What's the best way to heal up a rip...QUICK?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
I know this question has been asked before but I wanted to get the expert's advice about how to heal up a rip quickly. DD got a rip about quarter-size tonight at practice...she competes on Sunday afternoon.

What's the best thing we can do for it until Sunday to have it heal up as much as possible? Socks and lotion at night? (she refuses to do this but I bet if a bunch of wise folks tell her do do it on here, she might.:rolleyes:)

She does not wear grips and she has one more practice tomorrow. Should I ask that she not do bars tomorrow?

Any advice welcome.

My DD swears by the sock and Burts Bees Wax hand salve. She gets huge rips all the time.
As for practice tomorrow maybe she put some tape over the rip.

we use new skin on an open rip during practice. at bed time we put on "Bag Balm" and it heals with in a few days. You can get it at any drug store like wal greens, CVS, Rite Aid etc

Bag Balm for us too! Once, I bought a fancy "gymnastics" salve, but as far as I can tell it was just very expensive bag balm - looks, smells, and feels the same. Also, we always trim away the extra dead skin so it doesn't rip more around the edges. I like to use the tiny scissors on a small pocket knife because they are flat and sharp making getting close to the hand very easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
we clip away the skin to with nail scissors you know the really thin ones that are a bit curved. and yes the bag balm does have a smell you can't miss LOL

hist-02-sm.jpg

Oh if you can't find it in the pharmacy look in the local feed and grain store as its original uses is for chaffed cow udders and is still used for that today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't laugh, but our gym swears by preparation H! Also, Vitamin E - pop the capsule and drip the oil straight on the rip.

As for practice - if it isn't bleeding, our gym has them wear a tape grip and practice.

Hope she feels better soon and good luck on Sunday!

Don't laugh, but our gym swears by preparation H! Also, Vitamin E - pop the capsule and drip the oil straight on the rip.

As for practice - if it isn't bleeding, our gym has them wear a tape grip and practice.

Hope she feels better soon and good luck on Sunday!

I had heard the prep H thing before. I would most definitely have to disguise that, not sure I could get my daughter to put that on her hand, she had enough trouble with the idea of something you put on a cow udder! LOL.

that is all we use. the parents look at us funny when we tell them to use that but it definitely gets better in a days

Yes the Prep H works too. We did try that but my DD broke out from it. So I don't recommend it to folks when the bag balm work I think better and doesn't break out DD.

I have bag balm sitting next to me as I type this! I am a big fan and I think it works well in a pinch. I do think HandeBalm seem to be better in the gym. It seems to have a little pain killing aspect to it and if dd needs to wrap it up and keep going that is her first choice. The bag balm (CVS always seems to have it) is longer lasting and if dd puts it on before bed her rip looks great in the morning. Funny note - I just read Shania Twain uses it as her moisturizer on her face so I wouldn't worry about the cow thing. : )

At my gym we dont even touch bars if we have a rip
as for me i just pop my rips and put neosporin on them they heal up within two to three days

jerisloan

At my gym we dont even touch bars if we have a rip
as for me i just pop my rips and put neosporin on them they heal up within two to three days

jerisloan

Oh no popping a rip can be dangerous it can lead to infections really quickly. Just like a blister shouldn't be popped.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back