What we were thinking

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipper's fan

Proud Parent
I noticed some comments made by coaches about parents in a few different threads here that I really found myself wanting to say- hey, that's not at all what it looks like!

Sometimes, we need to put ourselves in the other person's shoes. For example, one comment was about a child who was tired at gym practice because he went to before school care. The coach thought it was a waste of time. I thought gee, that parent must have to work in order to be able to afford gymnastics training. The whole family is probably making sacrifices for this child to be able to pursue a dream.

Another thread was about eating during practice. There were sure some outrageous stories, like all the parents at a gym getting doctor's notes! But sometimes, it's just really hard to get in a meal between a child's school schedule, the parents' works schedules, and gymnastics practice. Some of us travel far or sit in lots of traffic to get our kids to your gym. Some of us don't want yet another meal out of a drive through window and a bag for our children. Some kids like their meal after practice, when they are ravenously hungry and they won't have too much food in their belly to flip it over the high bar. I can sure respect that you don't want to use practice time for eating, and I appreciate that the money paid for gymnastics training is going towards that purpose. But maybe it makes sense to have an approved snack list that kids can bring to the gym that can be eaten with fingers during a water break and that is healthy, like apple slices, carrots, crackers, energy bar. I'm sure some outrageous parent would find a way to abuse the privilege but it sure would make life easier for us working and commuting folks.

And feel free to post about ways that parents misunderstand coaches. It's better if we all communicate with each other. I for one would like our coaches to feel respected.:rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back