really decent form for the first time at a trampoline park last night.

Here's my frustration. She learns these things, and is so excited and asks to show a coach at practice, and they say no- they don't practice any of these skills except handstands and back walk overs, and now this year finally, back handsprings. And with her able to do all of these things, her team (level3) all performs at an average 8.5-9.2ish..... We get beat, and I'm frustrated- these are easy skills for her, and all of these other teams are 9.5s in the 7 and under groups, and my daughter and her teammates look great and earn 8.5s and 9.2s. I'm not sure her gym is the correct place for her.

So my questions:

1. Are her skills only on the average, high average, or abnormally high side?
2. Where should I go from here? Anywhere??
3. Should I be even worried about this or should I feel- well, she's having fun, let her just continue to have fun?

Thanks for your help..... I really am torn...

First, she should not be teaching herself skills at home. Some of what she will learn that way will have to be retaught correctly before she can move on to other skills that build on them. It sounds like she has some real natural aptitude for the sport, so with good coaching in a strong gym, she could go far!

As for your gym, what does your optional program look like? A decent number of L9s and L10s? Some girls placing well at regionals, going to nationals, possibly placing there? Some college scholarships? Some gyms do not perfect compulsory routines, focusing instead on building strong foundational skills, while others just don't produce the most competitive gymnasts at any level.

Reactions: sce
Well I assume all 7 year olds in non rec programs are "working towards optionals" in the same way I am "working towards death". Difference being I will definitely reach death, the 7 years olds might not reach optionals no matter how "phenom" like they are. Way too many variables, pushy parents, crap coaches, not liking gym, other interests, lack of money etc etc

Hi- I'm new here and just have a quick question.... My daughter is 6 1/2, and has been in gymnastics since 2. She can do some high level skills (I think they are high level for her age), but she taught herself them- she does none of them at her gym (which is part of my frustration). She started doing front flips on our trampoline at age 2, taught herself a backhand spring at age 4, started doing unassisted back tucks with really decent form at age 5, can do an alright front handspring on the ground and wants to learn a front handspring front tuck on the trampoline- I said not yet- , she figured out a kip on her home bar a month ago, and just did a back handspring back tuck with really decent form for the first time at a trampoline park last night.

Here's my frustration. She learns these things, and is so excited and asks to show a coach at practice, and they say no- they don't practice any of these skills except handstands and back walk overs, and now this year finally, back handsprings. And with her able to do all of these things, her team (level3) all performs at an average 8.5-9.2ish..... We get beat, and I'm frustrated- these are easy skills for her, and all of these other teams are 9.5s in the 7 and under groups, and my daughter and her teammates look great and earn 8.5s and 9.2s. I'm not sure her gym is the correct place for her.

So my questions:

1. Are her skills only on the average, high average, or abnormally high side?
2. Where should I go from here? Anywhere??
3. Should I be even worried about this or should I feel- well, she's having fun, let her just continue to have fun?

Thanks for your help..... I really am torn...
That sounds just like my daughter. We have been told "raw talent" and "lots of potential." Part of the issue is form--the skills need to be performed with the correct form before being competed. We have the same issue with her coaches not wanting to even look at any of the skills and telling her not to do them. It's really frustrating for her. As far as phenom, I think "phenoms" have the added components of naturally good form and great focus.

They start the kids at level one around here, so she started at level 1. She did not have good coaching last year, and all the girls got scores likes you describe above (8.5-9.2-ish). We switched gyms, and in the year, I can see huge improvements in form. She's finally starting to win/place well. I was looking at videos from last year, and they are so cute, but she looks like she's flinging herself around. Anyways, if you live in an area with good gyms, you might want to explore other options if she has that kind of aptitude.

As far as being worried about it, it depends on your goals in the sport. If you want her to reach maximum potential, you should find a gym that can help her achieve it. If it's just for fun, then yes, continue to let her have fun, esp if she loves her gym and teammates. If your child can do all of those skills and is frustrated, maybe a program that will progress her faster would be a better fit for her too. The programs around here that are focused on compulsories just spend most of practice working on the routines, so they don't learn skills as fast-

Well I assume all 7 year olds in non rec programs are "working towards optionals" in the same way I am "working towards death".

Lol!! :D:D:D Working towards death might be easier than working towards optionals. I guess it depends on how fast you want to get there. :p

I think I said that above. The op has a 7 yr old going into optionals next season. I meant that a 7 yr old starting optionals sounds like a phenom to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back