What skills will be in the new 2013 level 4 and 5 routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnast4

I was wondering what new skills will be added or taken out of the level 4 and level 5 routines when they change in 2013. Anyone know?

Essentially, L5 will have the current level 6 skills and L4 will have the current level 5 skills but will have different sequences. I think they have also offered more choices - like the ability to do a bhs on beam in L5.

That is right. On page 14 of the recent Technique magazine the 2013-2020 compulsory skills were officially released. We all know the level #'s are shifting downward- so new 3 (current 4) all skills stay the same with the option of doing a glide kip mount on bars OR the current glide pull over mount. Also new 5 (current 6) can do a bwo, a back extension roll, OR a BHS step out on beam. Other than that- everything skill wise is the same. Only the music and routines will change. Now as for the optional levels.... only time will tell.

Looks like the mens gymnastics is changing too. My son who is now a team coach came home this weekend complaining about it. He said they will start at L3 instead of L4 for the comp levels and like the girls L4 skills are in the L3 now but made even eaiser. When he and the other coaches went over the different level requirements things were made soooooo much easier that he fears the current boys on the team are going to freak out at how much easier it is or they are going to have to move them up more than one level this year to get them to the level that will challenge them and still do the skills they already know how to do. Guerss it will be an interesting time for boys and girls.

GymBee, our men's coach said that it's even worse, because whatever USAG presents at the workshops this spring is only the first step -- they'll be updating and tweaking the compulsory routines all summer. Thank goodness our boys usually don't do their first meet until December!

profmom that's what my son said too. He said the changes made it rediculously easy to the point he knows there are going to be some interesting conversations with parents and gymnasts this season.

When changes like this are proposed (every four years, right?), how close are the final routines to the proposed routines usually?

When they present the routines, (for women at least,) they are the final version. They will be available to learn about a year from now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back